1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Original Chippewa Heritage Boot Line

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by bl@ster, Feb 1, 2013.

1. matthewh

matthewh Well-Known Member

A little heel slip (for boots) is normal, especially when boots are new. Typically, as the sole breaks-in and becomes more flexible the slippage will decrease. I simply use thicker socks. Merino wool hiking socks like Smartwool or LLBean Cresta have a thickened heel and a little extra padding on the bottom. Also be sure the forefoot laces are tight enough.

2. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

3. asdsime

asdsime Active Member

I just wear mine casually in the city to go out and to work (Chippewa x J.crew service boots). I guess I won't apply anything on them till later when the leather starts to dry out a bit, although kinda worried as it is snowing a lot for the past couple weeks. When you refer to back country stuff, what do you mean? I have Obenhaufs LP, is it bad to use it on these boots? Also anyways to decrease or stop creasing on the boots?

Thanks!!

4. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

cheers. Cool, I'll keep the laces tight and wear thicker socks where possible (or as thick as my feet can handle as it gets hot here so properly thick socks are often not possible). I'll see if it improves at all over time. I tried insole but it makes it too squishy. I have heel pads that I'll try at some stage if needed. cheers mate

5. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

thanks. I'm loving them thus far. Sneaker comfortable and love the look of them. Just what I was wanting out of a boot. I kinda like them looking dusty and a bit dirty and look forward to the leather aging over time. But not drying out :)

6. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

Yeah, we have same kind of usage with boots then. I'd call it "normal" urban wear. By back country I just mean going hiking or whatever in the forest where they could get muddy, wet or covered in snow.

The only thing I'd say about "normal" urban wear is that your normal is different to mine in that you have snow! You might want to consider sno seal or obenhauf's LP then? (or at least do what chippewa recommend and spray on a suede water repellent - if that's what they recommend for your leather?). I have no experience with either snoseal or LP myself so wait for someone else's opinion on these, but reading a bit about them, it seems they will make the leather darker but I think there's no choice if you want them weather sealed for snow (so many people seems to swear by the LP stuff for sealing). I'd contact chippewa and jcrew and ask then what they recommend you do too.

No idea what will stop/decrease creasing in the boots. Strangely my right boot has creased a lot and left not really at all? (partly cause I kneed on right knee surely). I think its all just part of a leather product. I guess creases lead to cracks when dry. but I assume its all part of a boot breaking in and so long as the leathers not dry its all good. Interested in others opinion on this?

1 person likes this.
  7. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I know some guys have talked about the leather being "dry" but i don't think I've seen that to be a problem with my boots. I suppose if they sat for a couple of years in a closet somewhere...? I've mainly used boot oil after they've been severely wet or muddy and cleaned, and i feel like they need treated.

As far as Snoseal, etc, I've mainly used that when you know you will be out in wet or snow for extended periods and want to keep your feet dry. In other words, more for your feet than your boots! I feel like otherwise there is nothing wrong with getting your boots wet now and then. Most of these leathers don't need babied...

8. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

Yeah, that's my thought as well. As long as you're occasionally giving them some oil (whether from boot oil, obenauf's or sno-seal), the leather will be fine. If they get truly soaked, I'd probably spend a few moments reapplying (as water does deplete the oils in the leather).

9. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

Yeah, chippewa certainly dont think they should be babied and they would want to be on the safe side

10. rutabaga

rutabaga Senior member

Picked up the Sand Suede Service Boots for JCrew since they were clearing them out last week. I really like the look. Unfortunately the different sections have much different nap lengths, but what are you gonna do? For $160 I'm still quite pleased.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

I picked up my second pair of sand suedes (same deal as you). I'm going to dub them and use them as my work boots, along with my iron rangers.

12. rutabaga

rutabaga Senior member

Would love to see pics and details on that.

13. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

14. baxter0

baxter0 Well-Known Member

Sold out. Has anyone seen the service boot in a wide size? The chippewa site says it comes in wide but i can't find anybody that sells it.

15. seer

seer Senior member

Where I found them on line I never saw wide sizes offered. I am usually a 10E so I just got 10.5 D and they are fine. I hope that helps.

16. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

If you want it in cordovan colour, ll bean carries EE sizing. The boots are slightly different, as they have no chippewa stamp on the side(i think this is a plus), and round laces, also they're cheaper at 210$.
    http://m.llbean.com/llbean/product.html#78205

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  17. Spong

Spong Well-Known Member

Anyone know where to get the Service or Homestead boots in the UK in UK size 12 (US 12.5 I think?)

18. seer

seer Senior member

I have never seen a online UK store sell them. You could just have them shipped over, and I think you got the sizing correct.

1 person likes this.
  19. Spong

Spong Well-Known Member

Good to know about the sizing, thanks. Sadly most places I've seen them in the US won't sell internationally. I saw Schott's store will but they don't have 12.5, perhaps I could get away with the US 12 but the shipping pretty much doubles the price - if I did that I might as well get some Wolverines, Red Wings or even Oak Street Bootmakers or something, all of which appear to be more readily available over here, oddly enough.

20. seer

seer Senior member

Have you check with any of these in the link below? Click on "International"

http://www.chippewaboots.com/retailers/