Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The plaid flannel shirt--a fashion crime?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLibourel, Oct 24, 2004.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

For most of my relatively long life, the plaid flannel shirt has been a cool-weather sportswear classic. Lately, I have heard they are emphatically "out," including jokes in several quarters that they are mainly worn by Lesbians nowadays. I know that for several years my teenage stepson has cringed when I have appeared in his company wearing what I thought were nice plaid flannel shirts. I thought this was just his hangup, but maybe the lad is more "cutting edge" than I had given him credit for being. Anyway, any thoughts from forum members?

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

No way- saw a couple incredibly soft and colorful ETROs, same color scheme- olive, blue and fuchsia, slightly different style at Button Down in SF and Khaki's in Carmel. If I wasn't in Texas where I doubt I'd get much wear out of them, I'd have bought one. Plus ETRO just doesn't make stuff big enough to fit me except for XXL bathing suits. [​IMG]

3. Tom

Tom Senior member

Personally, I think that flannel plaids are great, if you are raking the lawn. Other than that, nah.

-Tom

4. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

funny, I was at Holt, and some guys were trying on D&G funnel materialed big plaid pattern shirt .. I could not help to think that they looked like lumberjack.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I think they can look cool if contrasted with brights and other patterns through coats and scarves and the like, but I would never just wear one on its own with a pair of jeans.

6. shqiptar

shqiptar Well-Known Member

The cheap patterned flannel shirts are great for doing some work on week-end, cleaning the garden, the roof, etc. In rural areas it's a common casual item, but in big cities I don't think I would wear it.

The expensive designer plaid flannel shirts are a waste of money. That's my opinion.

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

I really really doubt that the actual retail price of that shirt is $1200. It's made in China. Possibly, could someone have switched the tags on the shirt?