• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Power of Dollar Parity! (Canada)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

With the dollar hitting 1.05 (maybe even 1.10), are there any plans to go to the States for clothes? I'm think of trying the RLPL MTM program. Any other ideas?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nah...since i live in the states.

Trit

Reaction score
It is definitely more fun this way. All my life I've expected any US price to have a "tax" of %15-%20, probably the same way, in reverse, that US shoppers felt shopping in Canada. I'm definitely willing to buy more from the US with the dollar at parity, but that's probably a no-brainer.

Bean Counter

Reaction score
Its a no brainer. At least until retailers stop the pricing gap between US and Canada which will never happen. Just like with cars...

I'm lucky enough to live in a border city, get all my stuff shipped to the US town, and pick it up and bring it over tax free. Or, if I'm feeling honest, claim it and pay the Canadian sales tax (if they decide to pull me in which is not often). This always works out cheaper, even when its an 80-90 cent dollar.

LukeM

Reaction score
Already ordered a bunch of stuff from Brooks Brothers
biggrin.gif

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
I love seeing the price of things I'm buying over the border go DOWN when the conversion hits Paypal.

The last few weeks have been kind to me.

Sentinel

Reaction score
It really is nice to see the cheaper Canadian price. I've been on a bit of a buying spree myself lately, but it's just been online shopping rather than actually going down in person. Even with shipping and the random applications of border fees it's a great time to import.

DrPsycho

Reaction score
I've been on an online spree of late. Fuelled both by my renewed interest in my wardrobe (thanks, SFers) and that I've slimmed down enough that my older stuff simply looks goofy. Good timing, economy!

For those Canadians who are looking at getting things shipped to a US border-town as described, I've had really good results with Kinek.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be a good idea to do a Paul Stuart or RLPL mtm if the dollar hits 1.10. It's basically another 10% off! (maybe more if they're having a trunk show).

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
wait a little longer, its going to get even better for you guys.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
other than brooks brothers, any suggestions for good online stores?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads