1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Original Chippewa Heritage Boot Line

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by bl@ster, Feb 1, 2013.

1. CoolNickname

CoolNickname Well-Known Member

I have these in black. Hope these pictures help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a link of my experience with the brown ones. I'm not sure which ones I will keep.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/367927/are-these-defective#post_6704591

2. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

I'd be very surprised if Red Wing were using anything besides leather or fiberboard for their insoles.

3. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Still looking for the cap toe Homstead boot in Black or the Tan/Cordovan combo. All Zappos has is the two brown Homesteads, and J Crew is service boot without captoe. Any leads..?
    Thanks.

4. sensation87

sensation87 Member

I missed out on a pair of Jcrew Tan Renegades. Can anyone help a brother out on finding a pair?

5. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

Hi all,

Not sure where to post but I thought here was better than starting a new thread as its about the heritage line, although not the service boot.

I have just purchased the 6" CRAZY HORSE PLAIN TOE WEDGE (http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/original/general-utility/1901M18/ )

My question is with regard to proper care of the boot. I want to look after these boots properly and have years of life in them. How do I do this? Do I need to apply a leather conditioner? how often? I don't want to really change the colour or finish of the leather, just keep the oil in so they don't age prematurely. I seen the product Meltonian cream and Obenaufs heavy duty LP thrown around in forums (such as this) but I'm not sure if they relevant for this boot and leather type, as I remember seeing somewhere that this is to be treated like a suede.

Any info on products I should buy, how to use and how often to use them would be appreciated :) thanks guys

6. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I had an older pair of engineer boots with that leather (I think), from before they started making them for LL Bean. I wore them for probably five years with no treatment, and they slowly got darker and smoother and took on a nice patina. At some point I started using Mink Oil about once a year, and that accentuated the darkness. The boots lasted probably 10 years (with one re-heeling) before I finally started getting a split in the leather upper. But now, after 12 or so years, I still wear them for dirty work. Really great boots. Not a fancy leather, but I think it ages well with very little treatment.

I know some people say not to use Mink Oil, but I had pretty good luck with it.

7. captainfalcon

captainfalcon Senior member

I purchased a pair from Zappos a while back that i quite like at that price. They even had sundance riptide uppers which is found on some of their more expensive boots.

8. asdsime

asdsime Active Member

Anyone have pics of the J.Crew X Chippewa service boots worn and broken in? J.Crew has 30% off and not sure if $187.60 is worth ordering. Only the black one is included in the discount, the brown ones are excluded :mad:

9. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

Thanks Linafelt. Yeah, it seems minimal maintenance is required. I'll look into mink oil. cheers

10. CoolNickname

CoolNickname Well-Known Member

I use the leather dressing from here. It did not darken my boots, although I have the service boot in the cordovan color. Call this number (800) 728-0970 and ask for Kevin (owner). He is very helpful, and will tell you whether his product or another will meet your needs. Make sure to send him a link of your boots.

http://www.montanapitchblend.com/

11. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

Th
    thanks for your help & advice! Appreciate the link! I've checked out the link but I don't think they sell products for suede and I believe these boots should be treated like suede. (I've since contacted chippewa). I'm learning a bit more but it seems you don't really need to condition suede other than initial protection and cleaning as needed. I thought all leather would lose oils and need regular conditioning? Must be a diff leather to the service boot? Cheers

12. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Forgo the mink oil and buy some obenauf's LP or Montana Pitch Blend. Hell, even Sno-Seal. You want beeswax in your boot dressing.

13. Reginald Bartholomew

Reginald Bartholomew Senior member

Anyone know if the wedge sole plain toe oxfords fit the standard Chippewa sizing? I'm a 9.5 in Kathadins, should I aim for a 9.5 in these?

14. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I won't pretend to be an expert on the chemistry of boot oils, but I have used lots over the years on various boots. Obenauf's and Snoseal are pretty heavy and will darken the boot significantly right off the bat. If you plan to walk in snow or slush for hours on end day after day, then you probably want Snoseal. But for normal wear, I found yearly Mink Oil or so to work quite well with this leather. I know there are some questions about long term stitching rot or something, but I have to think that's overstated. It's what my grandfather and father used on their boots, which lasted forever. And again, my Chippewas lasted over 10 years with it.

But again, I would say not to treat them right away (unless you are headed out into some intense weather), but wear for a year or more and let the patina begin to develop naturally. The boots will look "new" for a while, but short cuts to a quick patina are to be avoided I think.

Just my experience...

15. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

Thanks Roguls, but this treatment isn't for a suede or nubuc type of leather is it? I have since contacted Chippewa themselves and they said to treat the crazy horse plain toe wedge as you would suede.

16. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

For anyone interested in what Chippewa said about how to care for the 6" CRAZY HORSE PLAIN TOE WEDGE (http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/original/general-utility/1901M18/ ) their reply is below:

"For Nubuc or nap leathers such as 1901M18, we recommend that you treat this as you would suede. Use a soft brush or dry cloth to remove the loose dirt. Then clean the boot with a cleaner recommended for suede. Also, it is recommended that this type of leather be treated with a water resisting treatment made specifically for suede".

cheers for all help and advice :)

1 person likes this.
  17. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Obenauf's and Sno-Seal will darken the leather, but will lighten over time. The treatment is called "dubbin". Both products are far superior to Mink oil and work with pretty much all leathers. Please research Crane's posts on the Wolverine 1000 Mile thread. Sno-Seal, Montana Pitch Blend and Obenauf's have anti-bacterial properties, which is key to hide health. The key is the beeswax.

18. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Active Member

Cheers Roguls! So just to confirm, do you recommend I treat these crazy horse Plain toe Chippewa's with Obenauf's heavy duty LP before I wear them even though Chippewa said to teat them like suede because they are a nubuc / nap leather? (They just arrived today). I will only wear them for street use, not in snow or mud or rain (beyond normal rain if it starts raining when I'm wearing them).

I have purchased this product (~~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/310724314161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) and was assuming just to use the water repellent on them only.

I had a look at the wolverine 100 mile thread, but it seems like there's a few threads? is this the thread you are referring to? http://www.styleforum.net/t/205531/wolverine-721ltd-shell-cordovan-1000-mile-boot-review/15 I noticed Crane mentions to not use on suede though? "I use boot oil and snoseal in combination with each other. After 35 years of dealing with top grain/bridle leather and Shell Cordovan it seems this combination works the best when it comes to keeping the leather supple and water proofed. Oh and do not do this to suede!!! It will destroy it."

Thanks for your advice

19. matthewh

matthewh Well-Known Member

You may want to look thru the thread for the Katahdin Iron Works boots. (http://www.styleforum.net/t/144358/calling-all-llbean-katahdin-iron-works-boots-owners ). The Katahdins are made by Chippewa and have a similar leather. There's lots of good photos in that thread which show how the leather reacts to different treatments. Both Obenauf's LP and Sno-Seal are good products for waterproofing but they will change the look and texture of the Crazy Horse leather. Some people are ok with that. I have a pair and Katahdins and tested a small area with Obenauf's but didn't like the result. It takes away the textured look of the leather and darkens it. I've had good results using Bick 4. Its a conditioner that seems to provide a little water resistance but doesn't affect the look of the leather. My boots see mixed urban and outdoor use but no snow / backcountry stuff. My feet have stayed dry thru rain and damp conditions. The leather is not waterproof, it looks wet when it gets wet, but it dries and doesn't soak thru.