• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The parenting thread

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
- talk to the kid about 'budgeting'
- thank the mother for giving the kid $4 and offer to pay it back

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
- talk to the kid about 'budgeting'
- thank the mother for giving the kid $4 and offer to pay it back

+1. Make sure you do the second one asap. Even if it's just $4, it's the right gesture.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, here is what we did - as soon as he told me, I told him that he had to pay her back, with interest - we pay him interest on his money that we hold in the back, so I figured that he had to pay interest on money that he borrowed, even for one day.

then, I talked to him about budgeting.

then, I set out all the stuff he bought, and we talked about how many days of allowance each piece cost him.

but, here is the catch - talking to the friends mother, it turns out that what happened was that he was trying to figure out if he could afford the stuff he wanted, so she offered to make up the difference - which was 40 cents, not 4 bucks. so, we had another discussion about budgeting, told him it still wasn't good, but that it was better than before. and the mother will buy him a hotdog next playdate with the 5 bucks.

I just thought that it was an interesting question. thanks

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
OP: Why don't you talk to your kid? Why does he think he's "stupid" and that what he did was the best he can do? ".

^^^ This

If your son thinks he's stupid, there's something else going on at school that you need to be looking into.

As for the Wii, personally I wouldn't give him one right now, but hold it out as a reward if he improves his grades and sustains them throughout the year.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
there is a difference between learning, doing well in school and curiosity. frankly, I don't think that my kid learns anything (specific) of importance in school, what he does learn is how to follow rules and instructions, apply himself to what the people in charge of him want from him, and conform. he learns a lot of other stuff at home.

+100

I'm with Robert Anton Wilson on the subject of schools - in his view, they were instruments of social conditioning, with "education" (i.e., learning what the Ministry of Thoug...err, Education wanted you to learn) added more or less as an afterthought.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, here is what we did - as soon as he told me, I told him that he had to pay her back, with interest - we pay him interest on his money that we hold in the back, so I figured that he had to pay interest on money that he borrowed, even for one day.

then, I talked to him about budgeting.

then, I set out all the stuff he bought, and we talked about how many days of allowance each piece cost him.

but, here is the catch - talking to the friends mother, it turns out that what happened was that he was trying to figure out if he could afford the stuff he wanted, so she offered to make up the difference - which was 40 cents, not 4 bucks. so, we had another discussion about budgeting, told him it still wasn't good, but that it was better than before. and the mother will buy him a hotdog next playdate with the 5 bucks.

I just thought that it was an interesting question. thanks

good call, zach... reading that made me realize I have to start talking to my just-turned-8 year old about budgeting and being responsible with money... and I know I'm late.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
..and I know I'm late.
That's what she said. In all seriousness, how important is having a father figure in a young girl's life? I hear the term "daddy" issues thrown around but what does it really mean? General distrust of men?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
That's what she said.

In all seriousness, how important is having a father figure in a young girl's life? I hear the term "daddy" issues thrown around but what does it really mean? General distrust of men?

very important

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's what she said.

In all seriousness, how important is having a father figure in a young girl's life? I hear the term "daddy" issues thrown around but what does it really mean? General distrust of men?

Lindsay-Lohan-Drunk-in-Rehab.jpg

XeF4

Reaction score
That's what she said. In all seriousness, how important is having a father figure in a young girl's life? I hear the term "daddy" issues thrown around but what does it really mean? General distrust of men?
Broken preception of relationships due to dead beat dad who fucked up on being a father.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, next question -

your kid goes on a playdate with a friends family to lunch and then walk around chinatown. you give him 10 dollars from his savings to spend.

he comes home, and says that he ran out of money and asked his friends mother for more money to buy an additional knicknack, spending a total of 14 dollars - so he tells you that he took 4 bucks from the mother.

what do you do?

Make him pay her back. Make him earn the 4$ doing some small but meaningful work.

It would also depend on their relationship and how often if ever you give their kid money/toys. If you have a close relationship that might not be that strange, if he is working her he needs to be set straight.
I don't think it's wrong to accept gifts from other peoples parents but kids need to learn boundaries and not to take advantage of another's generosity.

I had a similar situation recently.
My 10 year old boy came back from spending the weekend with my brother and his wife and had a new (small) lego toy. He told me she bought it for him. At first I was kind of pissed as I had given him money and wanted to make sure he had not manipulated the situation to end up in that particular toy store. After some reflection and clarification I just let it go, I don't think he had done anything wrong and I buy her kids things from time to time as well.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
okay here's a new one:

was talking to a good friend of mine the other day. school here's about to end and his 10 year old daughter, who studies in the same girls school as my daughter, invited her class to their house on the last day of school.

a big part of her invite list told her that if this classmate of theirs is coming, then they're not. this classmate is close to my friend's daughter, actually- that girl's dad is a friend of mine too. think they find this girl 'bossy' according to my friend. so my friend's daughter cannot decide on what to do. jeesh... never realize they become catty at such an early age...

Gutman

Reaction score
don't let your friend indulge that sort of manipulation... a class invite is a class invite.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay here's a new one:

was talking to a good friend of mine the other day. school here's about to end and his 10 year old daughter, who studies in the same girls school as my daughter, invited her class to their house on the last day of school.

a big part of her invite list told her that if this classmate of theirs is coming, then they're not. this classmate is close to my friend's daughter, actually- that girl's dad is a friend of mine too. think they find this girl 'bossy' according to my friend. so my friend's daughter cannot decide on what to do. jeesh... never realize they become catty at such an early age...

10 years old? Have the mom phone the other moms...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
and say what?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads