1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Sep 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. vriche

vriche Senior Member

I was referring to this pair from Quality Shop: https://www.quality-shop.com/eu/brands/carlos-santos/carlos-santos-dress-shoes-in-black.

They actually went up a little but should still be under $300. I got the Brown pair on Black Friday last year with shipping and shoe trees for under $200.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

2. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Those are fair criticisms, but I'll just say that if you're judging the last shape based solely from the pics on the Founders website, the shoes look better in real life. Their own website pictures don't do the shoes justice. But if you like a really sleek, chiseled, and elongated shape, then Founders' oxfords are not going to be to your liking, I'll admit that.

For my needs and preference for a slightly more conservative English design, I'm happy with my Founders. They definitely have a better shape than the oft recommended and lauded AE Park Avenue (though the AE 5 last gets criticized for its stodgy shape and small toe cap).

I'm no expert so I won't try to weigh in on the Goodyear vs. Blake Rapid debate except to say that @SchachMundialECapital said he'll wear his black captoe oxfords sparingly, maybe 15 times per year. I'm also in this category of needing black oxfords only for special occasions. So being worn ≈15 times per year, it's not like we're talking about a shoe that will need to be resoled every year or so. At this rate, the shoes will likely last 10+ years without needing a resole, no matter GY or Blake Rapid construction.