• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The pursuit of looking like a Marvel Villain - Tony Leung style

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Hi all. Long-time lurker here. I was hoping to finally post about this outfit idea I've been floating in my head for the longest time.

I've been both a comics nerd and fan of Tony Leung ever since I was a kid. Seeing Tony Leung play Xu Wenwu in Shang Chi: Legend of the Ten Rings really did something for me. Specifically, this moment (pictured below) when Tony Leung rocks that "Hong Kong gangster" look gave me chills. Style wise, I especially love how his double-breasted suit plays with light—silver in some lighting, olive in other.

I've never had a big occasion to order a custom suit, though I've thought about MTM a lot lately. Off the rack, I fit well enough in SuitSupply's Havana (their 40R), though my chest-waist drop is a little too much even for that cut (I have a disproportionately large chest from weightlifting). Do you guys think Kent Wang could make an olive-double breasted suit like this one pictured? I probably won't roll up my sleeves like Tony Leung often—if only, ever for Halloween or some cosplay occasion. I guess in that case, I'd want to go for surgeon's cuffs.

Anyway, is there anything else I should know before ordering a custom suit? Like how maybe the 4x2 button combination isn't ideal (I think it looks great, but maybe I'm not considering something). This will be a big purchase for me, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't making an in-the-moment decision. However, I have given it quite a lot of deliberation during the past few weeks before even posting here. Hoping I can get some any final insights.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Capture 002 - Disney+ - Video Player - www.disneyplus.com.jpg
    Screen Capture 002 - Disney+ - Video Player - www.disneyplus.com.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Screen Capture 004 - Disney+ - Video Player - www.disneyplus.com.jpg
    Screen Capture 004 - Disney+ - Video Player - www.disneyplus.com.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Capture 005 - Disney+ - Video Player - www.disneyplus.com.jpg
    Screen Capture 005 - Disney+ - Video Player - www.disneyplus.com.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Do it!

You'd want surgeon's cuffs on an MTM suit anyway, the only reason to go for non-functioning buttons is to make tailoring easier.

Yes, Kent Wang could do this. Suitsupply probably could too. In NYC, there's at least a dozen places that could help you. But Kent Wang has a very good fabric selection, so go ahead, start there.

There's nothing wrong with a 4x2, go for it. Let them know that you'd like to be able to roll the sleeves up that far comfortably, although you wouldn't do it often. If your chest size fluctuates due to your weightlifting, let them know about that too.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Do it!

You'd want surgeon's cuffs on an MTM suit anyway, the only reason to go for non-functioning buttons is to make tailoring easier.

Yes, Kent Wang could do this. Suitsupply probably could too. In NYC, there's at least a dozen places that could help you. But Kent Wang has a very good fabric selection, so go ahead, start there.

There's nothing wrong with a 4x2, go for it. Let them know that you'd like to be able to roll the sleeves up that far comfortably, although you wouldn't do it often. If your chest size fluctuates due to your weightlifting, let them know about that too.

Thanks! Appreciate the reassurance. I hope to update this thread at some point to show the look.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
I noticed that, if I color correct further, I end up with a "taupe" color. So it appears we're going with something taupe-ish. It seems like any "taupe" will be close enough. Now, it's a matter of which one I think.

Was hoping to get some feedback on which taupe looks best (here were some proposed fabrics). Also including a photo of my most color-corrected skin tone. Which do you guys like? #1 seems most accurate, but I think the cool/green undertones don't match as well with my skin tone? I'm new to fabric picking though, so I'll leave it to your guys' judgement.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Capture 006 - Disney+ - Video Player - www.disneyplus.com.jpg
    Screen Capture 006 - Disney+ - Video Player - www.disneyplus.com.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 343
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 12.25.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 12.25.30 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 387

Verve

Reaction score
1 & 3. Personally, I like darker tones, but all of these shades seem medium, and it looks nice. If it’s a big purchase, what will be the primary function for this suit? Casual outings or business? Do you have other suits? I ask this last question because olive wouldn’t be my 1st color choice for a big purchase suit.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
1 & 3. Personally, I like darker tones, but all of these shades seem medium, and it looks nice. If it’s a big purchase, what will be the primary function for this suit? Casual outings or business? Do you have other suits? I ask this last question because olive wouldn’t be my 1st color choice for a big purchase suit.

Thanks for chiming in. I was really considering your point about color choice too. Currently, I have a navy two-piece suit that fits me well enough. I use it on a lot of occasions since it makes a decent odd jacket too. There's also the too-tight fitting black suit that I grew out of, which I likely won't return to (growth in learning that black is not versatile enough and also physically growing out of it). However, I've been wanting to get a really good charcoal suit, maybe from Kent Wang.

For this double-breasted, I'd like to use it for both casual/formal outings. I'm not in business or any line of work that requires too much formality. I'd actually just use it for formal events, which pop up every few months or so. Maybe a wedding here or there, which I've used the navy for. Another reason I'd like to try this piece is for fan-related events—hence the "Marvel villain" request. I see so many awesome costumes at places like comic-con, but at the end of the day, those are cartoon character costumes. I think wearing this to a related event would be such an instantly recognizable yet super fashionable look. Would definitely make some Spider-Man's bat a second eye, haha. In general, this color/style style is one I've wanted for quite awhile (since the moment I watched this in theaters). Logically, I should probably get a solid charcoal or grey before this. There's that emotional component to it though. There also might be an appeal to it because apparently, I "look good" in olive according to some of my colleagues (they complimented me for this dark olive sweater of mine, and it's a good memory). So yeah, a lot of emotional vs. logical purchase here.

In any case, I appreciate your thoughts. I'll think about this again.

Last edited:

Verve

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in. I was really considering your point about color choice too. Currently, I have a navy two-piece suit that fits me well enough. I use it on a lot of occasions since it makes a decent odd jacket too. There's also the too-tight fitting black suit that I grew out of, which I likely won't return to (growth in learning that black is not versatile enough and also physically growing out of it). However, I've been wanting to get a really good charcoal suit, maybe from Kent Wang.

For this double-breasted, I'd like to use it for both casual/formal outings. I'm not in business or any line of work that requires too much formality. I'd actually just use it for formal events, which pop up every few months or so. Maybe a wedding here or there, which I've used the navy for. Another reason I'd like to try this piece is for fan-related events—hence the "Marvel villain" request. I see so many awesome costumes at places like comic-con, but at the end of the day, those are cartoon character costumes. I think wearing this to a related event would be such an instantly recognizable yet super fashionable look. Would definitely make some Spider-Man's bat a second eye, haha. In general, this color/style style is one I've wanted for quite awhile (since the moment I watched this in theaters). Logically, I should probably get a solid charcoal or grey before this. There's that emotional component to it though. There also might be an appeal to it because apparently, I "look good" in olive according to some of my colleagues (they complimented me for this dark olive sweater of mine, and it's a good memory). So yeah, a lot of emotional vs. logical purchase here.

In any case, I appreciate your thoughts. I'll think about this again.
Since you won’t be wearing it on a weekly basis, dark olive is fine.

Speaking of theaters, the last 2 times I’ve attended our local theaters, the manager was wearing the same burgundy suit. It’s a nice looking suit, but I don’t think it would have stood out as much in my mind if he was wearing a navy, charcoal, or grey one. This is why I asked the questions I asked you. I love brown suits also, but I’m aware my brown shade suits stand out a little more, and I frequently get more compliments on this shade than the conservative shades aforementioned. Thus, I usually reserve brown suits for long time clients vs newer clients.

Good luck with the Olive Kent Wang suit & hope it turns out the way you envisioned it!

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Since you won’t be wearing it on a weekly basis, dark olive is fine.

Speaking of theaters, the last 2 times I’ve attended our local theaters, the manager was wearing the same burgundy suit. It’s a nice looking suit, but I don’t think it would have stood out as much in my mind if he was wearing a navy, charcoal, or grey one. This is why I asked the questions I asked you. I love brown suits also, but I’m aware my brown shade suits stand out a little more, and I frequently get more compliments on this shade than the conservative shades aforementioned. Thus, I usually reserve brown suits for long time clients vs newer clients.

Good luck with the Olive Kent Wang suit & hope it turns out the way you envisioned it!

Really great insights! I hadn't thought of it that way. In that case, perhaps I'll go with the olive and eventually work my way to the charcoal. It would definitely be a "stand out" piece not for everyday use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads