• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So does AS even offer handgrade MTO anymore?

I stopped looking at shoes for about 5 years and when I started looking again, I was really startled by the price increases for C&J. On the other hand, it was nice to see the addition of CS.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They ought to take them off their website. By the way, you should consider adding a Keats type for AFPOS. I bet it would sell well.

Wingtip77

Reaction score
I'm thinking of investing in a new pair of black Oxfords. At the moment I have just one pair, which were made by Loake, but I want something with a bit more quality and a better standard of leather.

I don't want anything too modern or chiseled, but not too old fashioned either. I' lleaning towards something like the C&J Radstock or Hallam, or maybe the Alfred Sargent Armfield (although that is getting a bit too continental in stye for its purpose).

Can anybody recommend anything else that might fit the bill? I'd rather stay in the price range of those shoes mentioned, but I'm open to all suggestions.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of investing in a new pair of black Oxfords. At the moment I have just one pair, which were made by Loake, but I want something with a bit more quality and a better standard of leather.

I don't want anything too modern or chiseled, but not too old fashioned either. I' lleaning towards something like the C&J Radstock or Hallam, or maybe the Alfred Sargent Armfield (although that is getting a bit too continental in stye for its purpose).

Can anybody recommend anything else that might fit the bill? I'd rather stay in the price range of those shoes mentioned, but I'm open to all suggestions.
Recently I purchased a pair of Consul by Church’s. I am quite happy with them to be honest. However, I would NOT pay full retail for them, which is around £450. I was fortunate to land a brand new pair for £275. (With VAT removed, it might not be a terrible deal, at around £375. If you can get them for £350 or less, you have a good deal in my opinion.)

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you mean by continental? both C&J are benchgrades at 410 pounds, one is a medium round toe and one is a square toe. Herring shoes have a lot of black cap toes to pick from.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AS 109 vs C&J 341

upload_2018-3-25_10-1-17.png

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I purchased a pair of Consul by Church’s. I am quite happy with them to be honest. However, I would NOT pay full retail for them, which is around £450. I was fortunate to land a brand new pair for £275. (With VAT removed, it might not be a terrible deal, at around £375. If you can get them for £350 or less, you have a good deal in my opinion.)

Church's diamond rubber sole are very long lasting, and definitely a good buy at the price you paid for.

Interesting that you didn't stick to the lasts that spoke to you before, as your original preferences are the smart round toes like C&J Lonsdale, EG Chelsea and Cheaney Buckingham.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church's diamond rubber sole are very long lasting, and definitely a good buy at the price you paid for.

Interesting that you didn't stick to the lasts that spoke to you before, as your original preferences are the smart round toes like C&J Lonsdale, EG Chelsea and Cheaney Buckingham.
I just liked the simple style of the Consul. I’m sure I did mention I was considering it. All those other styles are still a possibility. I would like to see them in the flesh before I go splashing the cash. Plenty of time. Literally years and years. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads