• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oxford-Shoe-Worn-Casually Appreciation Thread

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't really referring to her career trajectory, but social mores and the whole 'pulling it off' kind of thing. Publishing fortunes and modeling might make her famous, but that's not why she was invited to Princess Eugenie's wedding.

Your reasoning makes no sense. A quick google search for attendees and using your logic would mean that Jack Whitehall, Kate Moss, Stephen Fry, and Naomi Campbell, Liv Tyler, and Ricky Martin must all be descendants of the peerage. (Hint, they aren't).

She was invited because she's rich and famous. Her family are socialites, but this has much more to do with wealth than any sort of peerage association.

Princess Eugenie is a great example. If she wore what Cara wore anywhere she would get major grief. 1) because she's an actual member of the high peerage and it would be frowned on and 2) because she is significantly less good looking.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your reasoning makes no sense. A quick google search for attendees and using your logic would mean that Jack Whitehall, Kate Moss, Stephen Fry, and Naomi Campbell, Liv Tyler, and Ricky Martin must all be descendants of the peerage. (Hint, they aren't).

She was invited because she's rich and famous. Her family are socialites, but this has much more to do with wealth than any sort of peerage association.

Princess Eugenie is a great example. If she wore what Cara wore anywhere she would get major grief. 1) because she's an actual member of the high peerage and it would be frowned on and 2) because she is significantly less good looking.

Princess Eugenie is way more attractive than Cara Delevigne, man.

But agreed she'd get grief due to her position in the royal family.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? If that's your opinion, more power to you. I don't think most people would agree. Eugenie isn't bad looking, but....I mean....
1634527633330.png

1634527739724.png

If you are responding to when Cara Delevingne wears crazy ass **** like...
1634527828923.png

I don't dig that kind of stuff personally.

But still think on spec she's more attractive.

But I've always liked thin women.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? If that's your opinion, more power to you. I don't think most people would agree. Eugenie isn't bad looking, but....I mean....
View attachment 1687409
View attachment 1687410

View attachment 1687411

I find Cara Delevigne to look like an anorexic pit viper with the body of an 11 year old boy.

But then again, this is all a matter of taste.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I didn't say that only members of the peerage were invited. She was invited because she was personal friends with the bride and groom. Sure, her fame might have helped in that regard, but it's not like royalty is inviting anyone over a certain level of capital either. The class system doesn't work like that.

Princesses aren't really a good example though, because they're like the Clintons (to use an American example): always forced to keep up appearances for political expediency. Their lives are actually quite constrained compared to the rest of the aristocracy. Most of those are just as eccentric/weird/normal as anyone else.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1687409
View attachment 1687410

View attachment 1687411

I find Cara Delevigne to look like an anorexic pit viper with the body of an 11 year old boy.

Sorry, but I have to agree with @ValidusLA on this one. Cara Delevingne - much more attractive, maybe more crazy.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Everyone entitled to their tastes, but this comes down to relativism again. Considering Cara Delevigne is paid to be the face of Burberry, Chanel, and DKNY, and has a book about her subtitled "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World." (I find that absurd, but once again - talking general opinions), I would place a heavy bet on most people finding her to be attractive in a birds-eye view objective sense.

Princesses aren't really a good example though, because they're like the Clintons (to use an American example): always forced to keep up appearances for political expediency. Their lives are actually quite constrained compared to the rest of the aristocracy

That's 100% true.

But I responded to your earlier assertion that Cara Delevigne has gotten where she is because of her 4th generation connection to a minor peer. This is silly.

Her family is rich and connected, and has stayed that way with 2nd tier Royals because of wealth and priviledge mostly afforded through publishing, not from connection to a title over a century ago.

There are thousands of women descended from higher titles and more recently. These women are not cover models. In fact, you'd have a hard time finding their names w/o serious digging, because they are effectively nobody.

20th/21st century connection to media and money along with (what most would consider) good looks have gotten her where she is.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone entitled to their tastes, but this comes down to relativism again. Considering Cara Delevigne is paid to be the face of Burberry, Chanel, and DKNY, and has a book about her subtitled "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World." (I find that absurd, but once again - talking general opinions), I would place a heavy bet on most people finding her to be attractive in a birds-eye view objective sense.

That's 100% true.

But I responded to your earlier assertion that Cara Delevigne has gotten where she is because of her 4th generation connection to a minor peer. This is silly.

Her family is rich and connected, and has stayed that way with 2nd tier Royals because of wealth and priviledge mostly afforded through publishing, not from connection to a title over a century ago.

There are thousands of women descended from higher titles and more recently. These women are not cover models. In fact, you'd have a hard time finding their names w/o serious digging, because they are effectively nobody.

20th/21st century connection to media and money along with (what most would consider) good looks have gotten her where she is.

Well, hang on - I never said that she got to where she is in her career because of any connection with the nobility (silly or not). I said that those connections probably had something to do with her getting away with such a unorthodox outfit at the wedding of a princess, that's all.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, hang on - I never said that she got to where she is in her career because of any connection with the nobility (silly or not). I said that those connections probably had something to do with her getting away with such a unorthodox outfit at the wedding of a princess, that's all.

Transitive. She got away w/ the look because she's rich, famous, and known for crazy looks.
1634529963602.png

If any of Eugenie's Ferguson or Mountbatten relatives had shown up like that it would have been scandalous (leaving out Windsors who obviously have rules to follow - though that doesn't stop Harry from wearing ****** J Crew suits).

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Transitive. She got away w/ the look because she's rich, famous, and known for crazy looks.

If any of her Ferguson or Mountbatten relatives had shown up like that it would have been scandalous (leaving out Windsors who obviously have rules to follow - though that doesn't stop Harry from wearing ****** J Crew suits).

Maybe so. I'll have to ask the next time I see her. ;)

I wonder what would have happened if she showed up in casual oxfords, though?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe so. I'll have to ask the next time I see her. ;)

I wonder what would have happened if she showed up in casual oxfords, though?

Well if by casual oxfords you mean some bi-colored suede with denim?

Nothing! As established, beautiful, connected people can evince all sorts of tragically bad taste. And people on the internet will applaud them for it!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if by casual oxfords you mean some bi-colored suede with denim?

Nothing! As established, beautiful, connected people can evince all sorts of tragically bad taste. And people on the internet will applaud them for it!

I beg to differ, as I have suffered no applause from the internets thus far. And heaven knows I'm beautiful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads