• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

goalaso

Reaction score
Is that Eduardo de Simone the de Havilland camel coat (which is actually cashmere)? The sizing on the site seems to have very wide chest and very narrow shoulders. How does this actually fit? Do you take your normal size? Anything you like or don't like about it in particular? Resembles a robe coat a bit, but seems more functional..Thanks

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that Eduardo de Simone the de Havilland camel coat (which is actually cashmere)? The sizing on the site seems to have very wide chest and very narrow shoulders. How does this actually fit? Do you take your normal size? Anything you like or don't like about it in particular? Resembles a robe coat a bit, but seems more functional..Thanks
Yes, it is the de Havilland coat. And, yes, it is cashmere, according to EdS a vintage cashmere, at that.

I bought my regular size. The shoulders aren't narrow, at least they don't seem narrow to me. The body of the coat as delivered was very roomy, so much so that I decided to have it taken in about 4 inches in total. Once that was done, the coat is as you see it in my photos. I don't have any pictures of it prior to being altered. It is a double breasted front, with the buttons hidden. As it is now, there isn't anything I don't like about it. The fabric is beautiful. The feature I really like about it is that it is a decent length. It comes well below my knees, as I think it should. I'm 6' these days and it is plenty long. By contrast, The Anthology's coat in its standard configuration is too short (in my opinion), hitting at or slightly above the knee. To their credit, The Anthology offers a custom service whereby you can specify the length you want, which is what I did for mine.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Dark Green raglan sleeve balmacaan size 48

O'Connell's, Spier & Mackay MTO, Chrysalis Knightsbridge, Chrysalis Runcorn. You might want to also consider Loden coats.

Johnny80

Reaction score
Thinking for Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 08.30.41.png Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 08.30.48.png one

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a big chest so wool coats look way too bulky on me. Cashmere is warmer than wool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads