The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Sep 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Senior member

Manowar

Thank you for shearing, is impressive the amount of information you have organized :slayer:. I find that the Church's Consul in 173 last is missing; this is Church's most popular model.

Best regards

JM

2. manowar

manowar Senior member

@JUAN MANUEL Good call, the list has been updated.

Church's sure charges a lot for their controversial binder leather. Fortunately they offer the Consul in calf as well.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  3. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Thanks for the compilation. I have to say, price to quality and styling nothing stands out more than the AS. I have a lot of AS, but not this model. My first pair of good shoes were Aldens cap toe, so it was not something I needed, but if I were to start over, it would be AS all the way.

4. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Plus if you buy them from AFPOS, lasted shoe trees are included for free!

5. manowar

manowar Senior member

I agree that the Alfred Sargent stands out in that price point. Amazingly, AFPOS sells them for the same price as Herring, with lasted trees and Saphir wax included!

Also keep in mind that the Herring Charles II is made by Alfred Sargent on the same last as the Armfield. If the only difference is the open channel stitching then that's a good value.

There were some other great value options that stood out to me in the finishing department such as the Septieme Largeur Eugene (close channel), the Cobbler Union Richard (close channel AND quilted leather insole) and the Crownhill Bogart (JR soles).

Other standouts to me are J. Fitzpatrick (great company and beautiful finishing such as close channel etc.) and Yanko (Spanish maker between Meermin and Carmina, some have compared them favorably with Carmina).

And the worst looking shoe on the list? Most certainly the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue... this coming from an ardent AE supporter.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. Northants bloke

Northants bloke Well-Known Member

I would imagine Herring Churchill is made by Cheaney. I have several pairs of Cheaney on the 205 last.

7. manowar

manowar Senior member

Well, it looks like all of my recent updates to this post were rolled back after the update, and now I am unable to edit the post at all. And the pictures.... all gone. I am going to wait this one out and hope for a resolution!