1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The "One Sock": can a person own socks in just one color?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by viator, Dec 30, 2009.

1. viator

viator Senior member

So one of my pet peeves is sorting and balling up socks when they come out of the dryer. I try to avoid this by owning socks in grey (all the same brand/style) and brown (all the same brand/style). I'm wondering if I can get away with purchasing a whole bunch of these socks, and then just keeping a pair or two in black around for formal business occasions when I want to wear a dark suit with black shoes.

What do you think?

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I only own navy and dark brown socks and could probably just wear navy all the time.

3. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Senior member

I only own navy and dark brown socks and could probably just wear navy all the time.

Ditto, but as a Brit I rock the red on occasion.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have 12 pair of identical winter socks, charcoal gray with red toes and heels, 12 pair of charcoal summer socks, and then about 20 pair of gym socks (all used to be black but are fading a little) life is too short to spend it trying to find matching socks.

5. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Same, except some are argyle.

Though I feel very self-conscious wearing dark socks with light colored trousers.

6. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

The majority of my socks are solid navy. I greatly prefer the simplicity, and they basically go with everything. Unfortunately, I've encountered a problem. I've got about three or four brands, and they are all very similar. It takes me extra time to sort through each to determine what matches with what. It's very annoying, and I haven't found a system to simplify anything. I need to just stick to one brand.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I recall iammatt espousing an exclusively navy sock wardrobe.

8. shasta

shasta Senior member

I got hooked on these guys - so I have a lot of black in my drawer, but the quality is very good!

http://blacksocks.com/

9. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

For tropical and resort settings I prefer light colored socks. While at home I generally choose dark colors. I can't imagine one color could work in all seasons and settings.

10. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

There are days where I will wear a different sock on each foot simply because I don't feel like hunting.

Occasionally, this leads to some spectacular clown-ish sprezz.

But I can imagine that if you decided to toss all socks and restart, that this would be feasible. You'd just have cycles of purging and binging as socks wore out and needed to be replaced.

11. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I got hooked on these guys - so I have a lot of black in my drawer, but the quality is very good!

http://blacksocks.com/

Their socks, other than the knee length, all appear rather short in their models. Do you ever have an issue with slippage or exposed ankle/calf?

12. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

White tube socks. Look good with everything. Can double as a pocket square.

13. viator

viator Senior member

Guys, I am loving your enthusiasm for this strategy. It seems it is feasible and indeed, preferable. Now the only question remains is whether the color for these socks should be gray or navy.

14. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

One thing I would note, though: you really need at least two socks, unless you only have one foot.

15. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

White tube socks. Look good with everything. Taking a page from Moo's Book o' Style Tips, it can double as a pocket square.

[​IMG]

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

...remember the one shoe wardrobe threak boys, careful.

17. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Guys, I am loving your enthusiasm for this strategy. It seems it is feasible and indeed, preferable. Now the only question remains is whether the color for these socks should be gray or navy.
    Charcoal is the safer option, imo. It can work with browns, greys, blacks, blues, greens, etc. Navy might not be as versatile.

18. Chips

Chips Senior member

Where's da Foo when you need him?

I wouldn't try just navy, but navy and a nice charcoal gray. I'm really starting to desire thicker socks. Not sure if that's partly because I live in the bay area or if my shoes are just starting to loosen up. Perhaps both....

19. viator

viator Senior member

OK, so if I'm going to go with gray, I want a nice dark charcoal. Does anyone know where I can get inexpensive charcoal gray socks? I tried ebay with no luck.

20. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Variety, color, pattern is the way to go with socks. I just can't subscribe to the one or even two sock option.

[​IMG]