Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

the perfect, unadorned grey crewneck sweatshirt

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wmmk, Dec 25, 2008.

1. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Hey guys,

I've been looking around for a slim heathered grey crewneck sweatshirt (preferably with old-school Ivy/trad type ribbing and that upside-down triangle stitching at the neck) and having a much harder time than I thought I would. L.L. Bean makes one, but its fit is somewhat tent-like. Uniqlo makes one, but it's only available in the UK (if I could get one, I definitely would. Maybe I'll try a proxy). Buzz Rickson and some other Japanese repro brands make them, but they're all insanely expensive ($150 for a sweatshirt--yikes!!). The Michael J. Krell shawl-neck sweatshirt would be perfect if it were a crewneck.

So, are there any other brands to look at where I can a sweatshirt as I described for a reasonable price? If not, what's the best way to go about doing Uniqlo UK proxies?

Thanks much,
    wmmk

2. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

3. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

4. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

. Buzz Rickson and some other Japanese repro brands make them, but they're all insanely expensive ($50 for a sweatshirt--yikes!!).

Please find me a place selling Buzz Rickson sweatshirts for $50.... I'll buy every one they've got..

5. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

loopwheel ftw
    As I said, while I truly appreciate the attention to quality and detail that goes into Japanese repros, I can't afford that stuff.

Please find me a place selling Buzz Rickson sweatshirts for $50.... I'll buy every one they've got..
    Sorry, that was a typo on my part. Should've said 150; and I saw them on Rakuten.

MJK had a crewneck one.
    Ah, good to know, I'll have my eyes peeled for one on B&S.

Anyway, any other brands to be on the lookout for?

6. robin

robin Senior member

It looks like J.Crew might put some out this next year.

7. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

Hanes + tailor

probably about right

8. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

It looks like J.Crew might put some out this next year.
    Interesting. You mean SS09, or FW09?
    Hanes + tailor the details will be off , but hanes crewneck sweaters are 10$ tops and tailoring shouldn't be terrible shouldn't cost you more than 35$
    Interesting option. I suppose the fit might even be better than a RTW sweatshirt. I suppose I could ask the tailor to stitch on the triangle thing at the neck, etc. Other than that, what details would be "off"? And how's the quality/warmth on Hanes? I know it wouldn't be Buzz Rickson, but should it at least be at H&M/Uniqlo level?

9. mulansauce

mulansauce Senior member

And how's the quality/warmth on Hanes? I know it wouldn't be Buzz Rickson, but should it at least be at H&M/Uniqlo level?

It's Hanes--Buzz Rickson can't compare. They are cotton-rich for breathable comfort, with two-needle topstitching reinforcing all the right places.

10. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

Hanes or Fruit of the Loom make sweaters with the v-stitching... they are cotton/acrylic blend and not 100% cotton, they are not loopwheeled/reverse woven/what have you... they won't be as soft and might begin to pill with wear but I think will serve your budget restrictions alright.

If you really want a good sweater that will last you and improve with wear save up for one of the repros.

If you are just looking for something to fit into a particular fit, I think taking a couple pictures and a basic sweater to a tailor might be a place to start at least.

robie

11. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

HickeyStyle had what seemed to be a great version, and on clearance for only about $35...but they ruined it with clorox splatters. :\\

12. mulansauce

mulansauce Senior member

Hickey is good at creating fairly nice clothing and then ruining it with a giant pot leaf or other ridiculous detail.

13. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

I haven't worn anything from Champion since high school, do they offer anything that doesn't fit like a sail?

I know their stuff is either loopwheeled, or similar... it is just hard to find plain champion sweaters, and the vintage ones on ebay go for $$$

14. mulansauce

mulansauce Senior member

If you wear a small, you could always travel to the boy's department for something that might fight. Usually the arms and length will be totally off, but sometimes it works. I have a child's sized Champion from when I was in middle school that was big on me then but fits surprisingly nice now. I don't think I have worn it outside the house for a few years though.

15. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

i was gonna say buzz rickson/loopwheeler then I read the OP. perfection does not come cheap.