• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must admit that the Die, Workwear and Menswear Musings blogs helped me appreciate balmacaans more. They have presence, without being visually overbearing. An ideal addition to my wardrobe for the brutal Northeast Winters.
Nonetheless, this obviously comes at a cost and I'm now searching for one that won't break the bank. Really digging Spier & MacKay's charcoal herringbone balmacaan from last year -- if anyone is willing to part with one in a 36R, please contact me. Otherwise my hunt continues! Will also be keeping an eye on this thread for inspiration on other contenders.
Here you go !

I have a couple of Cordings Country Shirts. They were very cheap compared to
the usual ones I wear H &K, Finamore, T & A, but decently made . This coat
seems a bargain and it comes in 36 R.
For higher end Balmacaans see:

Last edited:

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What coat is this?

Vintage Bill Blass coat I found on Etsy, lol. I don't think it was worn much if at all. Altering the hem would probably cost almost as much as I paid for it.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Thoughts on a 500g/sqm 75% wool 25% cashmere overcoat for a place with winters of 12-18 Celsius (54-64 F)? Too warm?

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Thoughts on a 500g/sqm 75% wool 25% cashmere overcoat for a place with winters of 12-18 Celsius (54-64 F)? Too warm?
I think most people on here would say that an overcoat at those temperatures is completely unnecessary. But you live in a warmer climate and your body has different preferences clearly. I guess this is all just to say that it's going to be hard for anyone on here to answer this question.

That being said, if you are concerned, just wear a style that looks good when worn open. That way if things are too warm you can just unbutton your coat.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Contrarian here. I’m for lighter weight topcoats. 54-64F temps are the highs for the day and mornings and evenings are cooler. These in between temps are hard to dress for.
If you over dress you’re too warm and too cold without a coat.
Have 3 topcoats in 13-14 ounce, 390 gram cloth that are perfect. These cloths were picked from sport coat samples not top coating sample books. They get worn more often than my heavier top coats.
In my experience a mid weight topcoat over a 10-12 ounce jacket gives enough weight/warmth if I need it. Can layer a sweater if I need more protection from cold. Can’t make a heavy topcoat wear cooler. I overheat with heavier cloths.

goalaso

Reaction score
Contrarian here. I’m for lighter weight topcoats. 54-64F temps are the highs for the day and mornings and evenings are cooler. These in between temps are hard to dress for.
If you over dress you’re too warm and too cold without a coat.
Have 3 topcoats in 13-14 ounce, 390 gram cloth that are perfect. These cloths were picked from sport coat samples not top coating sample books. They get worn more often than my heavier top coats.
In my experience a mid weight topcoat over a 10-12 ounce jacket gives enough weight/warmth if I need it. Can layer a sweater if I need more protection from cold. Can’t make a heavy topcoat wear cooler. I overheat with heavier cloths.
Do they often make overcoats this light? I love the idea, but haven't seen many like this (but I'm new to the overcoat game). Any links much appreciated

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do they often make overcoats this light? I love the idea, but haven't seen many like this (but I'm new to the overcoat game). Any links much appreciated
Do you want a RTW Topcoat or looking for cloth?

goalaso

Reaction score
Preferably RTW, but if the options are severely limited, then cloth source would be reasonable

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Preferably RTW, but if the options are severely limited, then cloth source would be reasonable
Someone else can reply who makes coats in lighter weights. I wouldn’t know

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Someone else can reply who makes coats in lighter weights. I wouldn’t know

I don't think I've seen a RTW topcoat at that weight. The only thing I can think of are those slippery, slightly tech-y raincoats you see from Italian brands such as Herno or Aspesi. But that material is not the kind of jacketing stuff that Despos is talking about.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that Bookster in the UK offer suiting weight cloths as well as cotton, tweed and coating weight cloths for their custom made overcoats. You might find something you'd like from them.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By what measure would a balmacan be considered too large? In particular a vintage piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads