• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oxford-Shoe-Worn-Casually Appreciation Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manton was a big proponent of balmoral boots back in the day. I bought a pair after reading his thread at The London Lounge, where he organized a group run of Carmina bal boots. Wore them once and put them back in my closet. Too dandy for me, and my cat later attacked the boots.

This is why I advocate pets that can neither get anywhere nor do any damage if they somehow do.
PSX_20211023_122316.jpg

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy to see some photos. Do you have some that show a full outfit with blue dress shoes? Doesn't have to be of you, but just any photo examples of full outfits and not shoe + pant hem combos.

imagine a pair of dark brown flannel or cord pants. Add a sweater or shirt on top. Is this really that difficult? you whine about “odd” colored shoes in every other thread while they go perfectly fine if one is half decent at color coordination…it might just not fit your rules…

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
imagine a pair of dark brown flannel or cord pants. Add a sweater or shirt on top. Is this really that difficult? you whine about “odd” colored shoes in every other thread while they go perfectly fine if one is half decent at color coordination…it might just not fit your rules…

I find it hard to discuss this stuff without photos. Do you mean like this?

denim-jacket-long-sleeve-shirt-jeans-large-27082.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is pretty common. The shoe threads are full of non-traditional or overly dressy designs. Examples: blue shoes, green shoes, purple shoes; oxfords and wholecuts. Those shoes express formality and the virtuosity of the shoemaker, so people buy them. But I'm not sure they have the wardrobe for it.

You and @JFWR have said you like blue dress shoes. Do you have suggestions for how they can be worn well? Ideally with photographic examples of full outfits?

I own one pair of navy blue chukkas, one pair of navy blue/white spectators, and one pair of blue suede oxfords. I don't have any full outfit photos off hand, mainly because I broke my full length mirror recently.

In terms of combinations:

I wore my spectators in a rockabilly type outfit that isn't anywhere near CM. Black leather jacket, black pants, white and blue spectators. This was, again, not CM.

Otherwise, I have only worn those shoes twice, so I don't know if I have found coherent outfits to wear them with at this juncture. I am not quite sure I'd want to wear them in a professional setting. They seem very much "these are shoes for night time wear when I am out having drinks and having fun". I tried them with chinos and wasn't very satisfied with the result.

As for the chukkas: I have recently paired these with grey trousers, a blue waist coat, dress shirt, tie, and a very dark grey jacket.

I've worn them with medium brown cords and a blue corduroy jacket over a grey sweater in the winter.

I've worn them with very light-grey (dressier cut) chinos, a black linen sports coat, and a light blue polo shirt for summer night wear.

That's off hand. I don't remember every combination I've attempted with them. I am fairly certain I've worn them with black pants as well. Given they appear almost as dark as black shell, they work fine with that. (I believe you've seen pictures of the colour of the navy blue shell. Correct me if I am wrong.)

As for the blue suede shoes, I've worn them mostly for fun. I literally bought them because I am a NY Yankees fan. I'll be switching out the laces to blue again and then think of some coherent outfits to go with them. Likely, with the brown courdoroys and some sort of jacket or overcoat.

Last edited:

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to discuss this stuff without photos. Do you mean like this?

View attachment 1690927

sorry. Let me make sure I get this right: mister “you need to consider the whole outfit and don’t obsess about just shoes or any other item” can’t imagine what an outfit with dark brown flannels, an obcd and a pair of nice navy shoes looks like? The picture above is just trolling and I’m sure you know that…

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sorry. Let me make sure I get this right: mister “you need to consider the whole outfit and don’t obsess about just shoes or any other item” can’t imagine what an outfit with dark brown flannels, an obcd and a pair of nice navy shoes looks like? The picture above is just trolling and I’m sure you know that…

I genuinely wasn't trolling. I wasn't sure what you were saying because you just said "dark brown flannel or cord pants. Add a sweater or shirt on top." So I tried to get an outfit to see what you meant. "Add a sweater or shirt on top" can mean anything. Don't know if you mean "wear an OCBD" because your choice in shoes is already so non-traditional to me.

an outfit with dark brown flannels, an obcd and a pair of nice navy shoes looks like?

This doesn't sound like a good outfit to me. So when you say, "how hard can this be to imagine," I can imagine it and it doesn't look good. This is why I said it's helpful to have photos.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I genuinely wasn't trolling. I wasn't sure what you were saying because you just said "dark brown flannel or cord pants. Add a sweater or shirt on top." So I tried to get an outfit to see what you meant. "Add a sweater or shirt on top" can mean anything. Don't know if you mean "wear an OCBD" because your choice in shoes is already so non-traditional to me.

This doesn't sound like a good outfit to me. So when you say, "how hard can this be to imagine," I can imagine it and it doesn't look good. This is why I said it's helpful to have photos.

I am genuinely curious - you don’t like:

-dark brown cords or flannels period?
-a obcd on top of dark brown cords or flannels?
-or you just don’t like it with navy shoes? (Note: I didn’t specify oxfords)

if it’s not just the shoes, how would you style pants like that?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am genuinely curious - you don’t like:

-dark brown cords or flannels period?
-a obcd on top of dark brown cords or flannels?
-or you just don’t like it with navy shoes? (Note: I didn’t specify oxfords)

if it’s not just the shoes, how would you style pants like that?

I'm not really crazy about the outfit you described. I wouldn't do brown flannels in the first place. But let's say brown cords.

If we're talking about a pair of brown corduroy trousers (let's say tailored trousers of five-pocket cords) and a light blue oxford cloth button-down, then I think you need something else to finish the outfit. Even without talking about the shoes, these two things come too close to business casual for me. It's ... fine. But nothing really great.

I think outfits typically need some kind of finishing piece, such as a jacket. In the business casual thread, I suggested maybe going down to a textured sweater (here, I would do a Shetland to keep with a trad look). But even then, I would prefer the many other options above that "sweater option." I would do a sport coat before I did a sweater.

So then, let's say

- Brown corduroy trousers
- Light blue OCBD
- Ideally, a sport coat, if you can. If not, then a textured sweater, such as Shetland

Then for shoes, I would do a brown penny loafer, again to keep with the trad theme. You can also do brown grained or suede chukkas to keep with the fall outfit. Would not do blue shoes, as those don't make sense to me in the outfit. Blue shoes are not trad or autumnal or anything. When paired with just brown cords + dress shirt, it's also very close to the modern business casual vibe that I think looks bad.

Channel this vibe:

tumblr_nelcfyT70V1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_nvp2deKvqg1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mcu0e7d5qR1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_nxpo8iZzpQ1qa2j8co2_500.jpeg
c9.jpeg
tumblr_nvnzhslesh1r1mdsgo1_1280.jpeg
c10.jpeg

Avoid this vibe:

bc.jpeg

But, as you said, some people don't want to follow "my rules" (they are not "my" rules, but anyway). And they don't want to look like they're in historical cosplay (I don't think it's cosplay, but anyway). Or they just want to have fun and not be bothered by anyone (I think they would be better off spending money *and* looking good; I don't think having fun and dressing cohesively are mutually exclusive). Or they feel like they will stand out in "old CM" (I don't, but anyway).

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really crazy about the outfit you described. I wouldn't do brown flannels in the first place. But let's say brown cords.

If we're talking about a pair of brown corduroy trousers (let's say tailored trousers of five-pocket cords) and a light blue oxford cloth button-down, then I think you need something else to finish the outfit. Even without talking about the shoes, these two things come too close to business casual for me. It's ... fine. But nothing really great.

I think outfits typically need some kind of finishing piece, such as a jacket. In the business casual thread, I suggested maybe going down to a textured sweater (here, I would do a Shetland to keep with a trad look). But even then, I would prefer the many other options above that "sweater option." I would do a sport coat before I did a sweater.

So then, let's say

- Brown corduroy trousers
- Light blue OCBD
- Ideally, a sport coat, if you can. If not, then a textured sweater, such as Shetland

Then for shoes, I would do a brown penny loafer, again to keep with the trad theme. You can also do brown grained or suede chukkas to keep with the fall outfit. Would not do blue shoes, as those don't make sense to me in the outfit. Blue shoes are not trad or autumnal or anything. When paired with just brown cords + dress shirt, it's also very close to the modern business casual vibe that I think looks bad.

Channel this vibe:

View attachment 1691008 View attachment 1691007 View attachment 1691010 View attachment 1691011 View attachment 1691012 View attachment 1691013 View attachment 1691014

Avoid this vibe:

View attachment 1691015

But, as you said, some people don't want to follow "my rules" (they are not "my" rules, but anyway). And they don't want to look like they're in historical cosplay (I don't think it's cosplay, but anyway). Or they just want to have fun and not be bothered by anyone (I think they would be better off spending money *and* looking good; I don't think having fun and dressing cohesively are mutually exclusive). Or they feel like they will stand out in "old CM" (I don't, but anyway).

what you suggest makes sense but to me is a bit boring honestly (yet by the rules) and I personally loathe penny loafers with outfits like this. I prefer a tad bit more breaking of the rules as long as colors and textures form a coherent look.

your example of what not to do: sure, but large part is because it’s a combination of out of shape people with super boring outfits.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what you suggest makes sense but to me is a bit boring honestly (yet by the rules) and I personally loathe penny loafers with outfits like this. I prefer a tad bit more breaking of the rules as long as colors and textures form a coherent look.

your example of what not to do: sure, but large part is because it’s a combination of out of shape people with super boring outfits.

If we're talking about CM, I've always felt that the outfit is improved by incredibly small changes to the cut and silhouette. So the "boring" part goes away when the person keeps refining their silhouette. IMO, a guy can go through a ton of jackets before he finds his silhouette.

I think @acapaca said that he doesn't feel this is so, and that anyone nowadays can just go out and buy a navy sport coat. I personally don't think this is true. It took me years to find a good navy sport coat and I'm still trying to nail down my pattern.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally don't think this is true. It took me years to find a good navy sport coat and I'm still trying to nail down my pattern.

My navy sport coats and blazers are generally the garments that leave me slightly miffed. Because I've yet to reach perfection, and with navy I want perfection.

With some more aggressive cloths I've used for commissions (like houndstooth or gunclub), your eye slips off imperfections. Navy brooks no small flaws.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think @acapaca said that he doesn't feel this is so, and that anyone nowadays can just go out and buy a navy sport coat. I personally don't think this is true. It took me years to find a good navy sport coat and I'm still trying to nail down my pattern.
Different people will of course have different standards of what they find acceptable. What is it about all the ones you went through that you don't find acceptable?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads