• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Plastic Chair

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I plan on getting 6 Emeco Hudson chairs for the newly acquired dining room table, I don't have the muneez. That being said, I'm thinking it'd be an opportune time to use chairs that will ultimately be re-purposed as outdoor chairs as dining room seating for the time being. I've decided to go with a full mix-match route as some of the plastic chairs I'm most fond of are Starck designed and not only do I not want all of our dining seating to be by Mr. Phillippe (and as an extension, a little ubiquitous), I like other chairs too and think I could make the mix-match work outside. What plastic chairs do you like, if any? Baseline (only a couple of these are certain picks): 1 x Louis Ghost (of course.)
Louis_Ghost_Philippe_Starck_30k.jpg
1 x Mr. Impossible
Philippe_Starck_Mr._Impossible_Chair_xv7.jpg
1 x De Ville
deauville_m.jpg
1 x Chair One (maybe.)
11332.9118EB68.jpg
1 x Frilly
frilly.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 4x Louis Ghost chairs, 3 with pads made for them (see this post for the colors, which are a bit orangey), and they look great, and are fairly comfortable.

Have you thought about fiberglass shell chairs from Modernica? I think they're more comfy, about as cheap, but aren't as current-looking as the Ghost chairs.

I love the Mr. Impossible in concept, but I've never sat in one. Meh about the rest.

--Andre

summej2

Reaction score
I like the chair one I have; it's great outside and more comfortable than I imagined based on its looks. I wouldn't want to sit on it over the course of a long dinner, however.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that the Starck and other clear acrylic chairs can be used outdoors? I realize that a lot of plastic and fiberglass chairs are fine outside, but it seems to me that these would be likely to develop cracks or crazing after being exposed to the elements.

P.S. I like the Grcic design the best out of the ones above but wouldn't want to sit in it for a long period.

constantine.

Reaction score
chair one is the best of the lot here, but none of these chairs should be more than "occasional" chairs, i think.

Hany

Reaction score
My home office chair is a Louis Ghost and it is extremely comfortable IMO. I don't even find the need for a pad as the chair follows the shape of the body removing risks of "stress zones". There's also a famous restaurant in Paris where all the chairs are Louis and Victoria Ghosts. It is IMO a great design both functional and beautiful.
But here's the deal: I'm pretty sure you can't keep it outdoor.

For that the One is perfect. Surprisingly comfortable too. Get it with the concrete base for the complete look.
863_photo_1_170059.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Louis Ghost is pretty comfortable as it is, but I got pads to keep the seat from being scratched up by things like rivets in jeans.

--Andre

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I get a cat, I'll buy a Ghost Chair for the sole purpose of taking shots of Hover Catz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads