• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

freehand

Reaction score
Great thread: it's surprising that a subject so niche should generate a story rich with plot twists and intrigue. One aspect that has been bugging me has been this new hws character - the broken english seems to me to be a transparent disguise to allow him to insult Foo to his face (imbecile and cretin being two recent examples, with acute accents thrown in for good measure). Anyway, I just checked his other posts and he used to write in perfect english and is presumably american - sorry if everyone is aware of this (I'm new here!) but people seem to be responding to his ridiculous posts as if he were a genuine european guy trying to be helpful in spite of language difficulties.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

bad day for it, too warm. I wore oxford yesterday and regretted it. It's almost linen cotton weather.

It depends on poorsod's chambray. The "new" stuff, such as I have, is supposed to worn in warm weather. It follows the same concept as fresco, with its tightly twisted yarns.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Great thread: it's surprising that a subject so niche should generate a story rich with plot twists and intrigue.  One aspect that has been bugging me has been this new hws character - the broken english seems to me to be a transparent disguise to allow him to insult Foo to his face (imbecile and cretin being two recent examples, with acute accents thrown in for good measure). Anyway, I just checked his other posts and he used to write in perfect english and is presumably american - sorry if everyone is aware of this (I'm new here!) but people seem to be responding to his ridiculous posts as if he were a genuine european guy trying to be helpful in spite of language difficulties.

Was he being insulting and condescending? I just assumed he was being European.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Great thread: it's surprising that a subject so niche should generate a story rich with plot twists and intrigue.  One aspect that has been bugging me has been this new hws character - the broken english seems to me to be a transparent disguise to allow him to insult Foo to his face (imbecile and cretin being two recent examples, with acute accents thrown in for good measure). Anyway, I just checked his other posts and he used to write in perfect english and is presumably american - sorry if everyone is aware of this (I'm new here!) but people seem to be responding to his ridiculous posts as if he were a genuine european guy trying to be helpful in spite of language difficulties.

hws was calling himself an imbecile/cretin for buying into the hype of the fabric, not Foo. Also, the prior posts in perfect English were already explained. Please keep up.

emptym

Reaction score
While things are being exposed itt, I'll reveal that hws is...

no one's sock. At least there's no ip match. And the ips he posts from are European.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
That's a let-down. I was hoping he was the love child of Ed and Son of Saphir.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

no one's sock. At least there's no ip match. And the ips he posts from are European.

I'm pretty sure he's been around for a long time and has always seemed quite knowledgeable about shirts. At least that's my recollection.

That said I think he knows English better than he lets on and that his posts in this thread have been especially affected. And that's fine; at least it's fun when he does it, unlike most of the "clever" people on this forum.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

what if I was HWS and Son of Saphir.............

If vox got 83 pages-worth for being FC, then I imagine you'd be entitled to at least 75.

hws

Reaction score

hws was calling himself an imbecile/cretin for buying into the hype of the fabric, not Foo.

Exactement! I call my self crétin et imbécile for to buy shirt of chambray (I think I have make bad decision for to buy this, have buy for raison no good), I no call Foo crétin et imbécile. Thank you for be so kind for to explain!

You wise man for to understand, I think other think is compliqué what I have write before, that may be there is message caché, is no compliqué what I write before, I must to salute you! :thumbs-up:

hws

Reaction score

Thank you for show la vérité! :slayer:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Exactement! I call my self crétin et imbécile for to buy shirt of chambray (I think I have make bad decision for to buy this, have buy for raison no good), I no call Foo crétin et imbécile. Thank you for be so kind for to explain!

You wise man for to understand, I think other think is compliqué what I have write before, that may be there is message caché, is no compliqué what I write before, I must to salute you! :thumbs-up:

no, no my friend. You are the wise man!! :nodding: I salute you :slayer:

Have you ever used Charvet?

emptym

Reaction score

when I was younger, "chambray" was all the rage. This would have been the mid to late 80s. I don't know what it was exactly but it looked like light weight denim. Lighter and softer. It was a very popular shirting. Though no one said "shirting" then needless to say. I remember that I had one from polo that I wore until it died. Styled like an OCBD. also, there was a California cheap clothing company called "miller's outpost" that used to advertize on all my favorite low-end UHF channels, KTLA, KOFY and the like, and they were always hawking their "chambray"

Loved Miller's Outpost as a kid. Here's a chambray shirt from LL Bean that my dad bought me in the 80's. It's made in the US of US fabric. Was my among my favorite shirts for a decade or so. But I just hide it in the back of the closet now for fear it will disintegrate in the next wear/wash. You can see a few places where I've sewn up little holes:

Close-up:

People bought into the mystique of Simonnot Godard chambray without understanding it. Our minds granted it magical appeal. So, why shouldn't Simonnot Godard charge a price fitting for that magic and mystique? Nothing anyone liked about the stuff (the coloration, the hand, etc.) ever had anything to do with the supposition that it's 100% cotton. That is the irony--not that anyone was cheated, but that people like polyester in their shirting

I've mentioned my affinity for poly blends a few times on the forum. Here's a Gant ocbd that I've had almost as long as the shirt above. It hasn't pilled and it isn't nearly as delicate as the Bean chambray:

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wish hws would just post in French and then I could run it through Google Translate...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads