1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe they can guarantee the polyester is from 1972, the golden age of man-made textiles?

7 people like this.
  2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

does this mean I have to burn mine?

3. Manton

BTW, I agree, no BDs in end on end.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I think you're rushing to judgment here, foo. I'd urge you to go the mass spec route:

[​IMG]

5. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

button down in end on end is seriously old school 1960's look.

everything from Phillips boyne comes from asia
    older 44/45" will be from Japan. the basic broadcloth is ok.

59/60" fabrics are out of China.

the minimums for specific fabric is at least 1000 yards.

It was worth the second degree burns on my fingers to prove I was right.

9 people like this.
  6. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Just bought some of Torsten's SG chambray at the new closeout price!

Polyester or not, the price is great and I like the one I have.

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Last edited: May 3, 2013
    2 people like this.
  8. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I realise you guys are principled and all that....but if the fabric looks nice, feels nice and has decent longevity...what's the problem?

Wasn't the unique property of the SG Chambray that it's smooth enough to be worn as formally as a blue shirt allows, but textured enough to allow casual shirting, and hence why its premium was justifiable to Foo?

Why is this property somehow not so unique now that we find out that polyester is blended in?

3 people like this.
  9. A Y

A Y Senior member

I say this as someone who has a couple of shirts made from the SG chambray (as well as the voile) ... I believe the original allure of the SG cloth is that it was hard to get and used by shirtmakers and tailors that were placed on a pedestal (primarily because they were hard to access and had all of the iGent checklist checked off). Certain respected posters also had these shirts, and they looked pretty good, too, but I get a feeling it was a bit of the thrill of the hunt.

Having said that, I'm happy with my shirts, and continue to wear them. I do think that the cloth is OK only for casual or sporting shirts, and not appropriate for dressier shirts, and I didn't think anyone thought otherwise until this thread.

Also, is there an ending state for the SF hype cycle that ends in actual flames?

6 people like this.
  10. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

Have you considered cotton-linen blends for lightweight button-downs?

I'm inclined to go with that in the future, now that your research has demolished my 18th-century-loomed dreams, much in the manner of Ned Lud.

11. wmb

wmb Senior member

I have some shirts in acorn end on end that I am very happy with

12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I think this is going to work out better as a dress shirt with single cuffs. The chambray would have been better as a button down.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  13. TiberiasUSA

TiberiasUSA Senior member

14. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Honestly, the cloth, when received, was rather rough which is why I haven't made it up since my purchase some time ago (I even thought Foo had chanced upon a new length of Godard that was smoother).

I was extremely astonished given the amount I had paid for it but naturally, never thought to burn the cloth to test the composition, obviously believing I was sold an all cotton fabric because that's what was listed on the site. All's well and fine if I was told that the fabric had polyester in it before hand and still went ahead with the purchase since in this case, the consumer made an informed decision -- for some of us, drawing us to a notice that there is polyester content might dissuade the purchase (In my case, I'd definitely not have paid 80 euros (plus shipping) for a terribly rough fabric with polyester content in it).

It's like saying that you think you're being sold a Rubinacci suit made out of 100% wool for 4000 euros because you're told so. When you're actually paying 4000 euros for a Wool and Polyester suit. It's a fair comment to make that some people might well be dissuaded from paying 4000 euros for a suit that is made out of a Wool-Polyester blend, Rubinacci or not.

Torsten's present price is a fair one.

1 person likes this.
  15. Butler

Butler Senior member

I'd say that's pretty decent customer service on part of Torsten and Grunwald. :worship:
    :bigstar:

3 people like this.
  16. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

True that.

17. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Maybe I'm biased since EoE is 75% of what I wear but I think it's versatile enough to take a BD.

Plain poplins look bad as BDs but the small amount of visual interest in an EoE allows for it to be ever so slightly more casual, though it works perfectly with a spread collar and French cuffs.

18. mactire

mactire Senior member

You speak as if a principle can be just cast aside! But seriously what has really annoyed these guys is the huge premium paid for the cloth compared to what goes into it. Polyester will increase heat and odour while reducing creases but more importantly it reduces cost in raw materials. Synthetics/blends are cheap because they are cheap if you twig my tautology. So SG are supplying an inauthentic product at grossly inflated prices, for what you were paying for it you can get worsted wools or super 140s/160s cotton shirtings etc. or even pay retail for Bonfanti or Riva.

Fear not, there's always Bonfanti if you're so inclined, the looms are wooden http://www.bonfantitessuti.it/la_produzione_4.html

1 person likes this.
  19. Manton

All the EoE I have is too thin and smooth. I remember I once had a BB BD in EoE and I always hated it. Took me a while to understand why.

20. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are we seriously entertaining the notion that polyester is a legitimate material for nice shirting? Sorry, but that's just drowning in denial. How many of us could feel the difference between SG chambray and a two-buck-a-yard cotton-poly blend in a blind test? Do you really think there is a difference? Do you really believe that SG purposely uses polyester to achieve some sort of visual effect? I can't remember hearing something so absurd from someone so well-reputed in the industry.

Come on, guys. Wake up. I fell for it too, but enough is enough. Draw the line. The truth is, this whole experience only proves how little anybody can tell about cloth and other materials by touch, feel, and appearance. That includes tailors and shirtmakers, believe it or not. We buy stuff like SG chambray on reputation, which is the only metric that can be relied on with any consistency, but then tell ourselves that our refined senses pickup on the intrinsic quality. Well, when I find out a loved cloth is part polyester, that destroys the maker's reputation, humbles me, and makes me doubt everyone who still sticks up for the stuff.

Don't fool yourselves. In men's clothing, reputation is everything, and it always trumps what you think you feel between your fingers.

2 people like this.