• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The old Hathaway shirts

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on the old Hathaway shirts that were Made in the USA until recently?

johnw86

Reaction score
Up through the mid 90s they were made in Waterville, Maine, before the manufacture was shipped overseas. I bought a few from 92-95 (when I lived in Maine) and found them to be pretty well-made, comparable in quality to a basic Brooks Bros. (though not as full-cut) or Paul Frederick.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hathaway used to make an excellent shirt for the money. Towards the end the shirt production was very automated and not very nice. At one point Walmart was buying most of the production and selling the shirts for less then cost just to have a made in the USA shirt on the shelves. When I worked at Barneys in 1980, they still carried Hathaway shirts as the opening price point. I beleive Ike Behar now owns the name and the shirts will be either made in their factory in Canada or in Hong kong. Carl www.cego.com

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
Well, they both have the triangular buttons, and pretty comparable quality.

I confess to liking the new Hathaway shirts. There. I feel better.

mezchr

Reaction score
1. The quality of material and construction declined rapidly over the years, although some of their cotton and polyester blends had a kind of sheen to them that could last a lifetime.

2. The wear of the shirt changed from such a very comfortable, glove-type fit to one that just barely tolerable. Frequently, their 100% cotton broadcloth shirts would lose most of the original look and feel after just a few washes, and I even washed them by hand.

3. The shirt had a very particular kind of cut that was "box-y" in the shoulders and chest.

4. They consistently produced the most beautiful fabric colors and designs, unlike that of any other shirt-maker I have ever come across while shopping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads