• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oxford-Shoe-Worn-Casually Appreciation Thread

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll go so far as to conditionally allow oxfords worn casually with chinos or jeans but I’m still waiting for a decent example.

Corso-Brown-4-370x370.jpg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its funny that one side of the fence has referred to loafers as effeminate but then would like to put up suede oxfords with dark socks and denim as a good look.

To me this looks super precious. In a try hard and not good way.

Last edited:

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think its funny that one side of the fence has referred to loafers as effeminate but then would like to put up suede oxfords with dark socks and denim as a good look.

To me this looks super precious. In a try hard and not good way.

Technically I'm still on the fence (about Oxfords/Loafers with Jeans) ?

Just for balance I have referred to Loafers being slightly effeminate when worn without socks and exposed ankles or if they are in a garish Leopard print

I have also posted a video of Loafers being used for high performance driving and complimented another member on his Loafers (with socks) and mentioned that I think the British Mods can wear them and look cool!!!

I just don't think Oxfords (too formal) or Loafers (not rugged enough) pair particularly well with Jeans. Boots are always the better option with Denim!!

I haven't seen a good enough picture of either combo to convince me otherwise just yet

I think both however look better with tailored trousers or possibly even Chinos ?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically I'm still on the fence (about Oxfords/Loafers with Jeans) ?

Just for balance I have referred to Loafers being slightly effeminate when worn without socks and exposed ankles or if they are in a garish Leopard print

I have also posted a video of Loafers being used for high performance driving and complimented another member on his Loafers (with socks) and mentioned that I think the British Mods can wear them and look cool!!!

I just don't think Oxfords (too formal) or Loafers (not rugged enough) pair particularly well with Jeans. Boots are always the better option with Denim!!

I haven't seen a good enough picture of either combo to convince me otherwise just yet

I think both however look better with tailored trousers or possibly even Chinos ?

I generally prefer derbies,derby boots, or chukkas with denim, yes. I wore denim yesterday with Conistons and find it to be very natural.

I'm not a huge fan of loafers with denim either, but it'd worlds better than oxfords with denim.

I woul

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally prefer derbies,derby boots, or chukkas with denim, yes. I wore denim yesterday with Conistons and find it to be very natural.

I'm not a huge fan of loafers with denim either, but it'd worlds better than oxfords with denim.

I woul

Boots for dressing up Denim Jeans with a collar and Jacket

Canvas Sneakers for dressing them down with a T Shirt

Loafers and Jeans make zero sense to me, heavy work pants with dainty shoes and no socks, what exactly is that communicating??

Çowboy with Hot Feet??

Oxfords and Jeans surely you have pulled your pants on first before you decide which shoes to put on, it comes off a bit strange??

I only have one pair of shoes, for every occasion??

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk. Slip on are pretty good with denim for easy going days. I'll put on a pair of bit loafers or drivers with denim.

I wouldn't wear penny or tassel loafers with denim.

Last edited:

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idk. Slip on are pretty good with denim for easy going days. I'll out on a pair of bit loafers or drivers with denim.

I wouldn't wear penny or tassel loafers with denim.

Easy going Jeans day for me would be Clarks Desert Boots or Superga sneakers

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The funny thing is, there's nothing more cis-hetero nowadays than a man wearing loafers. If you want to advertise yourself as conforming to gender roles as a man, you wear slim-fit navy chinos with tan pointy loafers (or Allen Edmonds Strands). If you want to advertise yourself as open to gender-bending, you wear big chunky boots and Carhartt.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is, there's nothing more cis-hetero nowadays than a man wearing loafers. If you want to advertise yourself as conforming to gender roles as a man, you wear slim-fit navy chinos with tan pointy loafers (or Allen Edmonds Strands). If you want to advertise yourself as being gender-bending, you wear big chunky boots and Carhartt.

That particular pseudo-science hasn't quite arrived In Yorkshire yet ?

Give it another 15 years and it will creep it's way up from London ?

Last edited:

Stylewords

Reaction score
I would agree that oxfords and loafers generally don't look right with jeans. The former seem just a little too formal and the latter a little too dainty to work well with denim.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree that oxfords and loafers generally don't look right with jeans. The former seem just a little too formal and the latter a little too dainty to work well with denim.
With most of these outfits, someone could always drop by and make a reasonable case that the outfit 'would look better with twills', like maybe a sweet cavalry twill or whipcord or moleskin even.

You don't often hear someone make that case, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads