• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

JIMIG

Reaction score
Sure mate. I returned the jackets.

The fabric was too thin for true Scandinavian winter wear imo.

In my estimation, the coats weren't ideal for wearing a jacket under either. The shoulders weren't wide enough for the purpose rendering the jacket shoulders visible under the coat. Changing size from M to L would render the rest of the coat too big. I'm a size 40 SC/suit for reference.

Also, in real life, the collar was too small imo. But that's personal/stylistic preference and not a knock on B&B.

You should see the coats available soon if you're interested in any of them. Hope that helped.
Thanks! Based on the new look book, I think the new version may suffer some of the same issues

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Based on the new look book, I think the new version may suffer some of the same issues
Not a fan of the new coats. I don't like the hip pockets on a raglan and I prefer a belted raglan coat. I'm considering going the MTO route with Spier Mackay utilising the charcoal Magee fabric.

JIMIG

Reaction score
I'm considering getting the Anglo-Italian Martingala coat this autumn. I think it has a great cut and style overall but there is something about the lapels that is bothering me. It's a double-breasted style and yet it still has that hybrid notch/peak lapel shape. What do you guys think about that?

View attachment 1819272
View attachment 1819273
@te0o do you know roughly the length of this AI coat? How tall are you? Looks to hit you below the knees?

13.characters

Reaction score
Not a fan of the new coats. I don't like the hip pockets on a raglan and I prefer a belted raglan coat. I'm considering going the MTO route with Spier Mackay utilising the charcoal Magee fabric.
Have you taken any pictures before sending the coats back? Which colour did you like most?

St1X

Reaction score
You are from Sweden, right? You'll end up paying over 12k sek with taxes. It makes more sense to go bespoke at this price level.

13.characters

Reaction score
No pictures, sorry. I preferred the brown herringbone. The navy was too bright for my taste.
Thank you. In what size have you ordered the brown herringbone coat? Will be on the look out on when they re-stock it - doesn't look like they have yet. I usually wear knitwear more than jackets under coats, so it might work for me better.

I also like the new Nelson coat, the stitching this year is a lot better compared to the last one from what I can see from the press images. I understand how you might not like the pockets though. I'd get it, but only if they'll have it on sale. I wonder if they'll make more - seems right now there's only 1 pair for each size.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. In what size have you ordered the brown herringbone coat? Will be on the look out on when they re-stock it - doesn't look like they have yet. I usually wear knitwear more than jackets under coats, so it might work for me better.

I also like the new Nelson coat, the stitching this year is a lot better compared to the last one from what I can see from the press images. I understand how you might not like the pockets though. I'd get it, but only if they'll have it on sale. I wonder if they'll make more - seems right now there's only 1 pair for each size.
I ordered it in size M. Email them if you want. Maybe they can put it away immediately.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@te0o do you know roughly the length of this AI coat? How tall are you? Looks to hit you below the knees?
Don't like the pockets. The coat as those Italian -type pockets where the flap doesn't extend to the
end of the patch. Compare w/ Britis
I don't like the pockets. It has those Italian -type pockets where the flap
does not extend to the end of the patch. It looks inset. Compare w/ Anglo- American
pockets:

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any more thoughts on the new Berg & Berg raglan coat? 600 g. No size chart yet, but previous iteration had a nice length (116 cm). I think it looks nice, but curious to hear SF opinions
I really dig it. I think if you're wearing the coat closed and without a belt, the patch pockets help take up visual space in the expanse of fabric.

Here is an old Apparel Arts drawing, the khaki coat on the right.

upload_2017-8-28_16-10-37-png.17730

Kaptain Sunshine's Traveller Coat also has this same configuration.
1665109926129.jpeg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sipang @eazye

How much chest/shoulder measurement leeway is there for set in sleeve coats? I've one polo coat that has a 42" chest and 18.5" padded shoulders. My own chest is around 37.5", and shoulders 17".

I love the coat, it has a broad and straight silhouette, despite it feeling on the trimmer side compared to my raglans.

I'm wondering how much bigger I can go, because a lot of the coats on eBay have massive chests at 45-50" with 19" shoulders.

JIMIG

Reaction score
I really dig it. I think if you're wearing the coat closed and without a belt, the patch pockets help take up visual space in the expanse of fabric.

Here is an old Apparel Arts drawing, the khaki coat on the right.

upload_2017-8-28_16-10-37-png.17730

Kaptain Sunshine's Traveller Coat also has this same configuration.
View attachment 1840798
I also think patch pockets can look good on balmacaans.

I ordered the B&B Nelson to try. I am on the fence. I like that it is very roomy and long. I wish it was a bit heavier.

I have added some pics. The light in this elevator brightens colors and accentuates seams. So it is a dark navy with less pronounced hip pockets irl. Also: dirty mirror.

I am just wearing a shirt underneath. Looks the same with a sweater or sport coat

Feedback appreciated

Attachments

• 93F0CCB5-C45E-4EF1-9967-491FE5E9CD2B.jpeg
    93F0CCB5-C45E-4EF1-9967-491FE5E9CD2B.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 8F183128-65CD-49D2-B352-105D79B0C9F7.jpeg
    8F183128-65CD-49D2-B352-105D79B0C9F7.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 224
  • E78271D3-4D14-4F3C-B664-23026FCE9744.jpeg
    E78271D3-4D14-4F3C-B664-23026FCE9744.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 256

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think patch pockets can look good on balmacaans.

I ordered the B&B Nelson to try. I am on the fence. I like that it is very roomy and long. I wish it was a bit heavier.

I have added some pics. The light in this elevator brightens colors and accentuates seams. So it is a dark navy with less pronounced hip pockets irl. Also: dirty mirror.

I am just wearing a shirt underneath. Looks the same with a sweater or sport coat

Feedback appreciated
If you like the pockets (I do not), I think it looks great on you and you should keep it. The fit picture from the side accentuates the bell shape which I really dig.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads