• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford

Pb924

Reaction score
What’s the consensus these days on the go-to sub $500 shoe? It appears the Alfred Sargent Armfields are no longer in production?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the consensus these days on the go-to sub $500 shoe? It appears the Alfred Sargent Armfields are no longer in production?
I really like my Loake Laxford.

JUAN MANUEL

Reaction score
The Cheaney Alfred is quite nice. Also the TLB Mallorca Williams.
The Cheaney Alfred is great. A more affordable option is the Loake Aldwych or the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. All of them with a non sleek last.

The opening posts in this thread could be helpful.

DrewMill

Reaction score
The Cheaney Alfred is great. A more affordable option is the Loake Aldwych or the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. All of them with a non sleek last.

The opening posts in this thread could be helpful.
I would suggest the Loake over the AE. I'm not a fan of the Park Avenue's stubby cap. For some reason it looks much better on the Strand than the PA.

Pb924

Reaction score
Thanks for the recs. I’m actually leaning more toward an English shoe (eg C&J) or alternatively I’m thinking of trying Meccariello. The latter has been on my radar for a while and this may be my opportunity to give AM a go. I also have a slightly high instep which I believe works well for AM. I was bummed when I couldn’t find any Armfields for sale as I used to have a pair that was a half size too small but otherwise loved.

terrorsquad

Reaction score
Guys,I’ve been torn for 6 months on getting a black captoe for my daily wear.I’ve ruled out Vass on the F last given the leather is not to my liking (I’ve had almost 30 pairs in the past 8 years). I’m contemplating should i proceed with the C&J Audley on the 337 last or should i go with the EG Chelsea on the 202/82 last or John Lobb City II. If i had the budget i would want to get Fukuda’s but this shoe will have limited use,inly the most formal of occasions (I now get by with tassel loafers in black). My main criteria is leather quality (I love EG in this regard) but wanted to get some thoughts on this

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's