• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The prada suit so many of you hate

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've actually seen, and sort of like, the suit, although I wouldn't buy it myself. You might want to try some tan boots with a more pointed toe with that suit though. It's not going to be mistaken for a conservative suit, so you may as well go all out. Since you have a fairly round face, you might also consider getting slightly heavier, more angular eyeglasses, to get a little more of the Wes Anderson effect you seem to be looking for. Skip the t-shirt/sweater. It's not a look a lot of guys can pull off, and it's rather too easy to look rather asymmetrical at the neck. personally think that a cream shirt with either a knit tie or no tie would also look better than the combinations you have in the pictures. The navy/midnight blue is a rather cold color, albeit impressive, and could use some warmth,as could your pale skin tone. Cream shirt with blue stripe, perhaps. I agree with the skinny tie though. A thicker tie would definitely not work.

Lastly, you would benefit greatly from improving your posture. It looks like you're 5'9 or 5'10 in the pictures, not particularly athletic, and with fairly weak shoulders. Straightening your back will add a couple of inches, and make you look more imposing.

Joe G

Reaction score
That's not quite the one I called a monstrosity. The one I was referring to was almost completely inside out. Then again, maybe my 19th suit will be completely whacked out, too...
smile.gif
Peace, JG

Renwick

Reaction score
That's not quite the one I called a monstrosity. The one I was referring to was almost completely inside out. Then again, maybe my 19th suit will be completely whacked out, too...
smile.gif
Peace, JG
Hmmm didn't see that suit. I definitely wouldn't have gone for something THAT inside out. But yeah, when you own 19 suits of various different types I think you need at least one weird one. I actually have two weird ones, the other is a 4 button Versace with a weird stripe of contrasting material running across the jacket. I wear suits EVERY day so it's one of those things I have a lot of. I actually laughed when that Kilgores thing got posted and I thought- yeah I probably won't need anymore suits when I get 24 of them.

Renwick

Reaction score
Skip the t-shirt/sweater.  It's not a look a lot of guys can pull off, and it's rather too easy to look rather asymmetrical at the neck. personally think that a cream shirt with either a knit tie or no tie would also look better than the combinations you have in the pictures.  The navy/midnight blue is a rather cold color, albeit impressive, and could use some warmth,as could your pale skin tone.  Cream shirt with blue stripe, perhaps.  I agree with the skinny tie though.  A thicker tie would definitely not work.  

Lastly, you would benefit greatly from improving your posture.  It looks like you're 5'9 or 5'10 in the pictures, not particularly athletic, and with fairly weak shoulders.  Straightening your back will add a couple of inches, and make you look more imposing.
I was actually so excited to finally get it that I didn't take off the sweater which I was wearing for work. I really wouldn't wear a sweater with that normally. I just wanted to try it on. The other one I decided to try the thin tie look with it ( as was suggested before). Unfortunately I don't have any cream shirts, just white ones but yeah I agree a cream one would look better. I haven't seen a cream shirt with blue stripes around here- if you see one online (at bluefly or something) lemme know.

Oh, with the posture thing, yes I agree with you although it is hard for me because two of my vertebrae are fused together making holding my back straight pretty painful without a back brace which is annoying to wear.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You asked, you get. Plus, I'm trying to write my thesis, and get distracted easily. I can't figure out what is wrong with my browser, but apparently, you can't link onto a specific item in YOOX anyway. You'll have to go by the product number. I looked for my size (40-41, or 16"), which I think you are close to (40 R jacket, right?) There didn't seem to be any suitable cream colored shirts on either Bluefly or Yoox, but here are some alternatives I'm sure will look quite passable. Pink generally matches well good with navy, so long as the pink is not of the hot variety. I'm not actually much of a Dolce & Gabbana fan, but one's got to give credit where it's due, and their use of color is generally terrific. The fabrics in Dolce Gabbana shirts are usually rich and often have a near satin finish. Not really for the office, but would look awesome for a night on the town, especially under soft light in a lux restaurant. Dolce Gabbana cuts pretty generously relative to others in the Italian designer flock http://www.yoox.com/us....eaid=36 http://www.yoox.com/us....eaid=36 Prada Well, you can't say the shirt won't match, can you. I like rep, slightly retro pattern (don't worry, the geek-chic retro thing is just getting started. Check out Marc Jacobs summer 2003) More of a hipster thing. You can also wear the shirt with jeans. http://www.yoox.com/us....eaid=36 Less well known than Dolce or Prada, Romeo Gigli's off kilter use of colors and fabrics, makes his stuff more fun to wear, though somewhat less versatile and generally accessible. I mean, how many times can a guy wear a lime green/mustard shirt before he becomes known as the lime green shirt guy. The shirt here is a basic style, and will be cut pretty well, if my experience can be a judge. It also comes closest to what you are looking for. Romeo Gigli, comes in "Ivory": http://www.yoox.com/us....eaid=36 There were also a few nice Zegna shirts on Bluefly, but I think that the style of Zegna is somewhat incompatible with Prada.

Renwick

Reaction score
Hmmm sorry to be a pain but it's hard to tell which items you are refering to due to the weird setup on the Yoox site. I see some of the Romeo Gigli shirts listed for white and yellow but not Ivory. What are the prices of the ones you mentioned ( I think the only way I'm gonna be able to find it is by looking at the price cause that's the only thing different in many of the item descriptions). Good luck on your thesis BTW.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renwick,

Try looking for at the product number in the webaddress. For example, the Gigli shirt is distinguished by the number: 380124, which appears in the web address when to wave your mouse over the link.

Good luck.

Joe G

Reaction score
I wear suits EVERY day so it's one of those things I have a lot of. I actually laughed when that Kilgores thing got posted and I thought- yeah I probably won't need anymore suits when I get 24 of them.
I don't actually wear suits that much. I do like to wear jackets, and own a bunch of sportcoats, but not too many suits. Indeed, until last summer, I only had one. (It was a nice one, though, a midnite-blue Zegna Napoli in 15milmil15.) Since then, I've bought a few and had two made for me. Still, the closest I get to a "wild" suit is a lavender-pinstriped navy high-two button Brioni.

If you find yourself wanting another suit in the near future, check out Hermes. They have some fabulous ones, albeit at unfriendly prices.

Peace,

JG

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know what that's actually not too bad. When I read inside out suits I imagined all the lining on the outside. Since it's just the cuffs and pockets it's actually kinda neat. Obviously not for business use but it could be interesting to wear out, for this year anyway ;p

pstoller

Reaction score
When I read inside out suits I imagined all the lining on the outside.
They have one like that, too, as well as an inside-out overcoat. I'm guessing more of these will end up in outlets than fly off the racks at full, or even sale, prices.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still, the closest I get to a "wild" suit is a lavender-pinstriped navy high-two button Brioni.

I saw a terrific three button Paul Smith suit in the same colors. I really liked it, and it was on sale too, but seeing that I wear a suit maybe two or three times a year, that would have come to 200-300$US per wear over several years. Seemed a little extravagant. Great colors though. I can think of about 10 good shirt and tie combinations off the top of my head, and a few more "casual" knitwear options, that would look killer.

Joe G

Reaction score
You know what that's actually not too bad. When I read inside out suits I imagined all the lining on the outside.
Yeah, those are the ones I really disliked. I think pstoller's quite right about where they're going to end up.

Peace,

JG

Joe G

Reaction score
Great colors though. Â I can think of about 10 good shirt and tie combinations off the top of my head, and a few more "casual" knitwear options, that would look killer.
I'd like to read a couple of 'em next time you need a thesis break. (I was there last summer, so I know the need will come on soon
smile.gif
) But chances are, I've either got something similar to what you'll recommend, or might just need to go looking... Peace, JG

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I read inside out suits I imagined all the lining on the outside.
They have one like that, too, as well as an inside-out overcoat. I'm guessing more of these will end up in outlets than fly off the racks at full, or even sale, prices.
I just walked by the Prada store in SoHo, and would you believe they had that same inside out coat in the window on display. Whoever described it as hideous is 100% correct. I can't imagine anyone with taste dropping the kind of money they're asking for it. I definalty see that coat ending up in Marshall's or TJ Maxx.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads