• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think more fundamental question, does it fit? I assume you can at least try Ferragamo in person somewhere, might be harder to try CJ/AS (i.e. same price range) in person.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No experience with this pair but have a pair of black wholecut Ferragamos. While very sturdy shoes, the stitches on the welt are not very refined and the welt is very wide compared to my English made shoes.

Why don't you have a look at Alfred Sargent's Armfield? Channelled stitching with a very tight waist. Available at AFPOS with free lasted shoe trees and free delivery. Very good value especially with the cheap sterling pound:

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/c...-sargent-exclusive-armfield?variant=338290779

I think more fundamental question, does it fit? I assume you can at least try Ferragamo in person somewhere, might be harder to try CJ/AS (i.e. same price range) in person.

I was strongly considering the armfield before I saw these. I'm not sure exactly why, but something about the lines and shape of the last on this pair is attracting me to it.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 360 degrees welt is not a bad thing per se but it takes some of sleekness to the shoe; I own a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in burgundy and find that I am loving them more day after day. Somewhere I read that the 360 degrees welt gives more flexibility to the shoe since the uppers are stiched to the whole sole and this makes that the forces are distributed evenly; maybe an experienced SF member can elaborate a bit more. In my next trip to NYC I will buy a pair as a souvenir and will have to decide if I use them or my Church's Consul in a wedding.

Pictures not mine, last one from this thread :

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/...n-thread-reviews-pictures-sizing-etc/36000_20

Last edited:

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some opinions please:

_12064573.jpg

_12064593.jpg

_12064660.jpg

How do these compare in looks and quality to shoes in similar range (around 500-600 USD)? Also, does the 360 welt take away a lot?
Those extra lines are unnecessary and also take away from the minimalistic look of a cap-toe Oxford. I'm also not a big fan of the 6 eyelets and the 360 welt. You can do better with shoes costing about half the price TBH.

Baytwenty3

Reaction score
Not sure if you still check this thread Wurga, but a couple of years ago I saw this thread and it influenced my decision on which shoes to buy to start my shoe collection.

This is my current collection:

My two toe cap Oxford pairs are Church's Consul (black) and C&J Connaught (dark brown). Easily my two favourite pairs to wear, although the Double Monks Lowndes (C&J) are right up there.

I'm in Sydney also, and only the topies only recently, and at Shoeworx in Chifley Tower as my search revealed several people preferred their workmanship over Coomb's in Strand Arcade.

So how long do the topies last? Can't imagine they'd last too long given how thin the piece of leather is. But seeing my quickly I wore out the soles near the toes over 2 years made me get the topies on all my new pairs as well as the older pairs.

Cheers.

Baytwenty3

Reaction score
Thanks Wurga. I'm not sure my topies would last that long. I have 6 pairs in rotation and would be happy if I got 2 years out of each topied pair. Cheers.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm a 7UK in Carmina Rain last, should I get 7UK in AS 109?
And what's the reason the Herring Charles II is cheaper than the AS Armfield?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads