• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I bet there is no real universally accepted rule and some shirtmakers just claim what they were taught is the way things are supposed to be done. The shirtmaker I spoke to claimed gauntlet buttons for sleeves that get rolled up, which is not done with FCs.

What is the logic behind rolled-up sleeves demanding gauntlet buttons?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Royal oxford always looks really gross to me.

In any case, Foo, I like Kamakura shirts and think they're nice, but I don't know if they'd suit you. They're quite trim fitting, and I think you like looser fits.

O'Connells is reproducing the mid-century Brooks OCBDs. The process is still in works, and they're not sure if they can do it yet. Part of it is that they're using more expensive oxford ($15 a yard vs the regular $5 that almost everyone else uses). That's going to result in a higher price point that they're not sure there's a market for. But if it arrives, it'll be in fall.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I only have one, and I think it might be from a high-end book. I can't remember which one, but it was through NsM. Anyway, I think it's pretty good for white shirts to wear at night. In any color other than white I don't like it.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iirc they also told me that for button cuff their default is no gaunlet button

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In any case, Foo, I like Kamakura shirts and think they're nice, but I don't know if they'd suit you. They're quite trim fitting, and I think you like looser fits.

O'Connells is reproducing the mid-century Brooks OCBDs. The process is still in works, and they're not sure if they can do it yet. Part of it is that they're using more expensive oxford ($15 a yard vs the regular $5 that almost everyone else uses). That's going to result in a higher price point that they're not sure there's a market for. But if it arrives, it'll be in fall.

Interesting.

However, in response to both your and Dopey's suggestions, I'm not really looking to recreate the historical OCBD. If I wanted that, I'd probably mess around with places like Kamakura and Mercer to get the right result. What I do want is a shirt that can be worn to similar effect, but styled more to my individual tastes.

What I do want to replicate is the ideal OCBD collar roll. Even then, I'm not so convinced historical examples were any better, all in all. People just get lost in the romance of grainy black-and-white photos. Half the time I see raving adulation over a collar's perfect roll, I see no roll at all, just rumpled, flappy oxford cloth. There are few, specific instances that look great, and that's what I want.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
FC will necessarily have a longer gauntlet opening than BC, which is why I think the former needs a button.

No gauntlet buttons on OCBDs.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I only have one, and I think it might be from a high-end book. I can't remember which one, but it was through NsM. Anyway, I think it's pretty good for white shirts to wear at night. In any color other than white I don't like it.

I just don't understand your opposition to poplin. It is quite literally a "plain weave" and as neutral as you can get. It's the standard. That's why it can be worn with anything. With poplin, it's really the color and pattern that control whether it works in a particular context. The weave itself is always fine.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

FC will necessarily have a longer gauntlet opening than BC, which is why I think the former needs a button.

This has not been my experience. The gauntlets on my bespoke French cuffed shirts are actually shorter than on my MTM OCBDs, by almost an inch.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mine are all longer.

In addition, because of the way they are constructed, the two sides of a barrel cuff gauntlet will always overlap, like a rolled up piece of paper, which minimizes gaping. FCs, on the other hand, don't overlap the same way, since the cuff is pressed together, liked a folded piece of paper. Hence they are more prone to gaping. Hence the button.

bant

Reaction score
while i do see the virtue in the "OneSuit" for a budget conscious young professional looking for a versatile staple appropriate in a variety of social and business settings, this just sounds like a very boring, formulaic approach to getting dressed each morning. there is something to be said for building a versatile and interchangeable wardrobe but it strikes me as a bit extreme when it comes to shirts.

why limit yourself to just one? branch out and enjoy the various styles and fabrics that are available to you. experience the joy of wearing a linked cuff on one day, and a two button cuff the next. the simple pleasure in having the option to select a button down collar or spread collar at your very whimsy!

and to echo others - if your shirts are fraying after the 20th wearing to the point of necessary repair then you need a new washing machine end of story.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All I can say is that I've never experienced any gaping, or at least not to any extent I found noticeable or bothersome.

I don't remember exactly when I read about this issue, but I seem to recall either Carl or Kabbaz arguing that gauntlet buttons aren't needed when a French cuffed shirt is properly fit. My old MTM Borrelli shirts all had French cuffs, and they had monstrously long gauntlets, with buttons. When Anna first fitted me in Naples, I was told something similar (though I can't be 100% sure since it was through multiple layers of translation): never gauntlet buttons on good shirts.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just don't understand your opposition to poplin. It is quite literally a "plain weave" and as neutral as you can get. It's the standard. That's why it can be worn with anything. With poplin, it's really the color and pattern that control whether it works in a particular context. The weave itself is always fine.

I don't hate it - I was just floating the idea of royal oxford as a sometimes-substitute to prompt discussion. I wear poplin with worsted and whatnot. I do prefer more texture with tweeds, etc., though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

while i do see the virtue in the "OneSuit" for a budget conscious young professional looking for a versatile staple appropriate in a variety of social and business settings, this just sounds like a very boring, formulaic approach to getting dressed each morning. there is something to be said for building a versatile and interchangeable wardrobe but it strikes me as a bit extreme when it comes to shirts.

why limit yourself to just one? branch out and enjoy the various styles and fabrics that are available to you. experience the joy of wearing a linked cuff on one day, and a two button cuff the next. the simple pleasure in having the option to select a button down collar or spread collar at your very whimsy!

wecome to foo

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What type of chambray are using? This thread reminds me of a story that my shirtmaker told me.

An insistent customer ordered six lengths of the famous (infamous?) ASW chambray. The shirtmaker tells the customer to let him make one shirt first to make sure he likes it. The customer insists on having all six at once, so the shirtmaker complies, makes the shirts, and sends them off. The customer receives the shirts and calls the shirtmaker, asking if he used a different fabric. After getting all six shirts, the customer realizes the fabric isn't all that great.

The kicker was that each length of the fabric came pre-cut. If it had come as just one length, the customer would have actually had enough for seven shirts. Although, I suppose that would be just one extra shirt that he wouldn't want.

On the other topic of collar roll, the same shirtmaker makes a pretty good one IMO. I recently posted it in the OCBD collar roll thread:

[/quote]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads