• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The polo shirt - dead or alive?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now look back in horror on that ubiquitous look from the eighties and nineties - polo shirt, voluminous pleated chinos and boat shoes.
The pleated chinos and boat shoes went long ago for me and in the past two to three summers I've not worn polos either, preferring button down shirts or an open spread collar with sleeves rolled to the elbow when hot.
Chinos are now slim and flat front while boat shoes are replaced by casual loafers (mainly suede) or unpatterned sneakers.
Do you think there is life yet in the polo?

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The polo never left. It slimmed down, as did the chino, but polos and boat shoes are still very much present. In fact, the very look you talk about is experiencing a significant revival with the SW&D crowd.

Eccentric

Reaction score
The only time in memory when I wore a polo was around Vegas this summer, otherwise it is an ocbd.

repressedm

Reaction score
talk again when it's summer
smile.gif

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Never count the Polo shirt out. I think the little polo guy on the front isn't as popular these days. Definately not pleated dockers and boat shoes.

I remember the layered polo style with both collars up. I don't think we'll see that fashion trend roll back around for a while.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dead to make room for the ribbed dress t-shirt.

Motol12

Reaction score
In my eyes, the polo shirt never died, or even got wounded.

A polo shirt tucked into kahkis with loafers is my normal causual look. Obviously the shirt isn't toucked into the double reverse pleated Dockers, and it probably isn't the Ralph Lauren polo with the gigantic pony, but it's still a polo shirt nonetheless.

R-H

Reaction score
I've been wearing Polo shirts since I was a kid. I had no idea they were ever 'in'.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
...polo shirt, voluminous pleated chinos and boat shoes...
... makes me the best dressed gent in Lawndale, CA...

swiego

Reaction score
To me, this is like saying the buttoned down dress shirt is dead, the denim jeans are dead, the navy blazer is dead, the black captoe oxford is dead, the tuxedo is dead or use of a belt is dead. Polos are something I fully expect to be around decades from now, along with all these other things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads