• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Original Chippewa Heritage Boot Line

EPrest90

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I *think* RW replaces the cork filler when you send them back for a resole.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my daughter some very nice Katahdins from ebay:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, just took delivery of this Chippewa archival reissue of the 1975 Chippewa Insulated Trekker boots. They've got Horween leather, real leather insole, quilted leather lining, come with wool felt removable insoles, steel shank, and of course Made in USA. These suckers are heavy and really beefy. I've been told this style was special issue and is now discontinued but you still may be able to find a pair here or there. MSRP was $399 but I got them for $299.

Pics:

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, just took delivery of this Chippewa archival reissue of the 1975 Chippewa Insulated Trekker boots. They've got Horween leather, real leather insole, quilted leather lining, come with wool felt removable insoles, steel shank, and of course Made in USA. These suckers are heavy and really beefy. I've been told this style was special issue and is now discontinued but you still may be able to find a pair here or there. MSRP was $399 but I got them for $299.

Pics:

Dima

Reaction score
Morning, gents.
Is there a difference in size between original Chippewa and J.Crew plain-toe version? Collaborations are often somewhat smaller in my previous experience.
Wouldn't like to order wrong size and pay extra $60 for delivery :)

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Morning, gents.
Is there a difference in size between original Chippewa and J.Crew plain-toe version? Collaborations are often somewhat smaller in my previous experience.
Wouldn't like to order wrong size and pay extra $60 for delivery :)

No difference at all.

Reaction score
Hey there fellas! Just had a question about the leather of the Chippewa 6 inch service boots in cordovan. Lovely boots and they are absolutely badass. I just bought them and the left boot has a weird wrinkling/cracking on the leather. I just wanted to know if it is normal or if I should exchange them.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's totally normal. Start wearing them -- they're about to get much more wrinkled/patina'ed. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Great thank you so much. They are beautiful boots! This weekend they had them on sale for about 160 on amazon with a promo code.

Last edited:

SomeJerk

Reaction score
I just got a pair of service boots in the crazy horse coloration off of amazon. They are a LOT lighter than they looked in the pictures. I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with this particular boot can tell me if they will get darker over time or even post some pics some that have been worn in, or if I should just think about exchanging them. They look great but all the browns in my wardrobe are darker and they just don't fit in. That being said, what little info I can find, some people claim they get darker over time and I'm also reading some people claim that they age better than the other available colors. Also I don't really like any of the other available boots in their line right now. The tan renegade looks nice but I'm definitely looking to go darker. The cordovan has more red than I want and I don't like the texturing on the brown bomber. I really would like a pair of the homestead cap toe in riptide brown that they recently had but I can't find any in my size (10 D.) So right now barring someone posting some magic link to those for a good price I'm a little torn between keeping them, or possibly waiting till Chippewa releases some new colors. Can anyone tell me how often that happens or how likely they are to release something different from what's out now or is it more likely that just slightly tweak what's already available? Would waiting for a couple of months likely pay off or will I just be sitting around for months with no brown boots, only to be offered more of the same? I'm new to the whole boot game.

Dima

Reaction score
SomeJerk,
They will definitely get darker over time. You can also use wax of a darker color to speed up this process.
And I can't see anything bad about having different colored boots in wardrobe. Variety is good.

Reaction score

I just got a pair of service boots in the crazy horse coloration off of amazon. They are a LOT lighter than they looked in the pictures. I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with this particular boot can tell me if they will get darker over time or even post some pics some that have been worn in, or if I should just think about exchanging them. They look great but all the browns in my wardrobe are darker and they just don't fit in. That being said, what little info I can find, some people claim they get darker over time and I'm also reading some people claim that they age better than the other available colors. Also I don't really like any of the other available boots in their line right now. The tan renegade looks nice but I'm definitely looking to go darker. The cordovan has more red than I want and I don't like the texturing on the brown bomber. I really would like a pair of the homestead cap toe in riptide brown that they recently had but I can't find any in my size     (10 D.) So right now barring someone posting some magic link to those for a good price I'm a little torn between keeping them, or possibly waiting till Chippewa releases some new colors. Can anyone tell me how often that happens or how likely they are to release something different from what's out now or is it more likely that just slightly tweak what's already available?  Would waiting for a couple of months likely pay off or will I just be sitting around for months with no brown boots, only to be offered more of the same? I'm new to the whole boot game.

Honestly, the cordovan color isn't that red.Its a dark brown with a hint of burgundy that makes the boots look gorgeous!

Dima

Reaction score
Who had experience with gumlite sole? Is that true, that it wears out quickly on asphalt?
Choosing between 20065 and 1901 and this can be a deal-breaker.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gents,

OP here. Just kopped these Chippewa Originals and thought I'd post them because I hadn't seen this style before. It's the 8" Tan Renegade leather version of the service boot with a somewhat different pattern (applied kiltie, backstay, and pulltab).

Here are some pics:

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who had experience with gumlite sole? Is that true, that it wears out quickly on asphalt?
Choosing between 20065 and 1901 and this can be a deal-breaker.

I've got Trickers with a Gumlite sole, and yes the sole wears slightly more quickly than say a Vibram Christy but the difference isn't that great. They give a very good grip in the wet and are very comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads