Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Philistine, Anti-Intellectual Entertainment Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Mark from Plano, Mar 10, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

So much pure heartfelt emotion in this song. Never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

^^^^That's a good reason, actually.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i think i posted my love for Tropic Thunder in a DT thread already

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

i think i posted my love for Tropic Thunder in a DT thread already

Saw this for this first time this weekend. Pretty damned funny.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I thought Man on Fire was pretty good. ...Twilight? Really?
    Never saw or read any Harry Potter so I wanted to know what this new popular franchise was. It is very well constructed (crafted) and entirely devoid of artistic merit but whatever. I guess it is possible to make a whole series of movies about a girl who really wants to lose her virginity and the boy who respects her too much to do it, as long as you keep it (slightly)metaphorical.

6. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

This song has been stuck in my head recently...

I thoroughly enjoy it.

I also like the 'I Hate Sarah Marshall' version. Actually, watching this movie recently reminded me of the song in the first place.

Also, I watched 17 Again with Zac Efron. I thoroughly enjoyed it. He manages to come across like a cool dude and not an awful actor. Plus, his style would kill on the SW&D forum.

There...I feel better.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Watching:

-Skins

The first two series of Skins were great. The third was almost unwatchable.

Anwar's tortured relationship with his best friend's homosexuality was one of the best arcs I've seen on TV lately, and the resolution was terrific. Good stuff.

8. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

9. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

Cool thread, tbh I don't make that much difference in value between what others may think cool and hip and what not; some of the things I happen to like are deem'd as kitsch, some as completely outrÃ[​IMG] avantgarde...'course I'm not stupid and do realize what is maybe not considered as high culture (but still inspiring to me):

e.g. I always liked and was inspired by the movie The Mummy, and esp. The Mummy Returns which is even worse, starring B.Frazer and Rachel Weiss (who is btw an incredibly bad actress), check out their London home (interior etc.) in the latter one- its very cool! (I also always had a weakness for the Indy Jones movies, btw, also Star Wars OT though this has decreased a bit in recent years).

Recently I can't say what kitsch I have consumed...maybe tv-wise (I nearly never watch- only political stuff and news) I like Dr. House and in the literary departement have been hooked a bit on Bukowski's pulply low-life stories (also Lovecraft is a fav)...also as far as manga go I like the 70s stories of Golgo 13...(speaking of which, also James Bond by Ian Flemming-esp. from when I turned 30 and onwards, strangely enough).

Maybe there are many more 'deviations'...will think about further ones...

p.s. yes, and I have also watched the Harry Potter movies and somehow enjoyed them but I won't read the books (too boring and predicatable...my g/f was reading them in a foreign language (for practice). She only had to read one sentence out of context to me and I could 'predict' exactly how the story would develop further (whereby I simply had imagined how an unimaginative mediocre person [the author] would have evolved it)...so reading that is a bit out of the q. for me...but as far as the film goes I could well identified myself with the Malfoy character and those two sibling brother pranksters since I was a combi of those in my own school days...mixed with that crazy girl (Luna, maybe?)...anyway, cool films about how to lead a mediocre life in society packaged in some magical mystical frame for compensation...[​IMG]

10. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Rachel Weiss (who is btw an incredibly bad actress)

No she isn't.

11. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

Yeah, maybe not but she was in The Mummy...(one really can't argue with that)...edit: have looked around on youtube just now and couldnt find it...but e.g. check out the scene where she gets drunk and says that she doesn't know what she is -a scholar an archeologist or a librarian or whatnot...that's bordering on the embarrassing...anyway, as I said, I still like those movies...

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i thought rachel weiss was really good in my blueberry nights

13. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

Off the top of my head:

Movies:

The Cable Guy
    Freddie Got Fingered
    Point Break (or is this exonerable since Ketheryn Bigelow won the Oscar?)

TV:

She Spies (first two seasons)

Music:

Pretty much anything performed by Rihanna and the Pussycat Dolls

14. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I watched the Real World today.

15. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

I watched the Real World today.

this season is one of the worst/most boring in recent memory.