• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Original Chippewa Heritage Boot Line

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Chippewa work oxfords? Esp the ones with Christy soles?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, just thought I would contribute a little bit after having read the forum for quite some time. The styling on these Chippewa Originals particularly interested me and this thread was a key factor in my decision to purchase these boots.

It looks like a few of these can still be had at various and sundry locations on the internet. I recommend these as a solid, more budget-friendly alternative to Red Wing Iron Rangers.

My first pair was in black, size 10D and they were very tight at first. I have been wearing them for about a year now and they are loose with thin socks, perfect with heavy socks (or thin socks plus thin inserts). I am really thrilled with these!

I actually put a wax polish job on the cap toes at first for a unique dressy look, did my best at a mirror shine. More recently I stripped the wax and oiled the cap toe to match the rest.

I ordered the second pair in Crazy Horse leather and found much better price on them. Went for a 10.5, which was perfect at first but now fits well with an insert and thick socks - very comfortable. If you haven't experienced the hard insole trust me when I say that cushioned inserts will be appreciated. The leather looks much darker than the original color after using Filson's boot oil on them several times.

Please excuse the lackluster photography!

SomeJerk

Reaction score
I have a pair of service boots in tan renegade. I really love the leather patterning on them but they are bit more orange than I would like. I was thinking about putting a coat of Obenauf's on them to darken them a little. I was hoping someone who has the tan renegade and has done this could post a few pics for me. Before/after would be great but if you don't have any before pics I would be interested in just the results too.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of my six boots that are made in the USA, these may be my favorite.

matthewh

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the "Modern Suburban" chukka?

I'm mainly interested in the footbed and lining. I've read that they have a leather footbed but can't tell if its only the heel, with texon in the forefoot. I'm also curious to know if any of these Chippewa's have cork under the footbed. The Chippewa boots I have require a removable insole to be comfortable. These are also supposed to have a leather vamp lining instead of the typical cotton drill fabric.

They look like they would be a nice alternative to the Red Wing work chukka unless the quality is not the same.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Looking to buy a pair of service boots, I'm trying to decide wether to get Tan Renegade, Crazy Horse or English Tan.

It seems to me that the Crazy Horse is the darkest of the 3 and a lot of the pictures are misleading online? Does anyone have an actual pic of the English Tan?

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the Service and Homestead boots on the same last? If not, what are the differences? Thanks!

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just kopped some new Chipp's and thought I'd share some pics.

First up, the Limited Edition Oxblood Service boot. Interesting color combo with the black retro sole. Had a Doc Martens vibe:

Next are these Homestead Boots in Tan Renegade:

You'll notice that Chippewa seems to have updated their logo for this line:

I still think the old Indian Head logo was superior. Wonder why they've stayed clear of it. Political correctness?

Last edited:

perthboy

Reaction score

Just got my new everyday banger, a Suburban in tan. I couldn't resist the Zappos $232 special.

Sizing was unusual, I wear a 9 in Nike/Adidas, 8.5 D in AE but an 8 D (labelled 41.5, 26cm) in these, maybe because I only wear thin socks. The leather is soft, no break-in period required and they feel like sneakers.

matthewh

Reaction score

Just got my new everyday banger, a Suburban in tan. I couldn't resist the Zappos $232 special.

Sizing was unusual, I wear a 9 in Nike/Adidas, 8.5 D in AE but an 8 D (labelled 41.5, 26cm) in these, maybe because I only wear thin socks. The leather is soft, no break-in period required and they feel like sneakers.

So how is the footbed on these? Is there any cushioning?

I think these are nice looking chukka boots, there just isn't much information about them online anywhere.

perthboy

Reaction score

So how is the footbed on these? Is there any cushioning?

I think these are nice looking chukka boots, there just isn't much information about them online anywhere.

The insole (foot bed) is hard leather. However, the Vibram outsole has an incredible cushioning effect.

I was contemplating on the Red Wing Heritage Chukka but from reviews their outsole seems to wear out fast.

I also liked the fact that the Chippewa Suburban Chukka are slightly lighter than the Red Wing Heritage Chukka.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like that they retained a substantial, round toe for the chukka. Very nice...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads