Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

the perfect, unadorned grey crewneck sweatshirt

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wmmk, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

Its "plain and unadorned" - just buy a sweatshirt in the price range you feel comfortable in. please God don't save up for a plain crew neck.

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

I will be buying that cashmere j crew one when it hits $50 tho

3. imightbechad

imightbechad Senior member

Thanks Robin.

I'll have to go check it.

Chad

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Have you called Uniqlo NY? I bought a gray "lightweight fleece" sweatshirt from them last spring (I think?) over the phone. It stretches out a little more easily than I would prefer, but it's nice.

Somebody posted a nice levis version in WAYWT lately, but I forget who and I'm too lazy to look.

5. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

I will be buying that cashmere j crew one when it hits $50 tho
    Me too. And yeah, the sweatshirt is not online yet. Edit: It's exactly like this but in sweatshirt form.

6. joeygladstone

joeygladstone Well-Known Member

Hickey is good at creating fairly nice clothing and then ruining it with a giant pot leaf or other ridiculous detail.
    this

7. robin

robin Senior member

8. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I don't eat Doritos. And I tend to dislike couches.
    Hahaha. Get the fuck out of here. I've seen your pictures and style. Has internet snobbery really gotten to you to the point where you don't even like couches anymore? You're still young. Don't grow up to be some of these MC guys with the unbelievable snobbishness. I don't blame you on the doritos. Eating them every day for 3 years during middle school lunch turned me off for life, but couches? Also, what's with everyone here so focused on finding "the perfect" sweatshirt/jeans/white sneaks/white button down/etc... Do you only wear one outfit or what? Different pieces suit different aesthetics and work well in specific outfits. No wonder so many people here seem so joyless about clothing and approach it as a chore or job. Nothing's perfect.

9. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

I got this one at Banana Republic last week. On sale for $23.99. It's part of their "Heritage" collection. It's not on their website. Supersoft, 2 layers. My white undershirt is popping out of the collar, that's not part of the sweatshirt.

[​IMG]

10. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

The UO and BR ones mentioned are so thin, you can buy $20 sweatshirt at JC Penney that's easily twice as thick and just as warm. Yeah it'll have a big addidas logo and probably be green, but atleast it'll be thick, warm and fairly soft. If I'm buying a sweatshirt it shouldn't be a thin drapey material, as well it would be made of cotton with maybe a bit of poly for strenghth. I don't think it's fair to lump things like cashmere crewneck sweaters into this catergory. If you want a classic peice of clothing that people wore in the 60s to workout in the cold, it sure as hell wouldn't have been made out of fragile 100% cashmere. If you're idealizing buying this piece of clothing for authentic attributes, some of these materials of options mentioned doesn't really make sense.

11. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

Also, what's with everyone here so focused on finding "the perfect" sweatshirt/jeans/white sneaks/white button down/etc... Do you only wear one outfit or what? Different pieces suit different aesthetics and work well in specific outfits. No wonder so many people here seem so joyless about clothing and approach it as a chore or job. Nothing's perfect.

Other members have different budgets, interests and objectives when buying clothes than you do. That can't be a surprise to you at this point can it?

12. naaaaate

naaaaate Senior member

J. Crew has one out right now. It has the triangle stitching, fits well, supersoft, not too heavy, and a heather grey almost marbled look. Just came out for S/S 09, $39.50 or $49.50, I forget.

Only that much? I think I might grab one if there isn't hickey bleach on it like there seems to be on the arms of this one from acl

[​IMG]

13. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Other members have different budgets, interests and objectives when buying clothes than you do. That can't be a surprise to you at this point can it?
    Well, some people are showing more heritage workwear type sweatshirts like buzz rickson, loopwheeler and stuff, others are showing cashmere sweaters, other people talking about champion and hanes, then somes other sweaters with completely different looks. I posted because i see a lot of threads/posts about finding the "perfect" item or using the question "what's the forum consensus?" when there are obviously a lot of different looks, aesthetics, cultures, styles, inspirations, etc... People just treat it like a chore sometimes. Plenty of people dress traditional on this board but have their shit together and are open minded. I wasn't getting into all that stuff, but take it there if you want.

14. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

I get what you're saying and I don't disagree with you. Its just that you're banging your head against the wall here - the majority of people, even in a self-selecting group like this one, want to be told what's good. If you're not a 'true' clothing enthusiast, you get caught thinking its too much time and $ to really experiment so you want what looks decent and more importantly is decidedly easy.

Can't say that I find fault with that. In fact, I do it myself on other forums, like music. I'm guilty of starting threads that basically say "I like New Order, what other bands [should] I like?".

15. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Only that much? I think I might grab one if there isn't hickey bleach on it like there seems to be on the arms of this one from acl [​IMG]
    This is a different one than the one I saw. The one I saw was exactly like the henley I posted but just imagine it in crewneck form and with a less bulky looking collar. Also no bleach stains. Definitely $39.50.