• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 2

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 2

What shall we ever do?

I hate everyone and everything when I wake up five and a half hours later. I loathe the idea of putting on shoes. I shower, and try to go back to sleep - impossible. Instead I get up and have breakfast, which is also impossible. I can’t believe that I have to go back to Pitti today. It seems absurd. Isn’t it over? Haven’t we done everything we came here to do? Can’t we ******* leave yet? I will need to nap at some point. Probably soon. Potentially within the hour. I already feel disgusting and sweaty but I worry about what housekeeping will think if I spend the whole day in the hotel with the “do not disturb” sign hanging from the door knob. Fok would probably not find that useful - and neither, for that matter, would I.

I give up halfway through my croissant. My grapefruit juice tastes like battery acid. My eyes look like eyes that have had grapefruit juice poured into them. The internet doesn’t work. Somehow it seems fitting. It is also infuriating. Everything is infuriating. The reality of wearing shoes is almost as bad as I feared it would be. Fok - damn him - was right about sneakers. I regret not having any. If I had brought sweatpants and running shoes, that is what Pitti would see me wearing today.

Instead I look like a moron. Who goes to Florence with three pairs of boots and nothing else? Only dipshits attending Pitti, that’s who. I am disappointed in myself. At some point this morning, my misery will turn to determination and I will trek back to the fair. The time has not yet come. I sort of feel as though I have forgotten my ability to walk. I clunk around like a goose, awkward on the land.

It’s 11 AM. My eye is leaking. I am in the press-room. I wonder if people look at me and assume that I am a broken man. I am having what are usually referred to as dizzy spells. This is not a good thing.

David walks in and says my name in a really high-pitched voice, which surprises and terrifies me.

"You look terrible,” he says.

We seee @dirnelli . He tells me I look tired. I am tired. I’m going to try to take a nap at 4:00. That will give me 3 hours to work and get back to the hotel in order to lay my weary head to rest.

Gracia joins me. She takes one look at me and say “My god, you look terrible.”

"It's the eyes," she adds when pressed. I explain my three-hour plan.

And so we dive into the grey ocean of the courtyard and emerge in the crowded booths.

We pass a brand called Moose Knuckles. Come on. And Crocs. Why they are here, at Pitti, I will never know. We pass brands with names like “Derrière" and “Just Over the Top,” neither of which sound appealing. I wonder how, with the crowds and the music, anyone can be expected to do any business - don't forget that this is, after all, a place of business.

I am watching for fuccbois today. I see several. More than several - now that I am actively searching, they are like fruit flies. They are everywhere. They are breeding rapidly. And then we find it.

The Hood by Air stand is in a new building, which Pitti calls the “Unconventional Zone.” It is some sort of “New Experience,” but mostly they just shoehorn everything that is maybe slightly “goth” into a single space. If you want to dress like a *******, I guess this where you go. HBA is populated by a lot of people wearing Hood By Air. But there are brands inside that are legitimately interesting, as well: Reinhard Plank, Isabel Benenato are two of them.

Inside the "Unconventional Zone,” two men are DJing sick beatz. HBA is obviously the star of this show - they’re right in the center, they have the young, hip crew manning the booth, they all…

Okay, look. I don’t consider myself a mean-spirited person. Nor do I usually make it my business to pass judgement on what people wear. But - ****.

Come on. This **** looks ridiculous. I thought, originally, that it was some kind of brilliant social commentary about how obsessed our culture is with status symbols and logos. I thought that maybe it was meant to be a parody of itself, a sort of in-joke: “Look what we can get people to buy!”

No. It’s for real. People, somehow - absurdly - believe in it. They want to wear it. They actively covet thousand-dollar hoodies plastered with what look like a cross between tobacco warnings and the sports-betting ads you see on European soccer jerseys. I can’t believe it. I am completely in awe. Later in the trip, SZ’s Faust will tell me that all the brands have declared that they, too, want to be placed in the “Unconventional Zone.” People, this **** is real. What’s more, it’s not really that different from the scene out by the wall - it’s peacocking, just…with more lines and random letters, I guess. I can’t pretend to understand, but I suddenly feel very self-conscious about wearing black and white. I wonder when we will begin to see the worlds colliding - casentino overcoats worn with Hood By Air ass-flaps, bespoke trousers and Givenchy kicks. It seems inevitable, and I don’t think I would bat an eye.

"I feel like Rick has spawned an entire subculture," says Gracia. She says the air mesh - which, like last year, is very popular - is mostly from Alexander Wang - health goth (sporty goth?) comes to mind. And then you mix that with Rick, she says, or more specifically Drkshdw, and you sort of get whatever this bling-goth (not the Rick and Chrome Hearts bling goth, you see) mash-up is. Everyone who is wearing it at Pitti is furiously white, skinny, and appears to be fifteen years old.

We leave. I am still having woozy moments, and the rainy air outside is a huge relief. We meet Fok in the press room. “You look terrible,” he says. We walk around outside. Everyone looks like a ******* now - the peacocks in tight green silk suits seem no different from the ALLBLVCKSTREETGOTHS. Or maybe it’s lumbergoth, now - every other person has a flannel shirt tied around his or her waist, covering up the leggings and falling just so beneath the Off-White hoodie. Those of you who suggest it has something to do with Kurt Cobain are straight up wrong.

Gracia does her thing well - all is relative, but she doesn't look over the top. Maybe it's because everything simply drapes, and she doesn't appear to worry about where things are going .

And then there are the tweeners, the people who are just…hangin’ out. Not quite ridiculous - or ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the true believers. There is a constant line for the men's bathroom- probably because we are all full of ****. There is a lot of shearling this year, faux and real. As far as I can tell, all of the people talking on their cell phones - and a number of them do seem to be actually talking - are Italian.

There is a logic to the pitti outfit - or at least, they is an ideal pitti outfit. I’mnot talking about the ideal blogger bait outfit, but the outfit you would wear to be comfortable. Big, loose coats do make sense. It’s chilly in the evening after Pitti, and you can leave your coat open all day. Sneakers make sense, too - this year it’s Stan Smiths, whereas last year it was Flyknits. Maybe the exposed ankles keep you from overheating?

Two of the men at Pitti who do dress very well

You learn a lot about what you feel comfortable wearing while you walk through the Fortezza. I don't want to be a person who has to constantly be fidgeting with their wardrobe - and if I ever need to adjust things, it bothers me endlessly. I am not going to drape a coat over my shoulders unless I am too damn hot and don't want to carry it - I'd probably go insane. Even then, I probably wouldn’t, because how could you possible move?

The day is largely a wash - this has happened to me the last two times I have been here, too: day one is silly but kind of exciting, and by day two I am ready to leave and never come back. Tuesday was good, largely because of our meetings - I can’t tell you how excited I am by the possibility of our Monitaly and Junhashimoto projects - but Wednesday…well, let’s say that I’m not looking forward to Thursday.

Dinner on Wednesday is with Gracia and David at a nearby trattoria. The basement in which we are seated smells a bit like a septic tank. Our pâté crostini are very good, as is the carpaccio that David and I order, but after that it’s all a bit disappointing - and the pasta is very salty. Otherwise, the evening is essentially just a string of dick jokes, courtesy of David. I have listed several below, devoid of context. Enjoy.

"Greg really likes the bone."

"This is a huge piece of meat"

"Doesn't quite make your mouth water?"

"Would you say it's as bloody as promised?"

"I can't fit another inch of it in my mouth"

"You kinda ball it up and stuff it in there."

We're done here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Day 2:

I've decided to give some pointers instead:
1) **** everyone, wear sneakers if you are "press". Vendors get to sit down, and having a home base allows you to feel somewhat grounded. Buyers have long appointments, and also get to sit down. "Press", especially if you are not a blogger who spends most of the day standing outside around the wall, walks approxmately 10 miles, at speed, during the day, not counting the walking commute (about 30-40 minutes each day). Lowtops or loosely laced hightops are the most comfortable.
2) Hood by Air is everything the Kanye, and then Derulo and 2Chainz, has ever worn, but put into one label. Except for the graphic element, @Synthese actually looks a bit Hood by Air. The obvious visual differences between that "street goth" look and the more artisanal arte povera inspired stuff is that the street goth look uses more contrasting black and white, and the blacks are more saturated, generally, while there are a lot more greys and charcoals and more "grunginess" in the latter. Jasper's look is definitely on the cleaner, more contrasting, end of things.
3) I want to wear an overdyed Casentino jacket with drop crotched jeans and low tops sneakers. Maybe that will be my next project.
4) Jasper did look like ****. Not because of his fucboi style, but because he looked like he was in Requiem for a Dream the entire week.
5) I had room service on the evening of Day 2, which was a pretty good pasta with ragu, and a really good side order of fries (yeah, really, they were really good). I recommend the one night on, one night off, schedule, for everyone.
6) Faust looks disappointingly normal. Though, that may just have been the surroundings. At Pitti, everything not a red tartan suit blends into a big amorphous normal. Even Gracia looks pretty normal there. Subtlety just gets drowned out. I wear a leather jacket, jeans, and sneakers, everywhere. I figure that if I am going to be at these things, I may as well wear my favorite, most banged up, clothes and feel as comfortable/normal as possible.

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think fok's last point is very true. i feel like i'm going to have an aneurysm just going to capsule in nyc. really can't imagine going to pitti. you get fatigued looking at things after about thirty seconds. couldn't imagine being a buyer at one of these things. how do you decide what you're going to buy? it all becomes indistinguishable so quickly

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i think fok's last point is very true. i feel like i'm going to have an aneurysm just going to capsule in nyc. really can't imagine going to pitti. you get fatigued looking at things after about thirty seconds. couldn't imagine being a buyer at one of these things. how do you decide what you're going to buy? it all becomes indistinguishable so quickly

The last part is true to a degree, but this trip I kind of felt like it makes the stuff that is good stand out that much more. There always are a handful of brands - expected and otherwise - that really impress. This is on the Streetwear side, of course, which is very seperate - both metaphorically and physically - from the tailored stuff, which I absolutely cannot tell apart.

Also, I was very jealous of the hordes wearing Stans. Those are comfy shoes.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Jasper just chided me on not writing about my Day 2. So I will tell you that after I ran through the "Touch", "Altro Uomo" (Alternative fashion, which essentially means, Streetwear and Denim, but the more workweary/heritage side of things) and the "Futuro Maschile" pavillions, I went home, wrote my Day 1 updates, and then crashed on my bed.

Jasper emailed me at about 6:30 to ask if I was still interested in dinner, and I ignored his email. He thoughtfully called about 7:30, and I was forced to tell him that I was done for the day. He said that I sounded asleep, which I had been, and was again, until about 9 p.m., at which time I woke up to order room service. Italians are not known for exemplary customer service, so when I asked for a second set of knives and forks, I was asked "So, you ordered for one, but want two sets of knives and forks?" "Yes, because I feel bloated from all the pasta and coffee and sweets I've ingested in the last 24 hours". Then I watched BBC World until I fell asleep. And then I woke up at around midnight to turn off the tv.

Before all of that, I went on a little chocolate tour with @Kent Wang . Kent had a map from some travel site, and of the three chocolatiers recommended, only one was open. As usual, I was late, and he was already disappointed with Venchi (which I'd said he would be at the dinner the night before), and we were off to Rivoire. I was a bit apprehensive that Kent might be disappointed there as well. and he was. The last place looked more promising, and we ordered several of what we thought would be good truffles, a couple of them liqueur flavored.

I wrote earlier that Italians are astounding literal with their food descriptions. A burger is often just a patty. If you order beef with noodles and wilted kale, you will get just that. It's a food allergics paradise. Still, I was not prepared to start daydrinking at a chocolatiers. But that I did, with each truffle containing a full shot of amaretto or grappa. It was slightly disappointing, but at least it was a shock.

After that, we found a little osteria, and had a cheap, decent, but not particularly impressive, lunch. Later that evening, Kent emailed me that he'd found two more places, that were much better.

Which, all in all summarizes a lot of what you see at Pitti. Most things are disappointing, or just plain bland. Those that are not, are often just shocking. The really interesting stuff are diamonds in the coal mine, and it takes a lot of time and energy to find them. Which is my way of saying that you should support the retail stores whose goods you like, at retail. Yes, someone else can buy the same stuff, and maybe even charge less, but if you trust the taste of a specific retailer, support them. If you don't, and the retailer goes out of business, you'll find yourself with less cool stuff to choose from.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the Pitti equivalent of a visual palette cleanser I wonder.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good notes, including snapshots, and confidence in your taste and a the ability to convey that to others. Oh, and being really well organized

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the Pitti equivalent of a visual palette cleanser I wonder.
American tourists. Really.

On day zero, Jen and I had lunch at a little restaurant in the Mercado Central. There, we saw a chef (open air kitchen) slaving away over a hot grill. His sleeves were rolled up. It was hot even at our spot at the bar. He had on a scarf. It was a big, wool scarf. That is Italy. You can't really ever get away from fashion. Which is okay, except that for a week you are in the pulsating heart of menswear.

Seeing American tourists with ****** jeans and Patagonia fleeces is sorta detox. It's better when those wearing Patagonia and jeans look like they might hike once in a while, but after a bit, you'll take it even if that scenario seems unlikely.

On a related, but tangential note, American men are the luckiest men on earth. Everywhere I go, I see attractive young women with American guys who are best described as "schlubby". On day zero, I ran up the steps of the Duomo, nearly 500 steps. I hate walking, so I told Jen that I'd go up on the condition that we get on our workout clothes and actually run up. I had zero interest in sweating in my streetclothes, but I figured that before a week of #menswear, I could use an additonal workout. The steps were surprisingly easy, after all the warnings that we'd read about the steps - don't attempt if you have a heart condition, are not fit, etc... I am not in the same shape I was in a decade ago. I'm not even in the same shape I was a year and a half ago, but 500 steps is not that many. I just looked it up, and it's just 370 ft or so.. Or, maybe they are. Stream after stream of panting, sweating people made it up the stairs after us, looking pretty winded. There was one large group of college aged tourists, many of them couples. To the couple, the girls were attractive and relatively fit in that sorority girl way, and to a man, the dudes all looked like they could cut down on their pizza consumption. And this is from me, who could definitely lose 10-15 lbs and not blink. There has got to be a sociological study about this somewhere.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate everyone and everything when I wake up five and a half hours later. I loathe the idea of putting on shoes. I shower, and try to go back to sleep - impossible. Instead I get up and have breakfast, which is also impossible. I can’t believe that I have to go back to Pitti today. It seems absurd. Isn’t it over? Haven’t we done everything we came here to do? Can’t we ******* leave yet? I will need to nap at some point. Probably soon. Potentially within the hour.​
You've just made Pitti Uomo sound like waking up in the bed of a regrettable lay.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Seeing American tourists with ****** jeans and Patagonia fleeces is sorta detox.  It's better when those wearing Patagonia and jeans look like they might hike once in a while, but after a bit, you'll take it even if that scenario seems unlikely.

I think most europeans can relate to this, but I have game when I'm bored called spot the american turist 9 times out of 10, they are wearing fanny packs, black wraparound sunglasses and ill-fitting clothes 2 sizes to big, it's really quite funny.

I wrote earlier that Italians are astounding literal with their food descriptions.  A burger is often just a patty.  If you order beef with noodles and wilted kale, you will get just that.  It's a food allergics paradise.  

I actually had a discussion with a burger place in Milan, which used Piemonte beef for their patties (which was so so smooth) about food descriptions and the fact bacon is crisp, which it wasn't.

I had to use two italian customers as translators, who agreed with me when I brought it up.

I would love to see a @dieworkwear pitti report.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would love to see a @dieworkwear pitti report.

I would like to see a Pitti film report where @unbelragazzo enters one of the palazzos like the opening sequence of Get Smart

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics