• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oxford-Shoe-Worn-Casually Appreciation Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He's not middle-aged.

I have no idea when that photo was taken, but it looks like a rip from a 2010 GQ magazine. The outfit is awful. But in any case, if a young person today wants to dress in a way that attracts other people in his age group, he should not be wearing slim fit clothing anyways.

There was a whole series of viral videos on TikTok about how Gen Z thinks skinny jeans are for middle-aged people (Millennials), and that cool people wear looser fits now.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it was not clear, my point was that I don't think wearing oxfords has much of an impact, if any, on the stated goal of getting laid, and therefore that should be probably discounted from the "valid reasons to wear oxfords over other shoes".
But also; likewise discounted from the "valid reasons not to wear oxfords casually."

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But also; likewise discounted from the "valid reasons not to wear oxfords casually."

I don't think anyone from the "non-oxfords with everything" camp has been making arguments arguing for how to get with 18-25 year old.

That seems to be the interest set of the tight pants crew.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a girl in college tell me once that she decided to hook up with me because I was wearing a Goofy tie (the Disney character). I don't think we should be so quick to discount seemingly strange factors.
This reminds me of Mickey Mouse's testimony in divorce court.
"No, your honor, I didn't say Minnie's crazy, I said she's f*kin' Goofy."

Last edited:

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a whole series of viral videos on TikTok about how Gen Z thinks skinny jeans are for middle-aged people (Millennials), and that cool people wear looser fits now.
Well, we're all cool people here, now aren't we!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I miss this pair of Vans I used to own. Vans are technically an oxford style sneaker in terms of lacing, but these ones sure did service me well in most casual outfits.

qerpen8rosjkmhzl1srj.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, we're all cool people here, now aren't we!

I don't dress like someone from Gen Z because that's not my generation. I was only commenting on how someone of that age group would not wear skinny jeans nowadays because that's not what's considered "cool."

Speaking of women and shoes, I spoke to Emiko earlier this week. She used to be the lastmaker at Foster. I asked her how has the West End changed in her 20+ years in the industry. She said that nowadays, people are creating shoes that she feels are "nonsense" (her word). Her examples: fiddleback waists on casual shoes, and certain shoes sewn at a finer stich-per-inch count. She said that she thinks this stuff is made to sell shoes because it catches people's attention and shows off the supposed "virtuosity" of the shoemaker. In her words, she feels this is not "gentlemen's style."

apShepard

Reaction score
He's not middle-aged.

I think the point is that if you are middle aged you would look stupid trying to replicate that look. And more often than not people who get into shoe culture, or into this kind of instagram CM look are middle aged, not gen z or young millenials.

This sort of thing also doesn't help either

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the point is that if you are middle aged you would look stupid trying to replicate that look. And more often then not people who get into shoe culture, or into this kind of instagram CM look are middle aged, not gen z or young millenials.

Ah yes, as long as you wear bi-material tone on tone spectators with your denim, you too can one day live in a villa and sip champagne in your Canadian tuxedo.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the point is that if you are middle aged you would look stupid trying to replicate that look. And more often then not people who get into shoe culture, or into this kind of instagram CM look are middle aged, not gen z or young millenials.

I went on a long bike ride this past Saturday and treated myself to a light brunch at the Dubliner, a nice Irish Pub here in DC close to Union Station. Sitting outside as I was grungy from riding and the pandemic is still on, there was a table of folks eating and waiting for the train to NYC. I think they were authors/publishing industry types based on their very loud Mimosa-fueled conversation. One guy was around 60, fit, swept back gray hair, wearing sort-of-slim jeans and a gray herringbone sport coat with button down shirt. He was dressed young but looked pretty decent actually.

That is all.

Last edited:

Mirage-

Reaction score
I’m so glad I finally have a reason to share this:

A TikToker posted a video rating men’s shoes and how attractive they are. She rated “brown oxfords”—with the example below—a “20 out of 10” because it can be dressed up or down and “looks just as good with chinos as jeans.”

View attachment 1684555

It’s just perfect. Trolling the “oxfords only with suits” and “wearing oxfords casually will get you laid” groups.
Perfect indeed. And yes, my girlfriend did not know the difference either - prior to spending time with me, obviously.
Thankfully, she knows no fireman - not that I know of anyway...

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea when that photo was taken, but it looks like a rip from a 2010 GQ magazine. The outfit is awful. But in any case, if a young person today wants to dress in a way that attracts other people in his age group, he should not be wearing slim fit clothing anyways.

I hardly think that TikTok-using high schoolers are a demographic that counts.

Considering the fact that people their age are getting laid less frequently these days than ever, you'll excuse me if I choose not to drown an 11-inch drop and sensational legs in puddles of cheap clothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads