1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Original Chippewa Heritage Boot Line

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by bl@ster, Feb 1, 2013.

1. wasabi37

wasabi37 New Member

They are now on sale with 25% off original price $258 on jcrew.com.

1 person likes this.
  2. Pitsen

Pitsen New Member

What's the differnce between a service boot and a utilty boot?

3. Telito

Telito New Member

Hi, friends!

I would like to buy or Chippewa 1901M82 or 1901M25.
    But I can not determine the size.
    The length of my foot 25.3 cm.
    The minimum size of these models Chippewa - US6 D. But will not it big to me?
    I found some size charts: https://www.foxcreekleather.com/size_charts/25 , http://image.rakuten.co.jp/sneak/cabinet/size-brand/size-chippewa01.jpg .
    I beg those who weared 1901M or who can measure the length of the insole in the 1901M measure the length of the insole in the 1901M US7 or point me to a size chart which will guide me in selecting the size of 1901M.

4. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Hello Gents,

OP here. Remember way back in 2013 when I made this post:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/334210/the-original-chippewa-heritage-boot-line/15#post_6544738

...about the Chippewa "Reserve" Collection which was to be made with the higher end Horween leathers? Well I almost forgot too since I've been looking for a way to track these down for the past two years. Well, lo and behold I just found some listed on Ebay and went ahead and kopped.... after all this time!

And now they're in! And I can report that they are indeed made with Horween leather, in this case Burgundy CXL. Not only that, but they have that nice retro pattern on the outsole and the insole is made with real leather (like a pair of Red Wings) instead of that Texon paperboard. One other difference from the regular Original Chippewa is that this model seems to have one extra eyelet. Nice.

Here are the pics I just snapped:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    2 people like this.
  5. Telito

Telito New Member

Where can buy online?

6. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Not sure yet. I got my pair from Ebay but I only see a couple pair listed there in odd sizes. I believe this line is being introduced this Fall so we should keep an eye out for where to k0p in the next few months...

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  7. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Huge thanks to forum member Solomite81 for hooking me up with my newest k0p: Chippewa "Archives" style# 4353TAN in Horween's Tan Dublin leather. These are real beauties and it's great to see Chippewa using Horween leather in this new higher-end line that they're calling the Archives Collection (formerly Reserve Collection). There's some info here:
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/threewoodjapan/item/chi-4353-tan/

Here are some pics I just snapped:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  8. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

This RAWR Denim article shows why Red Wing Heritage construction is better than competitor boots from Chippewa Original. When they cut the boots in half, check out the cork filling and real leather insole on the RW's whereas the Chippewa's cut corners with synthetic foam core and synthetic Texon insole. Note: It remains to be seen if the Chipps I posted above with the real leather insole have cork filling or not. I hope that Chippewa will step up their game and include cork filling and real leather insoles in all their boots in the future. And if not, they should not raise their prices toward Red Wing prices like they have been doing lately.

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2015/06/red-wing-iron-ranger-best-entry-level-boot/
    http://www.rawrdenim.com/2015/06/chippewa-service-boot-entry-level-boot-showdown/

Red Wing Iron Ranger:
    [​IMG]

Chippewa Original Service Boots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  9. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Telling. Even so, I have to say that IRs are the most uncomfortable boot
    I have ever worn; though I think they look great. With Chippewas I added an insole and it was perfect. And my pre-katahdin pair of engineers lasted 10 years!

10. SP1259

SP1259 Member

I guess I'm just trying to reconcile the comment they make about the IRs having more expensive internals, making them higher quality, but since the material is organic, they're more likely to rot out from moisture.

I own a few pairs of Red Wings and Chipps, and honestly don't think the quality of construction is a big differentiator for someone with my purposes (walking around the city, going out and getting to work on a rainy day). Both get the job done and seem built to last. Still seems more subjective than objective to me.

11. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

I may be wrong, but I *think* RW replaces the cork filler when you send them back for a resole.

12. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Just got my daughter some very nice Katahdins from ebay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Gents, just took delivery of this Chippewa archival reissue of the 1975 Chippewa Insulated Trekker boots. They've got Horween leather, real leather insole, quilted leather lining, come with wool felt removable insoles, steel shank, and of course Made in USA. These suckers are heavy and really beefy. I've been told this style was special issue and is now discontinued but you still may be able to find a pair here or there. MSRP was $399 but I got them for $299.

Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

15. Dima

Dima Active Member

Morning, gents.
    Is there a difference in size between original Chippewa and J.Crew plain-toe version? Collaborations are often somewhat smaller in my previous experience.
    Wouldn't like to order wrong size and pay extra $60 for delivery :)

16. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

No difference at all.

17. JoyasVoladoras

JoyasVoladoras Member

Hey there fellas! Just had a question about the leather of the Chippewa 6 inch service boots in cordovan. Lovely boots and they are absolutely badass. I just bought them and the left boot has a weird wrinkling/cracking on the leather. I just wanted to know if it is normal or if I should exchange them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

That's totally normal. Start wearing them -- they're about to get much more wrinkled/patina'ed. Enjoy!

19. JoyasVoladoras

JoyasVoladoras Member

Great thank you so much. They are beautiful boots! This weekend they had them on sale for about 160 on amazon with a promo code.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  20. SomeJerk

SomeJerk Member

I just got a pair of service boots in the crazy horse coloration off of amazon. They are a LOT lighter than they looked in the pictures. I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with this particular boot can tell me if they will get darker over time or even post some pics some that have been worn in, or if I should just think about exchanging them. They look great but all the browns in my wardrobe are darker and they just don't fit in. That being said, what little info I can find, some people claim they get darker over time and I'm also reading some people claim that they age better than the other available colors. Also I don't really like any of the other available boots in their line right now. The tan renegade looks nice but I'm definitely looking to go darker. The cordovan has more red than I want and I don't like the texturing on the brown bomber. I really would like a pair of the homestead cap toe in riptide brown that they recently had but I can't find any in my size (10 D.) So right now barring someone posting some magic link to those for a good price I'm a little torn between keeping them, or possibly waiting till Chippewa releases some new colors. Can anyone tell me how often that happens or how likely they are to release something different from what's out now or is it more likely that just slightly tweak what's already available? Would waiting for a couple of months likely pay off or will I just be sitting around for months with no brown boots, only to be offered more of the same? I'm new to the whole boot game.