• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Perfect Navy Summer Sportcoat: What material/weights are best?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A more clarified posting:

1. What is the most professional and elegant material for the classic 3 button Navy sportcoat (Summer) for business casual?
2. From experience, what have you found to be the most useful in summer?
3. Can Cotton and Linen be used or do they come off as too casual in the summer months for corporate attire?

Material recommendations?

Wool If so, what weight?
dozingoff.gif

Cotton?
plain.gif

Linen?
bored.gif

Combo?
lookaround.gif

Cashmeres/silks?
blush.gif

Thanks for any insights

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
There have been a few related threads in the last couple of weeks. Wool fresco seems to be the consensus best choice. Cotton and linen too casual for business, cashmere and silk too warm for the summer.

Tom

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My summer blazer is 10 oz. fresco and it is comfortably cool and wears like a beast. My next commission will be a 14 oz. Irish linen, possibly DB. The first is more useful though.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This a lightweight Navy/check wool jacket I've used with grey wool/flannels in the past. Perhaps this will do? It does have a spring summer feel about it with the check pattern and blue.

w9fxmv.jpg
]
w9gras.jpg

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It strikes me as a bit dark for summer. Could be the photography.

You own a mannekin?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
It strikes me as a bit dark for summer. Could be the photography.

You own a mannekin?

---Keep in mind that it is for business, so I don't mind it being dark. I'm thinking it may be a nice balance for formal business yet summer casual over just the pure navy.

Yes, I have a stand in for those mistaken purchases to be sent off to ebay; more than payed for itself many times over.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a cashmere hopsack unlined that has been great for the last five summers even in the hottest climes. I also have a fresco that I bought for this summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads