• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quintessential Watch for the Travelling Businessman

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
A pilot showed me his watch once. I didn't remember the brand, but it was a 24 hour watch, which is set to GMT, and the bezel is adjusted to mark the timezone. No matter where he went, all he had to do was glance at the timezone info on his flight information, for example GMT -3, and twist the bezel 3 hours behind. No real hassle when traveling. I'd like to find one like it because I think it is a great watch for travel, plus a great conversation piece.
The Glycine Airman? There's a bewoldering array of models, but they are all 24-hour watches. Universal Geneve also made this type, I think. Vintage Airmen go for around $1000, or somewhat more, these days. I also seem to be promoting Bill Yao's MkII watches a lot lately; I promise you, I have no shares in the company. The new LRRP model, with a GMT/UTC function looks very promising. The custom programme there lets you pick your case/dial/hands/crystal/bezel etc., and put together your own watch. And you can get completely unmarked dials. I generally hate logos and writing on my stuff.

Germanicus

Reaction score
Patek Philippe World Time

5110-240188-worldtime.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ this is the answer. Previous generation PP world time. I have a soft spot for the 5110P (platinum) as the dial is a true beauty

1.jpg

dpw

Reaction score
i guess it depends on where you are going. a friend of mine was stupid enough to wear a gold rolex on a business trip to africa. a couple of the locals noticed and attempted to steal the watch with a machette. that's right ...arm and all. luckily for him, someone came along and helped him out or he would be eating left handed.

i always always used a plastic swatch while running around the 3rd world.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
The Glycine Airman? There's a bewoldering array of models, but they are all 24-hour watches.

Universal Geneve also made this type, I think. Vintage Airmen go for around $1000, or somewhat more, these days.

I also seem to be promoting Bill Yao's MkII watches a lot lately; I promise you, I have no shares in the company. The new LRRP model, with a GMT/UTC function looks very promising.

The custom programme there lets you pick your case/dial/hands/crystal/bezel etc., and put together your own watch. And you can get completely unmarked dials. I generally hate logos and writing on my stuff.

Yes, I think you're right, it was the Glycine Airman. Very nice looking watch, very functional too. Hmm. I really didn't need you to tell me what brand it was, now I'm going to figure out if I can budget in a new watch. . .

lordofpi

Reaction score
My Omega Speedmaster is not the most high-end watch I own by any means, but it probably gets more use than any other in my catalogue due to its versatility and subtlety -- dress, casual, sport, and under water.

I don't travel abroad much (though I do travel a broad much), but you can believe that when I do, I wear no jewelry whatsoever -- especially not a watch! Dpw's post about his friend is similar to what a cousin of mine and her husband told me happened to them in Argentina somewhere while wearing matching gold Rolexes. Number one, out of plain self-interest, you know that it is likely to happen that you will attract the attention of potential pick-pockets and robbers. Number two, why would one flaunt jewels in areas where most people can barely afford to eat? It just smacks of aristocratic haughtiness (even if that is not the way it is intended).

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dpw
i guess it depends on where you are going. a friend of mine was stupid enough to wear a gold rolex on a business trip to africa. a couple of the locals noticed and attempted to steal the watch with a machette. that's right ...arm and all. luckily for him, someone came along and helped him out or he would be eating left handed. i always always used a plastic swatch while running around the 3rd world.
I'm guessing he was white? Usually if they see someone who looks local, they'll just assume its fake and ignore them. If you look like a tourist or visitor, watch out. I've done a bit of traveling here and there, and I would wear my Omega SMP pretty much anywhere and everywhere without worry. It's pretty low-key, so I would be pretty shocked if some thugs noticed it. Now carrying a blackberry on the other hand, in some places that will get you a gun in your face.

Grayson

Reaction score
My own choice was the Omega Speedmaster....

omega-speedmaster_h.jpg

It's subtle enough to be under to RADAR of those who you'd rather not notice your watch, but has the quality to be noticed by those who really do matter.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

micbain

Reaction score
or you could buy whatever watch you want and check different timezones on your phone
smile.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No such thing as a "quintessential watch" imo. Depends really on your needs- most travellers don't even need a dualt time zone function. Just get the watch that you fancy and wear it well.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JLC Master Compressor Geographic is my choice

L1010073.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads