1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ovadia & Sons Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dibango, Jan 31, 2011.

1. nbernie

nbernie Senior member

Yeah, I've bought pants from them. They are outrageously priced but I've communicated extensively with them with no problem. Are you using info@ovadiaandsons.com? I've never had a problem on that front.

2. Getzione

Getzione Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with their ties?

3. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

This is from the FW 11 lookbook of Ovadia & Sons:

[​IMG]

More

The sensation around Ovadia I don't understand: it's a tightly edited Polo collection with a slightly modernized cut -- shorter coats, narrower trousers -- and some of the wider lapels that look fresh after the 60s revival cycle. So nu?

The difference this fall is the styling. Their last look book was an anonymous model in a studio, a Polo-esqe rich boy.

Ali, the model here, is the proprietor of his own styling/branding agency. He's not shaped like a runway model but he's a grown man, handsome and charismatic. Has an LA music industry background. Did production work on THE CHRONIC.

Through him, and the photography of Justin Chung, Oviadia breaks out of the bell jar of the Poloverse and into the world of urban prep, like a more tailored version of what you might get at Brooklyn Circus.

It's a neat bit of repositioning.

4. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior member

That reminds me, I need to water my pram.

[​IMG]

5. dibango

dibango Senior member

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

My snark and responses from another Ovadia thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comrade

"Trendy, costumey, dreck.
    Although this Yiddish expletive
    may be inappropriate for the probably Sephardic Ovadias."

I'm curious as to how you can judge this based on three clear look book pictures? Having seen these garments in person, I can speak for their quality and attention to detail - I think that aside from the slimness, most of it errs away from trendy (however you are defining that) and more towards classic tailoring. It just so happens that what some may deem 'trendy' in menswear these days happens to reflect a return to a more tailored style, i.e. 2 inch cuffed wool trousers, double breasted jackets, spread collars, etc. Double monks may have jumped the shark recently, but they will still be a staple footwear choice long after the (admittedly annoying) buzz dies down. The Ovadias are extremely nice and willing to chat with anyone interested in learning more about their process, history, etc. "Trendy, costumey, dreck" just seemed a bit harsh to me and I was wondering if you had actual experience dealing with the clothes yourself - I'm sure you would find something to your liking if you did.

Furthermore, If you judged all lines by their lookbooks, apparently Isaia's most recent f/w collection is for fly fishing outdoorsmen...
    http://downeastandout.tumblr.com/

Originally Posted by maineratheart

I'm curious as to how you can judge this based on three clear look book pictures? Having seen these garments in person, I can speak for their quality and attention to detail - I think that aside from the slimness, most of it errs away from trendy (however you are defining that) and more towards classic tailoring. It just so happens that what some may deem 'trendy' in menswear these days happens to reflect a return to a more tailored style, i.e. 2 inch cuffed wool trousers, double breasted jackets, spread collars, etc. Double monks may have jumped the shark recently, but they will still be a staple footwear choice long after the (admittedly annoying) buzz dies down. The Ovadias are extremely nice and willing to chat with anyone interested in learning more about their process, history, etc. "Trendy, costumey, dreck" just seemed a bit harsh to me and I was wondering if you had actual experience dealing with the clothes yourself - I'm sure you would find something to your liking if you did.

Furthermore, If you judged all lines by their lookbooks, apparently Isaia's most recent f/w collection is for fly fishing outdoorsmen...

"Your rejoinder is larded with cliches. Not a good sign. To me this collection is a caricature
    of classical clothing mediated through a Pee Wee Herman aesthetic. The models look like
    they've outgrown their garments. As for the Ovadia's interpersonal skills, that is irrelevant.
    Perhaps they might try social work." (Comrade)

Re: Isaia- I haven't bought any in five years. I don't like their recent OTR offerings

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. dallo

dallo Member

i believe the term is...dressed by the internet

8. erk

erk Senior member

Can someone please explain why it is a bad thing for one to get the majority of their ideas about dressing from the internet?

9. comrade

comrade Senior member

Your question is only valid if you do not uphold the idea of hierarchy.
    The internet dispenses with hierarchy. If one accepts this anarchy,
    then it is not a "bad thing" to accept ideas about dressing from
    this source. As for how you will look, is another discussion entirely.

10. erk

erk Senior member

Can you please elaborate on this hierarchy idea? Hierarchy of what? Lets get to the point and dispense with this profundity through ambiguity nonsense.

Regardless of where one gets their ideas, judgment still plays a role in what is actually purchased and worn. Unless there is some magic of the internet that takes away our decision making ability, I fail to grasp the mocking "dressed by the internet".

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

12. comrade

comrade Senior member

I should have said "hierarchy of taste"
    The style of the Upper Classes set the standard for taste.
    For the past two centuries or so, until maybe 30 years ago,
    mens' style in the Western World was based on what was worn
    by the English gentleman. This of course, permutated over time
    geography. The Ivy League style, for example, is derived
    from it.

13. kwv07

kwv07 Senior member

Does anyone have an exact address to their place in NYC?

14. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Their show room is 37 West 13th St, NY, NY, 10011 - Here's the e-mail: info@ovadiaandsons.com

The showroom is by appointment only i think because its all bespoke/MTM... Their RTW stuff can be found at Bloomingdales

15. captainfunk

captainfunk Senior member

Damn, what's up with the harsh indictment of Ovada gear? I find nothing too offensive about the brand. I own a shirt, and it's a serious piece clothing. I think their collection is pretty remarkable for such a young brand. Is some of their shit potentially trendy? Sure. But generally speaking they provide classic lines for a younger generation that wants a trimmer silhouette. Aint nothin wrong with that.

16. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Some of the trousers on their website were marked as having a 37" unfinished outseam. That can't possibly be right, can it?

17. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Yeah, they must mean 37" inseam.

18. LJubel328

LJubel328 Senior member

19. JawnGault

JawnGault Well-Known Member

20. LJubel328

LJubel328 Senior member

I inquired about them a few weeks ago and they said they run TTS. Their shirts are a tad slim though