1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Power of Negative Thinking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rambo, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

!!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...78147333270637790.html?mod=WSJ_MostPopular_US

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So what you're telling us is that you're the happiest guy in the forum? :confused:

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

ThAt would be an interesting contest. Would SSRIs be considered PEDs?

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I need this science so bad.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

A few thoughts. First, I went through a year as detailed in the first paragraph: lived on ramen noodles, had a telephone, bed, etc. It was fine and really set a baseline for redefining needs - however, one of the underlying thoughts was that things would change soon when I was ready to have them change. I think there's a psychological difference between being able to choose to live under lean circumstances, and having no other choice - but I could be wrong.

2. I rode the underground when I was in London, and it was such a treat. I would kill to have something like that in Houston.

c) Paragraph 3. Agree there. Sometimes you have to get past the reflexive reactions and ask yourself precisely what's so bad about the worst case. I vaguely recall something about Cicero before his exile, making himself more miserable than anyone thought warranted (but this is fuzzy and comes from one source)

6. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Sun Tzu says to use this as strategy of war in The Art of War. Think of every possible outcome and weigh your possible loses against your potential gain.
    Great philosophy.