• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The perfect navy blazer

linux_pro

Reaction score
Well, I spent all day today looking for the perfect navy blazer and can not find it. I went to a local place called Mario's, which carries Kiton, Canali, Brioni, Barbera, Zegna, Prada, etc and they didn't have a single navy blazer I found acceptable. All they showed me, it seems, were various suit jackets. So many of the blazers I looked at today just looked silly or cheap. I'm unsure of whether to stick with a 3-button SB, or go for it and get a DB. Is DB too formal? Will it lose the versatility of a SB? The only blazer I've found that I really liked was this: http://www.polo.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1784726 but I'm not sure what it would actually look like since they buttoned the goddam bottom button in the pic (why do they do that?), and I'm not sure that it's worth the price. Anyone have a blazer they love? Something versatile, classy and a true classic blazer?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2-button single in a hopsack weave is IMHO the one I like. Oxxford does this particularly well

uppercase

Reaction score
Linux, wait and save your money for Italy.

If you're going to Italy , you will find amazing clothes there.

I was there 2 weeks ago, everything on sale 30-50% off.

I don't know how long the sales last but in any case, Italy will be a wonderland for you.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually... the sales there are regulated, nationwide 'official' sales in January. May be over in March but check the market mentioned on Saturday Via Papiniano I think - (mentioned in your other thread). Bring cash as most don't have a credit card machine and they will make deals. Expect to talk them down 20% or so.

Once found a Luciano Barbera cashmere blend suit there for $150 Euros brand new, some Borrelli shirts NIB for $20.... You have to know what you are looking for, there is a lot of crap but some hidden gems.

linux_pro

Reaction score
Hey Chuck...

And you said on the phone you had some blazers/suits coming in... anything like what you described in a 38R or thereabouts?

dietcookie

Reaction score
I bought a Brioni 2B SB Standard Blue Blazer Gold Buttons as my first. Pretty nice, the gorge is kind of bigger than i'd like but it works fine. Just the big ass B letter on the buttons are kind of a distraction.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Two years ago, I too was in search of the perfect navy blazer.  Looked everywhere in NYC for one, but each one I saw failed to meet my vision.  

Then, on a trip to Paris, out of the blue I found it: three buttons, side-vents, light shoulder padding, Loro Piana fabric.  It was a wee bit more expensive than I would have liked, but it is a purchase I do not regret making, as I feel and look great everytime I wear that blazer.

So Europe may indeed have what you are looking for.  

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2-button single in a hopsack weave is IMHO the one I like.  Oxxford does this particularly well
I have this one too (echo-do I hear an echo?). The hopsack weave gives it a lot of interest through the texture and my alterations tailor was very impressed by Oxxford's construction. Bought on Ebay for about $450.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is double-breasted 'too formal' for a guy who wears a vest and a bowler hat? Â probably not.
smile.gif
Would this one fit you, by any chance? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....18&rd=1

linux_pro

Reaction score
I wish I was a 40R, it would make my life so much easier. I am a 38R. When I wear 40R, it is too large in the chest, and looks silly. Thanks for the links, however. That Brioni silk DB blazer was nice.

Chuck - I can't even find an Oxxford hopsack blazer online anywhere. Have any ideas?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Chuck...

And you said on the phone you had some blazers/suits coming in... anything like what you described in a 38R or thereabouts?
Yeah - shooting about 2-3 dozen Oxxford items right now to put on ebay. THink we have some 38-39 stuff by Oxxford and Canali in this bunch. Some Brioni and Kiton as well... once it's all ready I'll post links in buying/selling to it.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, we do have one in a hopsack 39. Will link later. Have another that is a Super 150's but that one is 44L. Call me old fashioned but in some ways I like the hopsack better. Too bad you aren't a 48-50, we haver some super 150's oxxfords and some pure cashmere oxxford suits that are ...nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads