1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Original Chippewa Heritage Boot Line

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by bl@ster, Feb 1, 2013.

1. disorder

disorder Member

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice here. I recently purchased a pair of Homesteads (new in box) from a seller on Amazon. Tried them on and they fit, so I went about wearing them. Within two days the innner sole on my right boot started to show this "bump" that was hitting right in the arch of my foot. I'm wearing the boots now and I can feel this bump only my right foot, left boot is extremely comfortable. I contacted Chippewa about it but they want me to send the boots in for them to decide if its a warranty issue and that takes 3-4 weeks. Has anyone else dealt with this before? The arrow in the pic is pointing to where the bump starts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. bronco302

bronco302 Member

@ disorder
    If one feels different than the other one then there's gotta be something wrong.
    If you don't want to wait the 3-4 weeks, try using insoles and see how they feel.
    I got a pair of regular $13.00 Red Wing and the feel great at the bottom but snug at the top so I ended up not using them, I use a thicker sock instead.
    The are no bumps on neither of my boots.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. Noirkw

Noirkw Well-Known Member

Anyone with experience with the IRs and Homestead? I'm looking to invest in either of the two boots. I'm a 7D in Iron Rangers (snug fit, with very thin socks as I am in Singapore rather humid - cant wear wool/thick socks or I'm gonna get foot rot) when I went for sizing at my local RW shop. What would you guys suggest I get the Homesteads in? There are no retailers that are carrying Chippewas here. So I'm out of options to test out the fitting.

4. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Get a size 7.5D.

5. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

Where are you guys buying these? Exclusively online?

6. bronco302

bronco302 Member

Got
    Got mine from amazon.

7. AudereEstFacere

AudereEstFacere New Member

Any of you guys have experience Obenauf-ing the Cordovan colored Service Boots? Is it a good idea? I've only ever used Obenauf on lighter colored browns.

8. rbarthel

rbarthel Senior member

My service boots will be delivered tomorrow, if they fit and the quality is acceptable (for winter beater boots, so a fairly low bar) I'll be treating them with Obenauf LP this weekend most likely. I'll post up a pic when they are done

btw they are 25% off on Amazon with code HOLIDAY25, unfortunately that code doesnt work on Red Wings/Wolverines

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  9. Chien

Chien Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting the service boot as well, but need help on sizing,
    If I'm a 8.5D in alden barrie, and 9.5D in alden Grant last.

What should I be getting?

10. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

I've never heard of someone being a full size different on Grant vs Barrie. But you'll need a 9D or 9.5D

11. lkrklnd

lkrklnd New Member

I'm trying to choose between the Tan Renegade from Zappos and the brown/cordovan J.Crew boot. Pros to each, and I only can afford one boot, but I'm not so familiar with boot construction and saw that the J.Crew boots' stitching stops at the heel and has a little chunk taken out of it (it even looks like the layer below the leather is spliced together instead of one piece) whereas the Tan Renegade stitching continues all the way around. Any input on what the deal is with that? I'm leaning towards the J.Crew boot but anybody have a strong position for one or the other?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Neither. Get these:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78205?feat=49464-pprrtop

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  13. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

14. lkrklnd

lkrklnd New Member

Thanks, but can you clarify regarding the quality of the Katahdins??

15. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I had a pair that I wore 4 or 5 times a week for ten years. They wore like iron, and the leather, which was not much at first, took on a great patina. I tried on a pair of the new service boots and they felt much lighter, with the sort of flaws you have seen.

16. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

The Katahdins I posted about are basically the same boot as the Chipp boot from J. Crew. Quality will be the same.

17. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I have never worn the plane toe Katahdin, but if you go try on the cap toe and then try on the new service boots I am certain you will feel the difference.

18. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

I have both and there is no difference. They use the same last and the quality level is the same.

19. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I can only say that I had my old ones with me when I tried on two different pairs of the new ones, and they were very different materials, sizing, and overall feel. But then my old ones are 13 years old so maybe the build of the Katahdins are different now too.

20. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Katahdins were the first major boot I bought. Forgot how much they cost then but they were definitely under 220. I remember the quality being pretty good (but I didn't have much of a reference) but I just completely fucked up the sizing. I don't think it's fair to compare to Horween because they're simply two types of leather, but Katahdin boots could probably take a beating.

If I can find my old pair I'd definitely be open to selling it. I'm quite impressed by some of the offerings in the Chippewa line now, but since I know I like stuff from Tricker's and Viberg and such I'll just save my money towards that.