• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Original Chippewa Heritage Boot Line

Sad Panda

Reaction score
Got a question for you all re inserts when a boot is slightly too large. I am sz 11 sneakers but got sz 10.5 chipps (plain toe wedge). I should have gotten a 10 as I'm getting heel slip (maybe even a 9.5 but that seems a concern re width as I have slightly wide feet). Width is good and there's certainly plenty of length (more than needed) the the heel slip is concerning.

Is there anything I can buy to insert to help with this? cheers

asdsime

Reaction score
Do you guys put any protector/cream on the boots before wearing or do you just wear it as is and apply afterwards?

seer

Reaction score
Do you guys put any protector/cream on the boots before wearing or do you just wear it as is and apply afterwards?

I always do a couple of coats when I get them. Some boots are on the shelf quite awhile before they are sold - the leather tends to dry. And a well oil boot seems to break in faster.

Sad Panda

Reaction score
From what I can tell it depends on the boot & leather type, how you will use it (important) and your preference visually. Seems like many products can darken the leather slightly (some significantly and some returns to normal after a day or so). Many say apply something to protect them from the elements etc. Some prefer the worn in look.

For my Chipp's (plain toe wedge in crazy horse) I spoke to Chippewa themselves (Justin Brands) who said treat them as nap/nubuc or suede and only apply a suede weather protector. The shop I got them from don't do anything with their boots and they like them looking natural and rugged (I think I'm in this camp, although Its cheaper for the shop to replace them in a few years if the leather drys out etc).

I am using them as a "casual" boot to wear with denim. They will never be in snow or go hiking. Never used for back country stuff so they don't need Obenhaufs LP or something like that. I just wear them around home, in the city and suburbs, parks and on "normal" holidays or daytrips. Nothing my sneakers wouldn't do. I could be caught in the rain but not hiking in the rain.

I decided to not do anything. The leather looked fine, they are stupidly comfortable out of the box with no break in really (sneaker lvl comfy) and I love the colour so I don't want to risk darkening it. I have some Bick 4 which I'll use in a few years or as needed if the leather looks dry.

matthewh

Reaction score
Got a question for you all re inserts when a boot is slightly too large. I am sz 11 sneakers but got sz 10.5 chipps (plain toe wedge). I should have gotten a 10 as I'm getting heel slip (maybe even a 9.5 but that seems a concern re width as I have slightly wide feet). Width is good and there's certainly plenty of length (more than needed) the the heel slip is concerning.

Is there anything I can buy to insert to help with this? cheers
A little heel slip (for boots) is normal, especially when boots are new. Typically, as the sole breaks-in and becomes more flexible the slippage will decrease. I simply use thicker socks. Merino wool hiking socks like Smartwool or LLBean Cresta have a thickened heel and a little extra padding on the bottom. Also be sure the forefoot laces are tight enough.

asdsime

Reaction score

From what I can tell it depends on the boot & leather type, how you will use it (important) and your preference visually. Seems like many products can darken the leather slightly (some significantly and some returns to normal after a day or so). Many say apply something to protect them from the elements etc. Some prefer the worn in look.

For my Chipp's (plain toe wedge in crazy horse) I spoke to Chippewa themselves (Justin Brands) who said treat them as nap/nubuc or suede and only apply a suede weather protector. The shop I got them from don't do anything with their boots and they like them looking natural and rugged (I think I'm in this camp, although Its cheaper for the shop to replace them in a few years if the leather drys out etc).

I am using them as a "casual" boot to wear with denim. They will never be in snow or go hiking. Never used for back country stuff so they don't need Obenhaufs LP or something like that. I just wear them around home, in the city and suburbs, parks and on "normal" holidays or daytrips. Nothing my sneakers wouldn't do. I could be caught in the rain but not hiking in the rain.

I decided to not do anything. The leather looked fine, they are stupidly comfortable out of the box with no break in really (sneaker lvl comfy) and I love the colour so I don't want to risk darkening it. I have some Bick 4 which I'll use in a few years or as needed if the leather looks dry.

I just wear mine casually in the city to go out and to work (Chippewa x J.crew service boots). I guess I won't apply anything on them till later when the leather starts to dry out a bit, although kinda worried as it is snowing a lot for the past couple weeks. When you refer to back country stuff, what do you mean? I have Obenhaufs LP, is it bad to use it on these boots? Also anyways to decrease or stop creasing on the boots?

Thanks!!

Sad Panda

Reaction score
A little heel slip (for boots) is normal, especially when boots are new. Typically, as the sole breaks-in and becomes more flexible the slippage will decrease. I simply use thicker socks. Merino wool hiking socks like Smartwool or LLBean Cresta have a thickened heel and a little extra padding on the bottom. Also be sure the forefoot laces are tight enough.
cheers. Cool, I'll keep the laces tight and wear thicker socks where possible (or as thick as my feet can handle as it gets hot here so properly thick socks are often not possible). I'll see if it improves at all over time. I tried insole but it makes it too squishy. I have heel pads that I'll try at some stage if needed. cheers mate

Sad Panda

Reaction score
thanks. I'm loving them thus far. Sneaker comfortable and love the look of them. Just what I was wanting out of a boot. I kinda like them looking dusty and a bit dirty and look forward to the leather aging over time. But not drying out :)

Sad Panda

Reaction score
I just wear mine casually in the city to go out and to work (Chippewa x J.crew service boots). I guess I won't apply anything on them till later when the leather starts to dry out a bit, although kinda worried as it is snowing a lot for the past couple weeks. When you refer to back country stuff, what do you mean? I have Obenhaufs LP, is it bad to use it on these boots? Also anyways to decrease or stop creasing on the boots?

Thanks!!
Yeah, we have same kind of usage with boots then. I'd call it "normal" urban wear. By back country I just mean going hiking or whatever in the forest where they could get muddy, wet or covered in snow.

The only thing I'd say about "normal" urban wear is that your normal is different to mine in that you have snow! You might want to consider sno seal or obenhauf's LP then? (or at least do what chippewa recommend and spray on a suede water repellent - if that's what they recommend for your leather?). I have no experience with either snoseal or LP myself so wait for someone else's opinion on these, but reading a bit about them, it seems they will make the leather darker but I think there's no choice if you want them weather sealed for snow (so many people seems to swear by the LP stuff for sealing). I'd contact chippewa and jcrew and ask then what they recommend you do too.

No idea what will stop/decrease creasing in the boots. Strangely my right boot has creased a lot and left not really at all? (partly cause I kneed on right knee surely). I think its all just part of a leather product. I guess creases lead to cracks when dry. but I assume its all part of a boot breaking in and so long as the leathers not dry its all good. Interested in others opinion on this?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks. I'm loving them thus far. Sneaker comfortable and love the look of them. Just what I was wanting out of a boot. I kinda like them looking dusty and a bit dirty and look forward to the leather aging over time. But not drying out :)

I know some guys have talked about the leather being "dry" but i don't think I've seen that to be a problem with my boots. I suppose if they sat for a couple of years in a closet somewhere...? I've mainly used boot oil after they've been severely wet or muddy and cleaned, and i feel like they need treated.

As far as Snoseal, etc, I've mainly used that when you know you will be out in wet or snow for extended periods and want to keep your feet dry. In other words, more for your feet than your boots! I feel like otherwise there is nothing wrong with getting your boots wet now and then. Most of these leathers don't need babied...

mixProtocol

Reaction score
there is nothing wrong with getting your boots wet now and then. Most of these leathers don't need babied...

Yeah, that's my thought as well. As long as you're occasionally giving them some oil (whether from boot oil, obenauf's or sno-seal), the leather will be fine. If they get truly soaked, I'd probably spend a few moments reapplying (as water does deplete the oils in the leather).

Sad Panda

Reaction score
I know some guys have talked about the leather being "dry" but i don't think I've seen that to be a problem with my boots. I suppose if they sat for a couple of years in a closet somewhere...? I've mainly used boot oil after they've been severely wet or muddy and cleaned, and i feel like they need treated.

As far as Snoseal, etc, I've mainly used that when you know you will be out in wet or snow for extended periods and want to keep your feet dry. In other words, more for your feet than your boots! I feel like otherwise there is nothing wrong with getting your boots wet now and then. Most of these leathers don't need babied...
Yeah, chippewa certainly dont think they should be babied and they would want to be on the safe side

rutabaga

Reaction score
Picked up the Sand Suede Service Boots for JCrew since they were clearing them out last week. I really like the look. Unfortunately the different sections have much different nap lengths, but what are you gonna do? For $160 I'm still quite pleased.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads