• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

Old Red

Reaction score
While on the subject of belts is this some sort of working martingale?
700.jpeg

deepocean80

Reaction score
I am looking for a double breasted overcoat(ideally navy blue), cavour has sold out of the one I was particularly interested in. Any chance someone here is planning on parting with theirs or has a recommendation for one at a similar price point with similar proportions. I keep finding them in very slim cuts(suitsupply) or with lapels that are too small(spier). Ideally roomy enough in the arms to be able to layer. I am a 44. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 4D6AADC6-B1DC-4F49-AA16-EBB72A37ECBF.png
    4D6AADC6-B1DC-4F49-AA16-EBB72A37ECBF.png
    462.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 69683108-962F-4092-899C-4C8CFD28F9F2.png
    69683108-962F-4092-899C-4C8CFD28F9F2.png
    378.6 KB · Views: 274

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a double breasted overcoat(ideally navy blue), cavour has sold out of the one I was particularly interested in. Any chance someone here is planning on parting with theirs or has a recommendation for one at a similar price point with similar proportions. I keep finding them in very slim cuts(suitsupply) or with lapels that are too small(spier). Ideally roomy enough in the arms to be able to layer. I am a 44. Thank you in advance.

A tad too short but pretty nice, that overcoat.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As usual, the place to look is O'Connells, a place where slim-cut goes to die.

They also offer a classical double-breasted overcoat in dark gray.
Perhaps they can order one in Navy Blue.

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about this as I think about ordering my first bespoke overcoat. What are people’s ideal overcoat wardrobe?

We were having this discussion on the double breasted thread, where I considered my would be:
1. Db navy peak lapel (chesterfield?)
2. Tweed Ulster (gray tweed, maybe herringbone or donegal)
3. Camelhair polo coat

All db. Then maybe 4th, a sb raglan coat.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's outstanding. What cloth did you use?

BomTrady

Reaction score
That's outstanding. What cloth did you use?
Thank you. I am so embarrased...I dont know. I chose a fabric at the first fitting and Liverano called later that week saying they didnt have it and I told them to just pick something. But I will find out and send you a DM. It's the pefect weight though, not too heavy not to light.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about this as I think about ordering my first bespoke overcoat. What are people’s ideal overcoat wardrobe?

We were having this discussion on the double breasted thread, where I considered my would be:
3. Camelhair polo coat

Tbh, I don't think it's worth it for a bespoke overcoat unless there's a particular fabric you're after.

The overall look and silhouette doesn't have as much play as RTW vs. Bespoke sports coats.

A coat's silhouette is naturally longer and more square with overlapping quarters. Bespoke overcoats tend to look more snug and constricted, I think overcoats look better when they're almost too big.

I'm already at my ideal coat wardrobe and live in a very cold climate.

1- Dusty navy single breasted alpaca coat, peak lapels, patch pockets
2- Mottled charcoal raglan tweed coat
3- Giant PoW check raglan tweed coat
4- Camel polo coat
5- Grey patchwork corduroy raglan coat.

13.characters

Reaction score
How are you finding new seasonal Berg & Berg spring coats?

Attachments

• Berg_BergNelsonCream_2880x3998_crop_center_1.jpg
    Berg_BergNelsonCream_2880x3998_crop_center_1.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Berg_BergNelsonNavy_2880x3998_crop_center_1.jpg
    Berg_BergNelsonNavy_2880x3998_crop_center_1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Berg_BergNelsonOlive_2880x3998_crop_center_1.jpg
    Berg_BergNelsonOlive_2880x3998_crop_center_1.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Berg_BergNelsonOrange_2880x3998_crop_center_1.jpg
    Berg_BergNelsonOrange_2880x3998_crop_center_1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 138
  • ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg (2).jpg
    ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg (2).jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 168

BomTrady

Reaction score
Tbh, I don't think it's worth it for a bespoke overcoat unless there's a particular fabric you're after.

The overall look and silhouette doesn't have as much play as RTW vs. Bespoke sports coats.

A coat's silhouette is naturally longer and more square with overlapping quarters. Bespoke overcoats tend to look more snug and constricted, I think overcoats look better when they're almost too big.

I'm already at my ideal coat wardrobe and live in a very cold climate.

1- Dusty navy single breasted alpaca coat, peak lapels, patch pockets
2- Mottled charcoal raglan tweed coat
3- Giant PoW check raglan tweed coat
4- Camel polo coat
5- Grey patchwork corduroy raglan coat.
If you want a bespoke overcoat, why not have one and a rtw one too if you want? I mean, you can always use many different kinds of overcoats, different weights, fits, fabrics, construction, loose, snug, short, long, different levels of formality, etc. The weather comes in infinite temperatures and climates, and life brings us to infinite occasions, so it can be practical to have more than one and no need to restrict yourself to any one kind. I guess I am saying, I don't see the point in restricting your coat collection around a rigid philosophy.

BomTrady

Reaction score
Looks great! Congratulations. Is there any advice that you would give someone contemplating this same commission?
Thanks, it really is a great piece. They did a great job. I suppose I would say, be prepared to wait. I think they are quoting something like a two-year wait now. But they, and the Armoury team, are experts. So, you can sort of sit back and let them drive. Besides the wait, it was a seamless process. I am not even sure I said anything at any of the fittings after selecting the fabric.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3. Camelhair polo coat

Plus a DB British Warm in "PinK". See the coat on Field Marshal Montgomery
above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads