• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not for Toronto. Winter in Italy is much warmer than you
are used to. You could call e Haberdasher for the weight. Since
you are in Toronto you should check out O'Connells in nearby
Buffalo. They have a huge selection of traditional outerwear.
They'll also give you info over the phone. Here's a heavy
example:

maebach

Reaction score
Probably not for Toronto. Winter in Italy is much warmer than you
are used to. You could call e Haberdasher for the weight. Since
you are in Toronto you should check out O'Connells in nearby
Buffalo. They have a huge selection of traditional outerwear.
They'll also give you info over the phone. Here's a heavy
example:

Awesome, thanks! Didnt know of this place.

What weight would you recommend? Like 1-2 lbs?

Last edited:

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fabric weight is usually expressed as grams per square meter or ounces per square yard.

I think melton wool is great for very cold weather. It's windproof and will keep you warm, but is very heavy. An alternative would be an overcoat made from a lighter fabric, but lined with an insulating material, either synthetic or down. A removable liner could be a good idea if you want to wear the same coat in fall, winter and spring.

I prefer a coat with a high buttoning point and a collar that can be worn up. Otherwise, you only have a scarf to keep your neck and upper chest warm.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
What Loro Piana is offering is essentially a rip-off of the traditional Loden Coat
which are not cashmere as far as I know, but a tightly woven water repellant wool.
There are many makers. Here's one:

I personally wouldn't call it a rip-off to be fair, it blends styles and features of many different coat styles in one sleek design. As you have mentioned, Loden coats are called like that due to the material "loden wool" being used, it doesn't actually refer to a specific style.

I do see your point though that many loden coats nowadays are offered in a full buttoned overcoat in a boxy/roomy cut, along a full back split for better range of motion. The LP coat has the full back split but that's where the resemblance stops imo. The LP one is very different in cut, it has chesterfield / modern single breasted coat cut, but with high button stance up till the neck and it's not fully buttoned but half buttoned. This feature is often seen on Balmacaan coats and car coats and hunting coats. Yet balmacaan coats have raglan sleeves with again a much boxier cut, whereas LP has no raglan sleeves and much slimmer cut ,car coats are much shorter in length and hunting coats are often with patch pockets and non-flappable neck.

With that said, I think it takes elements from all types of coats and it's hard to pinpoint this specific style.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Ah thanks a Loden coat I'd exactly what I want then. And agreed the prices are insane, I'm happy for a good quality fabric at a much more reasonable price.

I thought 100% cashmere is similar to upkeep to wool or wool-cashmere blends, just a little harder. Is it really way tougher? (I'm new to this whole space)

Unless you go for Storm System treated fabrics, 100% cashmere or a high % blend of it, is not ideal for a coat in heavy winter weather. Even with storm system, it's just water resistant and not waterproof. It's hard, time consuming and expensive to maintain compared to wool if you plan on heavy duty use.

In fact, the people who wear LP coats are people who just need a warm coat and look sleek (read: posh), but they don't do outdoor activities with these coats in heavy winter. Put in another way: people who wear LP coats are the ones who hang out at apres-skis and you probably won't spot them at the ski slope, at least not with their cashmere coats. You get the idea..

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As I've noted before, when I lived in Chicago one of my go to
dress coats was a 32oz British Warm. I also Had ( still have)
a very heavy Melton great coat. As was mentioned, Loden
is not that heavy but it is an extremely tight weave and practically
waterproof. With an added lining it is quite warm.

Last edited:

Wrenkin

Reaction score
As I've noted before, when I lived in Chicago one of my go to dress coats was a 32oz British Warm. I also Had ( still have) a very heavy Melton great coat. As was mentioned, Loden is not
that heavy but it is an extremely tight weave and practically waterproof. With an added lining
it is quite warm.

Second the British Warm recommendation. It's the only wool coat I own that I would wear at, say, -10C.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any pictures of that melton great coat?

Here are pics of my Invertere "Melton Monster" which I purchased around
1980 at Stuart, a long gone shop on Oak Street in Chicago. As one can see
it is a traditional trench coat, but in heavy melton:

IMG-2177.jpg

IMG-2176.jpg

IMG-2177.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. It's just a 40s California ranch house which we
renovated 10 years ago. We don't go in for sleek functional
contemporary furnishings or design.

13.characters

Reaction score
How do you guys store your heavy overcoats for spring/summer/autumn?

Is it fine to leave it hanging on a wide hanger? Or should it be folded so it won't be stretched out over time? I have a 800 gsm over the knee polo coat (heaviest I own) and wonder how to store it correctly.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My two are hung on thick wooden hangers and stored
in zippered garment bags w/ lots of cedar chips,. Every
year I sand the chips which brings out the aroma and
spray them w/ cedar spray obtainable at my local
hardware store. Bed Bath and Beyond also has the chips,
I believe. I do the same with winter weight suits/sport coats.

Last edited:

cpc

Reaction score
Hi!

Has anyone got real life photos of the Navy Donegal coat from Private White / Permanent Style?

On the official pictures the flecks seem very prominent, is that the case in real life too?

1J8A8432-PhotoMiladAbedi_2048x.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads