• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The perfect shoe?

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
A few years ago I saw a picture of these Scribe Derbies by Bally in a certain gentlemen's publication. To my mind they're just about perfect - beautiful color, nice shape, elegant while still a tiny bit ballsy.

I've been looking for something similar ever since. Closest I've found are some Cole Haans which, while nice, aren't really in the same league at all.
What do you think, are the Ballys as nice as they look? Where can I find something similar?Thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Last edited:

newbie123

Reaction score
Within the first 10 seconds of looking at the shoe, it immediately reminded me of an AE Kenilworth (however, this has only 3 eyelets)

Here are some images of the Kenilworth (courtesy of the AE thread):

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
Agree that the Kenilworth is nice, and it's pretty close in style to the Bally minus the extra holes and the flared sides. But that red patina on the Bally...

Maybe I need to go cordovan?

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

Agree that the Kenilworth is nice, and it's pretty close in style to the Bally minus the extra holes and the flared sides. But that red patina on the Bally...
Maybe I need to go cordovan?

AE for this sort of brown uses a burnished brown, which means theres a slight dark brown finish on top of a brown leather; my dad's malverns have this too. I used saphir claret colored (reddish burgundy) wax polish, which kind of removes that burnishing and affects the leather with some of the reddish burgundy, which become more and more present over time—or after 10 or so polishings. The kenilworth comes in a walnut too; you could antique them using ron rider's antiquing method here. If I had a pair of kenilworths in walnut that is what I would do.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/45530/shoe-antiquing

You will see that a lot of the colors match the srcribe derby.

P.s. I also saw that article in esquire years ago and thought that color was gorgeous.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

Those look like patrick_b's shoes

those are patrick_b's shoes. DId you see that he posted links to ebay auctions where they also used his images from SF to sell kenilworth shoes. I guess that's got to be flattering, but also very annoying. He's good at this form of glacage, and I have to appreciate it.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Perfect shoe IMO

qxw6lf.jpg

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
Very nice, although it looks a touch "dainty" to my eye. Vas ist?

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
those look like edward greens

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads