• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oxford-Shoe-Worn-Casually Appreciation Thread

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I had a girl in college tell me once that she decided to hook up with me because I was wearing a Goofy tie (the Disney character). I don't think we should be so quick to discount seemingly strange factors.

Before we all start wearing stupid ties, please confirm that you are not in fact ridiculously good looking and sporting a massive chocolate-covered penis that ejaculates money.

I heard from George Jr. that some men only get a beautiful wife so they can buy Cleverley shoes.

No no no, the beautiful wife is so that you can have someone lovely to spend Easter with. The shoes are just a $13,000 way to make your fiance cry, if you're that poor bastard from a few months ago.

Where's that kid whose parents are buying him the $18,000 vicuna suit? He should know about this.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before we all start wearing stupid ties, please confirm that you are not in fact ridiculously good looking and sporting a massive chocolate-covered penis that ejaculates money.

No no no, the beautiful wife is so that you can have someone lovely to spend Easter with. The shoes are just a $13,000 way to make your fiance cry, if you're that poor bastard from a few months ago.

Where's that kid whose parents are buying him the $18,000 vicuna suit? He should know about this.

I believe there was some talk years ago about Cleverley only taking bespoke clients if their wives were beautiful enough.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would derbies be better with this outfit? Yes
Do I still think I look okay in this pic? Also yes
Maybe not what you would call "casual" but it is oxfords without wearing a suit :eek:

Also non-intended sprezz with one flap tucked in and the other on not.
IMG_2774.jpeg

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The outfits DWW posted look rooted and confident, if maybe boring. Those dudes don't need to impress. The outfits NA posted look studied and insecure, if maybe "edgy"(?). Especially that last one-- the boy clinging to his school clothes. It feels like he's trying really hard to look like a "cool guy", but the idea here of cool guy is a fucken rich kid from a boarding school? wha? That might literally be the least cool type of thing there is.

And that Richard Anderson outfit is whatever and you all know it. meh at best.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I'm not sure where this idea came from that women like men who wear tight clothes. The first thing women I've dated comment on is a man wearing pants too short and/or too tight. I think there's a causation/correlation issue going on here. Men who wear cropped, tight pants tend to be young, fashion-conscious men--even if they get their style cues from GQ or instagram influencers or wherever; young men who put any effort into their appearance tend to get laid more than those that don't. It doesn't mean the same women who hook up with these men aren't still making fun of their overly tight pants behind their backs.

I tend to steer clear of taste comments but this all day long. I have seen guys who look really well-dressed in a tight fitting polo shirt because he has the body to pull it off. I have never ever seen a guy in tight pants, regardless of physique, who didn't elicit snickers and laughs from both sexes. I just don't get it but hey, most people I know would never understood spending $300 on shoes, let alone $1k. To each his own.

Reaction score
I might be pilloried by this community for the cut of my pants, but I own a pair of suede Allen Edmonds brogues that I’m fond of wearing with denim occasionally, but more often at work with chinos or slim-fitting narrow-wale corduroys. Here I am a few weeks ago with some navy chinos.

Happy to hear recommended footwear alternatives.

48F55BD2-0240-4088-9926-56673778AD7F.jpeg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The outfits DWW posted look rooted and confident, if maybe boring. Those dudes don't need to impress. The outfits NA posted look studied and insecure, if maybe "edgy"(?). Especially that last one-- the boy clinging to his school clothes. It feels like he's trying really hard to look like a "cool guy", but the idea here of cool guy is a fucken rich kid from a boarding school? wha? That might literally be the least cool type of thing there is.

And that Richard Anderson outfit is whatever and you all know it. meh at best.

Leaving aside the fact that I disagree (how exactly does one look 'rooted,' anyway?), I should like to hear how those outfits are any better as a result of not including oxfords.

These threads always seem to devolve into a 'post the most coherenty outfit' type of thing, but that's useless because everyone is going to differ on taste.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rooted in practicality, in real life, in genuine confidence. They don't look like costumes. These threads don't devolve into "most coherenty outfit". They head that way after you post pictures of try-hard outfits that look like they're from paparazzi or department store catalogs, and then everyone has to try to explain to you how and why those clothes look overwrought and bad. It's not a conspiracy to promote boring clothes.

It's true that everyone is going to have different taste, but yours seems to come from a place of status/class signalling, and the clothes you post here reflect that kind of attitude. I think that's what people are picking up on when discussion goes in the direction of more coherenty outfits. I don't know how "douchey" translates to others, but the outfits you post are quintessentially douchey to me. If someone asked me what that meant, I might say "bragging about ********** and being good at sports on an internet forum", and then I'd show them those pictures you posted upthread.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rooted in practicality, in real life, in genuine confidence. They don't look like costumes.

This is a costume?

1684216-09cc99e7ac3bd18d8d6943e26e651bcf.jpg

These threads don't devolve into "most coherenty outfit". They head that way after you post pictures of try-hard outfits that look like they're from paparazzi or department store catalogs, and then everyone has to try to explain to you how and why those clothes look overwrought and bad. It's not a conspiracy to promote boring clothes.

The point is that the thread is about oxfords worn casually, not whether a jacket is too small.

How is it so difficult to understand that the overall aesthetic point of an outfit matters more than the sum of its parts? Just because I post a picture to make point doesn't mean that I endorse the outfit 100%. Unlike some, I don't place that much value on a few photos.

It's true that everyone is going to have different taste, but yours seems to come from a place of status/class signalling, and the clothes you post here reflect that kind of attitude. I think that's what people are picking up on when discussion goes in the direction of more coherenty outfits.

Let's not confuse what someone is (apparently) doing in a photo with what I myself do.

My own clothing tastes, the way I dress, is not particularly flashy. I get inspiration from other outfits, sure, but I don't slavishly copy them down to the last detail. If clothes that fit well and are visibly high quality are a form of status signalling, then fine.

I don't know how "douchey" translates to others, but the outfits you post are quintessentially douchey to me. If someone asked me what that meant, I might say "bragging about ********** and being good at sports on an internet forum", and then I'd show them those pictures you posted upthread.

The poster I was responding to in the reply you are referencing had asked me what I was doing when I was 17. I answered honestly:

Banging 20-year-olds, competing in national athletics, and generally enjoying life.

If that makes me a douche, then I'll take it

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads