• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The quarter brogue/perf cap role?

dsk321

Reaction score
1603500710990.png

As I'm rebuilding my shoes, I am still searching for 1 black captoe for the extremely rare formal occasions. As I don't conduct business in suits, and my regular dress involves t-shirts and jeans, its really only for weddings/funerals/if a royal family suddenly calls.

Where exactly does a perf cap work? Can it do all the duties of a standard captoe? The above carminas are in the robert last which works very well for my foot, but black quarter and semi broguing just looks odd to me. Like they're hedging some imaginary bet.

Or should I not drop over $400 for something I can't outfit regularly and pick up some meermins or other entry grade black captoes and call it a day?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would classify them as being on the same level of formality.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wear mine in a business casual setting. Some are very elegant looking and I don't see why you couldn't wear with a suit.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I really like this style of shoe as I find a full or half brogue a bit too country for events/places I would generally wear a cap toe for. But the brougeing knocks the formality down a pitch so they don't feel too dressy for a smart-casual setting. I have a pair in black and a pair in brown and find them very versatile.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black oxfords in quarter brogue or perf cap function the same in terms of formality. However, I think oxfords only go with suits. About eight years ago, I bought a pair of black John Lobb oxfords and rarely wear them, as I rarely wear formal suits. If you don't wear suits often, I don't recommend spending too much on a pair

Last edited:

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Black perf cap and plain cap oxfords function the same in terms of formality. If you want to finely dice it, I think a plain cap looks better at night, as it feels slightly more elegant. Both styles can be worn during the day.

I think oxfords only go with suits. As a black shoe, likely dark worsted suits. Oxfords look wrong to me in any context outside of a suit.

I bought a pair of John Lobb black cap toe oxford about eight years ago. I rarely wear them. If you rarely wear suits, I wouldn't spend too much money on a pair.
I love shoes too much to not wear my oxfords in business casual. Is it outside traditional norms? Yeah probably, but if I chose not to then I'd rarely wear my favorite shoes these days.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black oxfords in quarter brogue or perf cap function the same in terms of formality. However, I think oxfords only go with suits. About eight years ago, I bought a pair of black John Lobb oxfords and rarely wear them, as I rarely wear formal suits. If you don't wear suits often, I don't recommend spending too much on a pair

you don’t think color, material and brogueing has any influence on this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads