The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Butler

Butler Senior member

Like this: :bigstar:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

You can have it both ways. If you leave the button on the inside of the cuff you can button it as a single cuff (which is ugly IMO). If you pass it through the buttonhole to the outside, you can button it like a barrel cuff.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. johanm

johanm Senior member

RDiaz's first pic shows the cuff unfastened. You could then button it like a normal barrel cuff.

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a dress shirt made with one of these. I ordered a single link cuff. I got FCs. I explained I wanted a single link cufflink shirt. So they remade it with one of these. I gave up and kept it. Looks fine.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Eh. Like I said, it's a moot point. I have no anxiety over linked cuffs and wear them exclusively on my non-OCBDs. I would never order a convertible cuff because I don't need the functionality and like to keep things as simple as possible.

The real question is not convertible versus linked, but single versus double.

6. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

7. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Yeah, but at least now you know how it works [​IMG]

If you don't need the functionality it's pointless, I guess. Mine are convertible because they are RTW and come that way, but I only use them as barrel cuffs. I hate linked cuffs for the same reason you hate gauntlet buttons.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I do not see the appeal of single over double. I suppose foo would say the the fold serves no purpose, but I am not sure I agree. To support the heft of a link, I think you need more cloth there. Originally single links were only for evening clothes and were stiff. I believe that double cuffs were introduced in order to offer some of the functionality of stiffness without the bother of formal starched cuffs (which were often detachable).

And, I think double looks better.

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

10. mafoofan

I think there are two things going for the single cuff over the double: (1) it's lighter and therefore more comfortable, and (2) despite its formal origins, I think the simplicity lends itself well to more casual wear.

Sure, you need some stiffer interlining to support the cuff, but all in all, it will still be less onerous than a double cuff with lighter, softer interlining. At least, that's how I feel about my single cuffed dinner shirt versus my regular double cuffed shirts.

If it matters, I'd have the corners rounded off.

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Don't you think cufflinks take the shirt out of the realm of "more casual wear"? Unless you were thinking of using silk knots.

12. mafoofan

I didn't mean to imply I'd wear these shirts casually. Rather, I think single cuffs can work with more casual levels of dress than they were originally intended for (i.e. business wear).

But yes, silk knots are always an option if I want to make things even more casual. I like them with odd jackets, for example.

13. Manton

I don't have any single cuff shirts by my mind rebels that they might be in any way "more comfortable" than double, which I have been wearing for 20 years without the slightest discomfort.

14. mafoofan

I didn't say double cuffs aren't comfortable. I just find my single cuffs slightly more so.

15. Manton

There is no comfort difference to me between a BC and an FC, I can't why there would be between and FC and a LC.