• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the profoundly unofficial I Sarti Italiani thread

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talked to Salvo today and asked a few questions to clarify how canvassing is attached.

Salvo reminded me that for my initial jackets (already 8 years ago!) I asked for spalla camicia, his default fit (lean & clean), and the lightest construction possible, which at the time was half-canvas and fusible. Ever since then I’ve been making fit/construction tweaks. The first thing he did was source the lightest weight horsehair canvas (only putting another two or three different layers on the chest for shaping), fuller sleeve heads, and manica mappina. From that time on all jackets for myself and US clients have hand-basted full canvassing.

A year ago (or two? I forget) I asked Salvo what the difference is between hand padded and machine padded lapels. He said he preferred machine padded since they roll more three-dimensional and full. However this can tend to pull the chest open, resulting in more of a U than a V-shape. This is mitigated with increasing fabric in the chest and adding an extra piece of hair cloth on the bias so the overall effect is teh drape.

Ever since then I’ve told him that machine-padded lapels are fine for my jackets, but the canvas continues to be basted by hand and the collar is hand-padded for myself and all other US clients. He did say that since it’s less labor to use a machine he may make the lapel a option to pay for or decline (like hand-made buttonholes).

Salvo remembers @dieworkwear asking similar questions so I asked him if that meant he specified one or the other, and he said he honestly didn’t know, so Derek, your last suit may or may not have hand-rolled lapels buuuut just to clarify everyone’s jackets are hand-basted full canvas with hand-padded lapels and collar, unless they ask otherwise.

They sold their pick-stitching machine a short while ago so he says starting next visit he may upcharge for that since all pick stitching will be by hand going forward. Looking at my jackets, some seem to have less uniform pick stitching than others, but I don’t notice unless I’m really looking.

…and I think that’s it!

Last edited:

classybison

Reaction score
Any idea when he'll be back in NYC? Missed the boat on this last visit.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any idea when he'll be back in NYC? Missed the boat on this last visit.

I believe October, but don't think specific dates have been set yet. When I left the San Francisco trunk show, Salvo said something like "see you in October."

emptym

Reaction score
Sure, @classicalthunde, it was #9366, Dark Olive, here. When I email them, I hear back from Mark, who's super helpful.

emptym

Reaction score
Both look great. Is the top jacket newer? Looks like the shoulders are a bit more extended, the gorge lowers, the lapels have some belly, and the patch pockets taper at the top. Also, the top jacket's front buttons are spaced more closely than than bottom ones. I noticed that my corduroy jacket's front buttons are pretty close too.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both look great. Is the top jacket newer? Looks like the shoulders are a bit more extended, the gorge lowers, the lapels have some belly, and the patch pockets taper at the top. Also, the top jacket's front buttons are spaced more closely than than bottom ones. I noticed that my corduroy jacket's front buttons are pretty close too.
Weird. The text in my post got eaten. The trousers are both I Sarti. The jackets are Steed (top) and Solito (bottom). Sorry for the confusion!

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what fabric/books did you use for the I Sarti trousers? They look great!
Thanks! The bottom ones are Drapers 4-ply. It was 4243, but the book might have been re-numbered. I think 85% of the Bay Area clients ordered a pair in that color. 😂

The grey ones are a wool-silk cav twill that I picked up from @edmorel. Mystery mill. Very breezy but a decent drape. (They need pressing, though!)

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@UrbanComposition any update on some of the commissions - Salvo said he might be able to ship some early so we can wear a bit before he comes back ?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pic dump. I realize I should've taken more, but...

I took closeups of some of @emptym 's jackets so you can see the chest canvas is extended into the sleeve to produce the "manica mappina." @taxgenius mentioned this is something that the Armoury does for their Model 3.

I forget what all the fabrics are, but I think there are some Fox and Drapers Ascot 6-ply in there...extremely jealous of the polo coat.

View attachment 1760723 View attachment 1760724 View attachment 1760725 View attachment 1760726 View attachment 1760727 View attachment 1760728 View attachment 1760729 View attachment 1760730 View attachment 1760731 View attachment 1760732 View attachment 1760733 View attachment 1760734 View attachment 1760735 View attachment 1760736 View attachment 1760737 View attachment 1760738

The single breasted chalk stripe is sublime.
I wish I had the time, patience, and excuse
to get a suit like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads