• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The perfect penny loafers

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I'd like to get your input on what the perfect penny loafer is, whether its for casual purposes, or more formal purposes, doesnt matter. If you were going to have one a pair made completely custom, what would you want?

If you have pictures of what you think makes the perfect penny loafer, please post them!

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think these C&J Boston's are the ideal penny loafer. I like the rolled stitch on the vamp and it has a nice strap shape. I also like a full strap. Not sure what model that is though.

boston_bur_01.jpg

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The perfect penny loafer for me is not a penny but a tassel loafer. The RLPL Addison.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think these C&J Boston's are the ideal penny loafer. I like the rolled stitch on the vamp and it has a nice strap shape. I also like a full strap. Not sure what model that is though.
boston_bur_01.jpg

I have these in their RL cordovan incarnation, and like them.

In the end, though, it's not a penny (and it doesn't wear loosey-goosey-moccasin-y) if it has a skin-stitched lake. For that, the best looking versions to me are the ones derived directly from the original Wildsmith, like the Eton and Harrow versions from EG:

Otherwise, the best penny bets are Maine-made with Rancourt or Quoddy.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 with the Rancourt.

Rancourt sells directly, and also manufactures for quite a few well-known-on-SF sellers (like Eapulet, Leffot,...even for Polo Ralph Lauren)

Quoddy gives me heartburns and induces nausea..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The perfect penny loafer for me is Alden's Handsewn in #8 shell cordovan. I've had mine for over a decade, and they look and feel better than ever.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Something in cordovan. I have a pair of MTO AE Kenwoods in cigar shell. Love them. The pinking on the tongue and trim is kind of a cool/unique detail too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads