• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Polo Suit Thread

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back with the newly released models I have experience with:

OP:

There are many threads where questions are posed regarding Polo Ralph Lauren Suits and the differences between the cuts. This is in hopes that we can have 1 thread dedicated to all questions Polo suit related.I know about <a href="http&#58;//www.styleforum.net/showpost.php?p=883889&amp;postcount=15" target="_blank">this</a> post, but from experience I know it not to be 100% accurate/definite, see below&#58;

<b>Polo I - single vent, 2 button (full, traditional cut) -</b>
I have a Polo I that is 2B, but slim, double vented.

<b>Polo II - double vent, 3 button (traditional cut, but 3 button and side vents can make it look slimmer than Polo I) - </b>
I have 3 Polo II suits, all double vented, 3B and slim, but 1 has a ticket pocket &amp; pants with side adjusters, 1 has flat front pants and 1 has double forward pleated pants.

<b>Polo III - double vent, 2 button, ticket pocket - </b>No experience here (unless these are the ones that say BLUE LABEL (see below)

<b>Polo IV - double vent, 3 button, ticket pocket (slightly higher arm holes, so feels trimmer about the chest) -</b>
No experience here (unless these are the ones that say BLUE LABEL (see below)

<b>BLUE LABEL - </b>
I have 2 suits that are marked Blue Label in lieu of Polo I-IV, one is 3B, side vented, slim with pleated trousers. The other is 3B, side vented, ticket pocket, side adjusters on trousers (no belt loops)

<b>Garrison - </b>
I have a Garrison model that is 2B, side vented, WIDE lapels, pants have side adjusters and no loops. I've seen Garrison models with belt loops. Very trim fit with more padding in the shoulders than I & II models.

<b>Bradford -</b>
I have a Bradford model that is 3B, side vented, slim lapels, pants have loops and double forward pleats. I've also owned a Bradford model that was 2B, side vented, flat front with loops. Very trim fit with more padding in the shoulders than I & II models.

Desmond
The Desmond model I have is 2B, side vented, heavy flannel cloth (95/5 wool/cash) high armholes, slim sleeves. Trousers are flat fronted with side adjusters and they came with belt loops in the bag. My coat has a throat latch but Ive seen models without it.

Garrison-Desmond
I've seen these for sale on eBay but I have no experience with them, tho it seems it just means a merge of the two models with WIDE lapels, high armholes and a nipped waist. All of the models I;ve seen are side vented.

Discontinued modes (copied from above link);

Bleeker - usually 3 button, single vent; slimmer fitting (in both chest and arms), shorter in length for similar sized coats; suits with flat front pants, slim fitting and tapered.
Congressman - similar to bleeker, though not sure whether pants are as slim fitting; seems to be sold at dept stores (like Macy's suit dept) rather than Polo stores.

What's your experience/input? Thanks

Last edited:

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice thread bastage.
1159[1].gif

Regards.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are the new Garrisons much slimmer then normal? Some of the ones I've seen on B&amp;S have really small measurements but I'm not sure if it's just the seller not taking them correctly.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
Are the new Garrisons much slimmer then normal? Some of the ones I've seen on B&S have really small measurements but I'm not sure if it's just the seller not taking them correctly.

With the one I have, the pants are slimmer, flat fronted and the coat too. The skirt flares out a bit more than the others, but that could just be a result of the fat I have being squeezed up by the pants. The coat sleeves are slim, too. Much like the IIs & Blue Labels.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Polo III. It was done via mtm program and it doesn't say "blue label" just the classic Ralph Lauren Polo.

My two button peak lapel mtm suit doesn't have a model name but says "blue label"

If you stop by any RL flagship store check out their mtm book. There's some pretty interesting stuff in it, Norfolk jackets, etc.

Also, not sure if its been discontinued but the "Fairfax" is the 3-button peak lapel model.
RLPolofairfax.jpg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Have to look into this, "Fairfax". Thanks
The uglier, RLPL, double-breasted linen version can be had at Marshall's currently:
attachmentzx.jpg

okwwq7802

Reaction score
To add the OP's summary, those labeled as BLUE LABEL tend to have model numbers that correlate somewhat with the Polo I-IV designation.

&quot;7B1282 BLUE LABEL&quot; = Polo I
&quot;7B9092 BLUE LABEL&quot; = Polo II

I've always assumed the Blue Label precedes the Polo I-IV designation.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the Bradford suit I ordered came yesterday and here are some points I noted regarding fit:

Cut much trimmer than the I & II models.
Higher armholes (you can feel the seam in your pits)
Fit is very similar to the Garrison model.
More shoulder padding than the I & II.

The only thing I would change about these Polo suits is the way the sleeve hole is cut (or the shape of the hole). If they would just slant it back starting from the front of the shoulder, I think the lapels wouldn't gape when raising your arms with the jacket buttoned. Otherwise, they're solid suits that can be had at a fraction of retail.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
So the Bradford suit I ordered came yesterday and here are some points I noted regarding fit:

Cut much trimmer than the I & II models.
Higher armholes (you can feel the seam in your pits)
Fit is very similar to the Garrison model.
More shoulder padding than the I & II.

The only thing I would change about these Polo suits is the way the sleeve hole is cut (or the shape of the hole). If they would just slant it back starting from the front of the shoulder, I think the lapels wouldn't gape when raising your arms with the jacket buttoned. Otherwise, they're solid suits that can be had at a fraction of retail.

where ?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest checking the Buying &amp; Selling forum here (I've purchased 3 so far via B&amp;S) or eBay (the balance of my suit purchases).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads