• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you describe the instep of the Chisel 2 last?
I'm more worried about the width at the ball, as I have thin but wideish feet. Can you provide your opinion on this matter?
BTW, awesome shoes!!!

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
How would you describe the instep of the Chisel 2 last?

I'm more worried about the width at the ball, as I have thin but wideish feet. Can you provide your opinion on this matter?
BTW, awesome shoes!!!

OK. Here's something about me, as a back story, as a reference:

I have pretty normal feet with fairly normal instep (lucky me). US 10.5 D Brannock, and standard UK 9.5 on most lasts. My favorite last in terms of fit being Carmina Rain, true-to-size. I can wear Carmina Inca, Carmina Forest, Meermin Hiro, Meermin Elthon, TLB Picasso lasts true-to-size (UK 9.5) and Carmina Simpson, Meermin New Rey, Meermin Olfe half-size up (UK 10) comfortably. I have no problem whatsoever (at least, not a major one) with most US 10.5D shoes and UK 9.5 shoes.

I wear Chisel 2 at UK 10, as suggested in the sizing guide on Antonio Meccariello website, with comfort. Actually, it is one of the best fitting lasts I have ever put my feet into.

It fits me even better than Carmina Rain. Instep, Ball, and Heel are perfect fit. No uncomfortability felt anywhere. No upper break-in ever necessary. No ball pain. No heel slip. Perfect V-gap size for an Oxford. If there's one definition of "Perfect Fit" for me, this is it.

That's just me, though. As anything fitting, your mileage may vary. So, if your feet are wider (i.e., E or EE), I would say consult Antonio as his shoes can be ordered in wider sizes. If yours are narrower (say, a B-width), then maybe you don't have to size up (UK 9.5 -> UK 10) like I do, but I think maybe you can just ask him for advice on this matter.

Hope this helps, even if a little bit.

Last edited:

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK. Here's something about me, as a back story, as a reference:

I have pretty normal feet with fairly normal instep (lucky me). US 10.5 D Brannock, and standard UK 9.5 on most lasts. My favorite last in terms of fit being Carmina Rain, true-to-size. I can wear Carmina Inca, Carmina Forest, Meermin Hiro, Meermin Elthon, TLB Picasso lasts true-to-size (UK 9.5) and Carmina Simpson, Meermin New Rey, Meermin Olfe half-size up (UK 10) comfortably. I have no problem whatsoever (at least, not a major one) with most US 10.5D shoes and UK 9.5 shoes.

I wear Chisel 2 at UK 10, as suggested in the sizing guide on Antonio Meccariello website, with comfort. Actually, it is one of the best fitting lasts I have ever put my feet into.

It fits me even better than Carmina Rain. Instep, Ball, and Heel are perfect fit. No uncomfortability felt anywhere. No upper break-in ever necessary. No ball pain. No heel slip. Perfect V-gap size for an Oxford. If there's one definition of "Perfect Fit" for me, this is it.

That's just me, though. As anything fitting, your mileage may vary. So, if your feet are wider (i.e., E or EE), I would say consult Antonio as his shoes can be ordered in wider sizes. If yours are narrower (say, a B-width), then maybe you don't have to size up (UK 9.5 -> UK 10) like I do, but I think maybe you can just ask him for advice on this matter.

Hope this helps, even if a little bit.
Absolutely helpful, thank you! I have somewhat normal feel with a slightly higher instep. I’ll reach out to Antonio is email.

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
Absolutely helpful, thank you! I have somewhat normal feel with a slightly higher instep. I’ll reach out to Antonio is email.

You’re welcome.

On record, I wouldn’t describe the instep as low-ish. It’s perfectly regular if I have to put it. I think if yours aren’t overly high, there shouldn’t be a problem. Maybe with just slightly wider V than mine, that should get better once broken-in.

Last edited:

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
^ thank you! Any first hand opinion is helpful, and yours is very complete too! :cheers:
You’re welcome. In short, I would describe it as perfectly regular fit. Not narrow at all. (Provide that you choose sizing correctly, as described in the sizing guide).

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re welcome.

On record, I wouldn’t describe the instep as low-ish. It’s perfectly regular if I have to put it. I think it yours aren’t overly high, there shouldn’t be a problem. Maybe with just slightly wider V than mine, that should get better once broken-in.
Thanks again, I can’t wait.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake Laxford. The F width is perfect for my wide feet. I normally wear EEE width for US brands.

F14E3868-EB47-4C5C-8AC1-18D15FA6817C.jpeg

A23D9741-1AA6-420D-B05F-6F1E39FAA34E.jpeg

BF074F9D-5BD9-44A2-87F0-B3446747E4F1.jpeg

EdT

Reaction score
My go to black oxfords, standard issue Canadian Forces navy oxfords. The older contracts with leather soles and Biltrite rubber heels were made by Aldo Shoes and the newer all rubber Vibram soles oxfords from 2002 and onwards are now made by Canada West Shoe.

Attachments

• CF Oxford Aldo.jpg
    CF Oxford Aldo.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 491

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, i am looking for a black cap toe oxford. around the 450 USD range...

I have narrowed it down to 2 options. Carmina on their Rain last and TLB Mallorca Artista on their Goya last. What do u guys think ?? is there anything else i should consider at this price range ??

Carmina on their Rain last
black_oxford_shoes_80386_l.jpg

And TLB Mallorca Artista on their Goya last.

112-GOYA-BOXCALF-NEGRO-PAIR-SIDE_L.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads